BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Replacing the 1M

I've been the owner of my 1M since April 28th 2011 i really like the car but i might like some novelty. What car MY22 would you replace the 1M with?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I've been the owner of my 1M since April 28th 2011 i really like the car but i might like some novelty. What car MY22 would you replace the 1M with?
Porsche is the only thing I can think of. Cayman. The clutch and gearbox only thing as good as 1M gearbox feel. White on black instruments, great seats. I'm getting a Cayman T to fill the huge void. If you like digital dashes and automatics then there are other choices from BMW but if you want something German with amazing manual and old school cockpit then Cayman is only thing I have found.
Appreciate 2
1mGator143.50
lowE88104.50
      12-04-2021, 11:07 PM   #3
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

I agree with @nachob
Cayman GTS 4.0 with a manual is closest to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #4
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

The GTS 4.0 is really an interesting package. I have not drive the 992 911 carrera s 7MT i wonder if it would feel as special as the 1M is.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The GTS 4.0 is really an interesting package. I have not drive the 992 911 carrera s 7MT i wonder if it would feel as special as the 1M is.
Bimmermat, the GTS 4.0 is the no-brainer as is the GT4 and Spyder. Yes, you cannot go wrong with those and in some ways they might even exceed the 1M in some areas like sound etc. But if you are a bit weird like me, let me you in on a little secret. Take a look at the Cayman T. It is an amazing package if you are ok not being the fastest drag racer on your street. The T has all the same options as the 4.0 but it uses the base motor and brakes. So you get the GTS 20mm drop sports suspension, 20" wheels in a bespoke color, LSD, sports chrono, all standard. Also, if you have followed me here, I was a big lover of basic, focused cockpits. The T has a couple of small things NOT available on the GTS. It is the only Cayman left that is offered with cloth seat inserts. Yes, Alcantara is awesome but for real everyday use, the cloth (Sports Tex) is more durable and still stays cool and grippy. The T also gets a bespoke all black dash trim, not shiny silver and best of all, it comes with the GT4 short shifter which is really cool, and not available on the GTS. Only the T and GT4 come with the short shifter from the factory.

Ironically, while the T is the purist version, people are ordering with all the fluff, power folding mirrors, heated steering wheels, 18 way seats and pinstriped offset stitching which makes them crazy expensive. Therein is the issue with the T. Almost everyone says it's an amazing driving experience but too expensive. The secret is, that it is supposed to be a lightweight, low option model. In europe, the Radio is optional to save weight. In the US, you cannot delete it because backup camera is mandatory, but people here blindly add Bose which adds heavier speakers, an extra subwoofer and an extra amp, not to mention adding $990 USD. They load them up with stuff that adds weight and negates the GT4 style pull latches x 10. So if you order a Cayman T, it comes loaded with what matters...GTS suspension, LSD, sports chrono with driving modes.

Now one thing is the motor sounds rough when starting and it doesn't sound as nice as the GT4 just like the 1M never sounded as good as the E90 M3 V8, but I drove one and perhaps because I am new to Porsches and to be honest, I have never liked the Porsche sound flat 6 anyway, once warmed up, I liked how it sounded. Maybe I was expecting my ears to bleed after all the hate thrown at the turbo motor but I enjoyed it. Ironically, I recently watched your fellow Savagegeese reviewers say the same thing. They liked it as well. So if you order a Cayman T with no options or just one or two, it is actually a very compelling car. So much so, that I ordered one. I could technically afford the GTS or even GT4 but at the time of ordering, the GTS had stop sale due to rod issues and I was sitting around the table talking college with my son. He is going to JC and will transfer to a state university and will need help with tuition for 2 or 3 years. Guess what, the difference between my T and GTS was exactly 3 years of tuition at our local state university.

Another factor is that the 1M, while not Tesla fast, was fast enough and I really enjoyed it. A fellow 1M owner sold his VO and bought a 2021 GT4. It is amazing and he took me for a drive down San Diego backroads and just like the E90 M3 was hitting go-to-jail speeds to hear the 8K RPM wail of this 4.0 motor. Sorry, but while I love the GT4, I just don't see myself doing that on public roads and my track days are over. The T motor has some lag down low but it spools to 7500 RPM and from 3-7K RPM is amazing yet you are MOSTLY under go-to-jail speeds. And if you really want to to jail, you can. It has a 170 mph top speed verified by several youtubers in Europe.

So, yes, the 4.0 is the sure thing, the obvious one, but if you respect what the T is about, low weight, options that don't add weight and order it with basic options, it is a really cool car. If you need all the motorized bidet and whatever gadget, then it doesn't make sense for anyone.

Finally, there is a long wait for the 4.0 cars, but the T is considered a regular Cayman so you might even be able to negotiate a small discount off MSRP if lucky. Best of luck! I hope you find something special because the 1M is very special for sure.

