BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
hondaluvr1985
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Thinking of a 370Z....

Test drove a 370Z today and am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger. I love my 135i tremendously and think it's the best car I've owned performance wise...but the out of warranty issues scare me. I liked the 370Z and think now would be the time to commit to a true sports car (no kids) and was wondering if you guys had any first hand experience with them. Everything I've read or watched leads me to believe the 370 is a solid car with no real issues.

I'm also cross-shopping the Cayman, but can't afford new optioned out as desired. I would rather buy a new (had a bad experience used last time around with the 135i) 370Z fully-loaded. The Cayman is in my future somewhere though....

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
NYC 135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

If you really want to keep the car get some kind of extended warranty or look for a newer 1er or maybe even a 1M(If thats in your price range) If not the 370 is a great car but boost is very addicting and you wont realize until its gone, trust me i didnt think i missed it after i sold my evo i went to a 328 and i sold it in 3 months for a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Have you had any problems with the 135i or are you just worried in general?

I liked the 370, but wanted a backseat, and the interior was way too plasticy, (plus I wanted to do European Delivery, but that's another topic).

Not directly related, but my wife's 06 330i has been bulletproof out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaluvr1985 View Post
Test drove a 370Z today and am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger. I love my 135i tremendously and think it's the best car I've owned performance wise...but the out of warranty issues scare me. I liked the 370Z and think now would be the time to commit to a true sports car (no kids) and was wondering if you guys had any first hand experience with them. Everything I've read or watched leads me to believe the 370 is a solid car with no real issues.

I'm also cross-shopping the Cayman, but can't afford new optioned out as desired. I would rather buy a new (had a bad experience used last time around with the 135i) 370Z fully-loaded. The Cayman is in my future somewhere though....

I actually sold my 370z about 2 months ago to get a 135i. The 370z was a lot of fun, but you're pretty much stuck with about 350 crank horsepower. It handles VERY well with just some sway bars, but it has a lot of issues if you are looking at tracking it. It is not a very comfortable car and is very loud on the highway or just 50mph roads.

I would buy one again I guess, but the limited power on that motor is a major drawback to me. It will feel slow to you if you had a JB4 or similar on your Bimmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
370Z is a rough riding and loud car compared to the 135i, and quite frankly, the engine VQ35HR (I think) needs as much attention as the N54/N55. It is highly stressed and must run a special synthetic oil that is even more expensive than the BMW prescribed Castrol.

Personally, I prefer the G37, but they are heavy cars compared to the 1er. The good thing is, at least on the G37 Sport, there is a VLSD, but no DCT is available.

But I would choose a Nissan over an Audi product any day for reliability.
The motor in the 370 is a VQ37HR. It doesn't need a special oil, but the dealer only allows techs to put in a Nissan ester oil that bumps the price of an oil change to a ridiculous $80 some odd dollars. It is quite reliable, and you can find them pretty cheap...but if you're going to do anything other than drive it on the weekends around town it might not be your best option.

For the track you will NEED (Not like to have):
- Race pads, oem ones last about 3 hot laps before they glaze and you have literally NO brakes...trust me
- Sway bars, unless you want to chew up an entire set of tires in one day
- Oil cooler, it absolutely will overheat with about 10 minutes of track style driving and kick into limp mode

It is a pretty fun car and got a lot of looks. If it had more power, I would have probably kept it. I'm 20 and have a hard time getting in and out of it, so I can only imagine if you have bad knees or whatever. My parents both refused to get into the car more than once. Like I said though, for a car you drive a lot...probably not. Few track days a year and pleasure driving, might be the right vehicle for you
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
370Z is a rough riding and loud car compared to the 135i, and quite frankly, the engine VQ35HR (I think) needs as much attention as the N54/N55. It is highly stressed and must run a special synthetic oil that is even more expensive than the BMW prescribed Castrol.

Personally, I prefer the G37, but they are heavy cars compared to the 1er. The good thing is, at least on the G37 Sport, there is a VLSD, but no DCT is available.

But I would choose a Nissan over an Audi product any day for reliability.
I support this opinion with one minor correction: the 370z has the same engine as the G37 (3.7L), so it is not the VQ35HR.

That being said, 4 cars ago I used to own a 2008 G37S that I purchased brand new at the time. Bang for the buck in terms of gadgets, the japanese can't be beat; performance will take a hit, since the cars (both the 370z and G37) are not extremely light, and the engine has to really work in order for you to squeeze all the power out of them - typical for naturally aspirated engines. The oil that the engine needs is also a concern. If the Nissan-branded ester oil is not used, the car will start to emit a lifter-tick-like noise, which Nissan/Infiniti consider "normal and expected, unless the ester oil is used". Once I learned about this, I was slightly turned off by the monopoly that they have set on their oil.

I highly believe there is more of a driver/car connection in the 135i than there is in the G37 and/or the 370z (which I have also driven); there is just something about how planted the 135i feels. Just so you can judge the level of driving satisfaction our 135's can provide, my G37S was fully loaded, the whole shabang, you name it and it had it; yet my modestly equipped 135i has managed to make happier.

If you're looking for best bang for the buck in terms of packages/gadgets, Nissan/Infiniti can provide that at a much more affordable price. If you are looking for best bang for the buck in terms of performance, you may be disappointed if you leave the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
hondaluvr1985
Private
Rep

I agree with all said. I do not track the car (other hobbies and wife prevents), but I did read that the 370 needs attention before taking to the track. I agree, and know, nothing is going to come close to my 135i. That's why I bought it. I put 35K on it on one year though, now at 40K and have been to the dealer once every three months for warranty issues. I was even on the old school maint. plan and had anticipated on keeping the car until 100k. It seems like some 135 owners get lucky, and others like me, get finicky cars that require a lot of attention.

I would like to grab a N55 certified, but wonder what BMW would give me on trade for the same car...seems like a weird situation.

Appreciate all the comments!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
kgaler
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

I had a 05 350Z before the present 328xi. I loved it but it's more of a pure sports car in attitude. The interior is much cheaper than a BMW. The 350 didn't have the power of the 370, if it did I probably would have keep it.
I went for the 328 because I thought I needed all wheel drive and I really wanted a BMW.
Now that I'm moving to a 135i which is very close in performance to a 370, I just can't get past those butt ugly headlights on the 370. IMHO, they look like they were designed for a younger crowd.
And oh yes, the 350/370 forums (my350z.com) is full of kids for the most part. At least from my point of view, I'm 54.

I hope that helps.
      03-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
I agree with all said. I do not track the car (other hobbies and wife prevents), but I did read that the 370 needs attention before taking to the track. I agree, and know, nothing is going to come close to my 135i. That's why I bought it. I put 35K on it on one year though, now at 40K and have been to the dealer once every three months for warranty issues. I was even on the old school maint. plan and had anticipated on keeping the car until 100k. It seems like some 135 owners get lucky, and others like me, get finicky cars that require a lot of attention.

I would like to grab a N55 certified, but wonder what BMW would give me on trade for the same car...seems like a weird situation.

Appreciate all the comments!
I would recommend a 1M but you said you want an N55...in that case, you could always buy mine since I'm in line for a 1M
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

The 370Z was on my short list before I decided on the 135i. Why did the 370Z lose out?

1. Very rough ride
2. Cramped quarters
3. No back seat and modest stowage capacity
4. Power comes on just a bit slower
5. Unsophisticated dealer staff selling more Versas and Sentras than 370's
6. Design flaws. (Have you seen the fugly inside door panels? Yikes!)
7. Cheap hard plastic everywhere.
8. At 15,000 miles... a symphony of squeaks and rattles.
9. I am too old and stiff to climb up and down off the ground all day. Not the cars fault, but a critical factor for an old fat guy.

The 135i has NONE of these flaws and outperforms the 370 in every category. Good luck with your choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

You've got an 09 135. How close are you to being out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Looks alone. Couldn't buy a 370. Nissan hasn't made a body worth having since the early 90's 300z. Excluding the GT-R of course, but that's a different price range.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
I support this opinion with one minor correction: the 370z has the same engine as the G37 (3.7L), so it is not the VQ35HR.

That being said, 4 cars ago I used to own a 2008 G37S that I purchased brand new at the time. Bang for the buck in terms of gadgets, the japanese can't be beat; performance will take a hit, since the cars (both the 370z and G37) are not extremely light, and the engine has to really work in order for you to squeeze all the power out of them - typical for naturally aspirated engines. The oil that the engine needs is also a concern. If the Nissan-branded ester oil is not used, the car will start to emit a lifter-tick-like noise, which Nissan/Infiniti consider "normal and expected, unless the ester oil is used". Once I learned about this, I was slightly turned off by the monopoly that they have set on their oil.

I highly believe there is more of a driver/car connection in the 135i than there is in the G37 and/or the 370z (which I have also driven); there is just something about how planted the 135i feels. Just so you can judge the level of driving satisfaction our 135's can provide, my G37S was fully loaded, the whole shabang, you name it and it had it; yet my modestly equipped 135i has managed to make happier.