NOTE: I did go overboard and ordered the Shark Blue which adds $2600 and the painted side scoops for another $680..ouch but the white, yellow and even Red are very nice. The white looks great because it has the special anthracite wheels and side decals. I stayed with the plain, all black interior though.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 03-06-2022 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
1mGator143.50
      12-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #6
dkat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW Z8, 2011 1M, 2020 Por

I have an order in for a Lotus Emira First Edition.
supercharged V6 400 hp. Hydraulic steering. Last new ICE car from Lotus.
I think first editions are all spoken for but check it out. You want novelty, This car has that.
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkat View Post
I have an order in for a Lotus Emira First Edition.
supercharged V6 400 hp. Hydraulic steering. Last new ICE car from Lotus.
I think first editions are all spoken for but check it out. You want novelty, This car has that.
Yes that looks epic but I'm putting off digital dashes as long as possible. But if you don't mind it. Stunning machine
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #8
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Bimmermat, the GTS 4.0 is the no-brainer as is the GT4 and Spyder. Yes, you cannot go wrong with those and in some ways they might even exceed the 1M in some areas like sound etc. But if you are a bit weird like me, let me you in on a little secret. Take a look at the Cayman T. It is an amazing package if you are ok not being the fastest drag racer on your street. The T has all the same options as the 4.0 but it uses the base motor and brakes. So you get the GTS 20mm drop sports suspension, 20" wheels in a bespoke color, LSD, sports chrono, all standard. Also, if you have followed me here, I was a big lover of basic, focused cockpits. The T has a couple of small things NOT available on the GTS. It is the only Cayman left that is offered with cloth seat inserts. Yes, Alcantara is awesome but for real everyday use, the cloth (Sports Tex) is more durable and still stays cool and grippy. The T also gets a bespoke all black dash trim, not shiny silver and best of all, it comes with the GT4 short shifter which is really cool, and not available on the GTS. Only the T and GT4 come with the short shifter from the factory.

Ironically, while the T is the purist version, people are ordering with all the fluff, power folding mirrors, heated steering wheels, 18 way seats and pinstriped offset stitching which makes them crazy expensive. Therein is the issue with the T. Almost everyone says it's an amazing driving experience but too expensive. The secret is, that it is supposed to be a lightweight, low option model. In europe, the Radio is optional to save weight. In the US, you cannot delete it because backup camera is mandatory, but people here blindly add Bose which adds heavier speakers, an extra subwoofer and an extra amp, not to mention adding $990 USD. They load them up with stuff that adds weight and negates the GT4 style pull latches x 10. So if you order a Cayman T, it comes loaded with what matters...GTS suspension, LSD, sports chrono with driving modes.

Now one thing is the motor sounds rough when starting and it doesn't sound as nice as the GT4 just like the 1M never sounded as good as the E90 M3 V8, but I drove one and perhaps because I am new to Porsches and to be honest, I have never liked the Porsche sound flat 6 anyway, once warmed up, I liked how it sounded. Maybe I was expecting my ears to bleed after all the hate thrown at the turbo motor but I enjoyed it. Ironically, I recently watched your fellow Savagegeese reviewers say the same thing. They liked it as well. So if you order a Cayman T with no options or just one or two, it is actually a very compelling car. So much so, that I ordered one. I could technically afford the GTS or even GT4 but at the time of ordering, the GTS had stop sale due to rod issues and I was sitting around the table talking college with my son. He is going to JC and will transfer to a state university and will need help with tuition for 2 or 3 years. Guess what, the difference between my T and GTS was exactly 3 years of tuition at our local state university.

Another factor is that the 1M, while not Tesla fast, was fast enough and I really enjoyed it. A fellow 1M owner sold his VO and bought a 2021 GT4. It is amazing and he took me for a drive down San Diego backroads and just like the E90 M3 was hitting go-to-jail speeds to hear the 8K RPM wail of this 4.0 motor. Sorry, but while I love the GT4, I just don't see myself doing that on public roads and my track days are over. The T motor has some lag down low but it spools to 7500 RPM and from 3-7K RPM is amazing yet you are MOSTLY under go-to-jail speeds. And if you really want to to jail, you can. It has a 170 mph top speed verified by several youtubers in Europe.

So, yes, the 4.0 is the sure thing, the obvious one, but if you respect what the T is about, low weight, options that don't add weight and order it with basic options, it is a really cool car. If you need all the motorized bidet and whatever gadget, then it doesn't make sense for anyone.

Finally, there is a long wait for the 4.0 cars, but the T is considered a regular Cayman so you might even be able to negotiate a small discount off MSRP if lucky. Best of luck! I hope you find something special because the 1M is very special for sure.

NOTE: I did go overboard and ordered the Shark Blue which adds $2600 and the painted side scoops for another $680..ouch but the white, yellow and even Red are very nice. The white looks great because it has the special anthracite wheels and side decals. I stayed with the plain, all black interior though.
Thanks for informations! Well speaking of the T maybe a 992 Carrera T when they will be around keeping the back seat and having a lower weight focused car.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      12-12-2021, 05:52 AM   #9
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
How 'bout the MY22 generation of Subaru-BRZ/Toyota-GR86. Granted: the power is less but thats for a respectable reason: naturally aspirated. Especially because it's praised for balance and handling it caught my attention.