If you're looking for best bang for the buck in terms of packages/gadgets, Nissan/Infiniti can provide that at a much more affordable price. If you are looking for best bang for the buck in terms of performance, you may be disappointed if you leave the 135i.
I really have to disagree on this point. I have driven both on the limit, and in all honesty the 135i does not inspire much confidence in corners at high speed. Nothing coilovers aren't going to fix though

I felt very connected to the road in the Z, and the steering was almost perfect. The 135i is a little more numb as a result of being designed for comfort. The Z did not even take the slightest bit of comfort in mind, and could deal with the harsher handling which allows it to translate where you want to go quite well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

The auto rev-matching feature makes any pretender look like a heel-toeing hero. These things do go well on track though.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I test drove one and owned an 08 350Z for awhile. The 370Z is much more refined than it's predecessor, and a good bit more aggressive looking. Still not quite BMW refined, even compared to a "lowly" 1 series, but it's very good for an entry level Japanese sportster. It's kind of a bargain shoppers Cayman S/R...most of the bang for 1/2 the bucks which is not bad praise to begin with since the Cayman is likely the best pure driver's sports car built by anyone, ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
AlwayzUnce
Petey G
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

i got my 128 over the 370z... if i had it to do over again id prob get the 370 because of the power and sound. But the interior reminds me of a chevy cobalt. Plus, i wouldve had a very hard time leaving the BMW family.

Though i love the look of the 370 and that blue color is drooooool
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #16
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Cayman is boring, dont get a porche unless its a 911 IMO.

Whats wrong with another 135 if its the best car you've ever owned i dont see the problem with getting another... or is it out of your price range?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:40 PM   #17
outsider
The Show Goes On
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I've tried to have the 370z grow on me and even though it is MUCH better than the 350z, I just couldn't feel a connection to it when I drove it on the test drives I've been on with it. The 135 just feels so much better to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #18
C-Mac
Private
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 135i

I bought the 370Z in June 2010 and sold it six months later. On the plus side the Z had fantastic acceleration with no turbo lag, braking was precise, the car was built for cornering with a wide stance and extra wide tires. In the end the minuses outweighed the pluses for me. The engine was loud, which I could live with, it is a performance car, but the lack of any sound buffering in the rear wheel wells was aggravating. It's one of those things you figure you can live with, but after a few hundred miles of hearing every piece of gravel and road debris rattle around in the wheel wells it begins to bug. The blind spots on this car, especially when backing up are also a problem. I found myself backing out of parking spots, craning my neck to make sure that nothing was in my way, and then saying a little prayer as I maneuvered my car in reverse. I will say that the normally aspirated V6 hauls, the car sticks like glue, but as a daily driver, for me, wasn't practical. The 135i feels and sounds like a well made car, the Z like a car that was made for the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:55 AM   #19
Nishan
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2012 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I think the 370Z is a nice looking car, but it disappointed me the other week. I was in my 135i DCT and a friend was a in 370Z at a traffic light. We were just messing around, but I left him in my dust, literally!

I didnt know that the performance on the 370Z is that bad! Or maybe the 135 is that good
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #20
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
Looks alone. Couldn't buy a 370. Nissan hasn't made a body worth having since the early 90's 300z. Excluding the GT-R of course, but that's a different price range.
Hi Neighbor!

Now to the OP: The Nissan products aren't anywhere near as refined as our BMWs. For daily driving they are a chore unless you like sitting on the ground without any damping, and like to hear nothing but engine whine on the duration of your trip. That said they are quick and fun to drive, but not in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #21
hondaluvr1985
Private
Rep

I have considered another CPO 135i, but can't find a six speed anywhere near me with I-drive. Plenty of autos (would consider a DCT, but no slush box). My mistake this time around was not buying CPO. Now I'm 9K away from the end of warranty, and dont know if I should move on, buy new, extend warranty, or what. Had I just purchased with the CPO in the first place, I wouldn't be here, not to mention car might have been in better condition.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #22
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
I actually own a 370z (the wife's daily driver).

I would choose a 135i over a 370z any day.

The ride in the 370z is rough (ride quality and engine), loud, and god forbid you hit any potholes or bumps in the road. I don't mind it for short drives or if I feel like going out and screaming around some twisty roads.

Even consumer reports rates the 135i higher in many different areas.

It's one of those cars you love but not every day especially after a long hard day the last thing you want to hear is your brain rattle in your skull.
Appreciate 0