It starts at 30k$ so it's a lower price class all together. The Toyota version comes in Neptune Blue which looks like SharkBlue and LagunaSeca and looks as stunning as the 1M im opionion.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      12-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
How 'bout the MY22 generation of Subaru-BRZ/Toyota-GR86. Granted: the power is less but thats for a respectable reason: naturally aspirated. Especially because it's praised for balance and handling it caught my attention.

It starts at 30k$ so it's a lower price class all together. The Toyota version comes in Neptune Blue which looks like SharkBlue and LagunaSeca and looks as stunning as the 1M im opionion.
Good luck finding one at all, much less in a stick. It will be interesting to see what they're charging for them these days . . . when there's one to sell.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #11
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Even the original FRS/BRZ was highly praised and made the Car and Driver 10 best drivers' cars list. I believe it was the only car under $100k on the list and at the time MSRP was 25k.

I tried to find a used one for my son as a track car two years ago and anything stock, stick and in decent shape was $15k even looking for examples that were 5 years old with high miles. Instead We got an '05 RX8 with fairly new motor for $4200 and put about $1000 into it to address a few issues and another $1000 for brakes. Great track toy, and now he is daily driving it. He puts in premix with every fill-up….makes a motorhead dad proud.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #12
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Curious why there haven't been more 1M owners buying M2 CS's. I always wanted a 1M but stupidly passed on one, but didn't pass on an M2 CS. Its blown me away on how good it is and I'd never have a GTS 4.0 over it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 07:09 PM   #13
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Curious why there haven't been more 1M owners buying M2 CS's. I always wanted a 1M but stupidly passed on one, but didn't pass on an M2 CS. Its blown me away on how good it is and I'd never have a GTS 4.0 over it.
The M2 CS is the obvious answer, I think. Does anyone else think the Supra is a 1M knock-off?
Appreciate 1
1mGator143.50
      12-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #14
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

After all the thinking i will start shopping for a Cayman GTS 4.0 and keep the 1M as the value seem on the rise.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #15
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Yeah, keep the 1M.
Rare vehicle indeed.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #16
shadotracker
Rep
Drives: Ford Ranger

I also recommend the Cayman GTS 4.0, great car both on the road and cayons/track.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #17
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes that looks epic but I'm putting off digital dashes as long as possible. But if you don't mind it. Stunning machine
+1, have placed a reservation for an Emira. Lotus seems to be one of the few remaining car companies that seems to "get it".

Yeah not crazy about the digital dash... one of the things I love most about my 1M is the lack of digital screens. Keeps it feeling timeless.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00
      12-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #18
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
No, it is huge, electric brake, muffled sound, electric steering.

1M is more raw than base 911’s IMO.

GT3’s are a completely different subject. If going for a (new) Porsche the Cayman 4.0 would be my suggestion unless you need a backseat. Obviously all GT cars awesome, but older 911’s are more engaging than the new models IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #19
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I went to the LA Auto show and the 86 is a very intriguing car. I find. Myself liking the cheaper less HP cars more and more, as all my roads are becoming more and more busy with bikers/tourists/cars…. I just do not drive as fast as I used to - so feel and dynamics at slow speeds in a lighter package is the best option for my preferred roads. In person I loved the looks of the 86.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #20
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This really is an interesting package but the fact it's slower than the 1M is a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 1
PRTSB1M298.50
      12-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #21
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
No, it is huge, electric brake, muffled sound, electric steering.

1M is more raw than base 911’s IMO.

GT3’s are a completely different subject. If going for a (new) Porsche the Cayman 4.0 would be my suggestion unless you need a backseat. Obviously all GT cars awesome, but older 911’s are more engaging than the new models IMO.
I guess that the 911 being a turbo 6 don't bring the same passion as an N/A Cayman. I've been looking at the options i really think i will keep the 1M it really has an emotional value to me. So I'm left with sort of a rational choice going with a G80 6MT as a daily or the not so rational choice to get a Cayman GTS 4.0 but that will bring the total to 5 cars
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #22
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess that the 911 being a turbo 6 don't bring the same passion as an N/A Cayman. I've been looking at the options i really think i will keep the 1M it really has an emotional value to me. So I'm left with sort of a rational choice going with a G80 6MT as a daily or the not so rational choice to get a Cayman GTS 4.0 but that will bring the total to 5 cars
The 718’s are really good cars, but for me a G80 with 6MT is so intriguing because it is basically a M5 sized sedan with a manual.

Depends on use case - FWIW I have 4 vehicles plus my wife’s SUV so I am not the one you want to get advice from on car purchases.
Appreciate 0