BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
stevend218
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: In the left lane

Service due! ughhh ohhh....

So i'm bringing my 1er into the dealership for the first time since i've owned her. shes a 2011 135i with 11k miles on her... the issue is that she is heavily modified with nearly every bolt on imaginable. ill be taking the tune off but other than that im going to turn it in and hope for the best.... i'm in Phoenix AZ, anyone know how stingy these guys are? its just a regular maintenance service light.
      03-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I hear most dealers are ok with most mods, but I sure hope they treat you well. Just bolt ons shouldn't ruin it but depending on what the car needs they may not honor the warranty if they think the modded part has something to do with the issue you're having.
A simple service light for scheduled Mx shouldnt pose problems.
Good luck and let us know how the dealer treats you, but with a heavily modded car I wouldn't expect too much.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevend218 View Post
So i'm bringing my 1er into the dealership for the first time since i've owned her. shes a 2011 135i with 11k miles on her... the issue is that she is heavily modified with nearly every bolt on imaginable. ill be taking the tune off but other than that im going to turn it in and hope for the best.... i'm in Phoenix AZ, anyone know how stingy these guys are? its just a regular maintenance service light.

What is the service your car needs? Probably just an oil change since thats all that BMW dealers really do. I would just avoid the hassles(and possible voiding of your warranty!) and just do the oil change yourself or have your favorite indi shop do it. Make sure to use the correct oil (LL-1) and a BMW oil filter and keep your reciepts. You should be fine. Then use my DIY for resetting the 'service due" lights...

DIY resetting service "due" lights…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415111
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
stevend218
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the info. i figured it was just some dumb automatic service light. Ive changed the oil and saved the receipts with a BMW oil change kit put together for our cars. is there a way to check what service is due? the light im getting is a RED picture of the full car (not on a lift) and "03/2012" written underneath. note: when i installed my updated tune, one of the wire clip points was incorrectly manufactured and caused my car to go a little nuts, but was immediately fixed, and has been fine since. except now i have that red service light i just described.

thoughts?
and yes i have looked this up a few times, no real answers emerged.
      03-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

If you bought the car around March, 2011, then it is the yearly oil change which is due - but your car will tell you that.

So see "Service Requirements" in your owner's manual. It will describe how to check the mileage remaining or due date for each scheduled service through your iDrive or dash computer.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevend218 View Post
thanks for the info. i figured it was just some dumb automatic service light. Ive changed the oil and saved the receipts with a BMW oil change kit put together for our cars. is there a way to check what service is due? the light im getting is a RED picture of the full car (not on a lift) and "03/2012" written underneath. note: when i installed my updated tune, one of the wire clip points was incorrectly manufactured and caused my car to go a little nuts, but was immediately fixed, and has been fine since. except now i have that red service light i just described.

thoughts?
and yes i have looked this up a few times, no real answers emerged.

With the car running you should scroll thru the BC menu and see which service is due. I think its just red bc you have gone past your date of production(I bet your car was built or delivered in March right?).

You can also gain acess to the BC via my resetting DIY and reset the light of the red car. Some people have reported that some states require a yearly or bi-yearly safety inspection... and some dealers set up the BC menu to remind you of this. I think that's what the car symbol is on your car.

Also you can look in your service booklet for all the various car icons for services due. Every year you should replace the wipers and pollen filter besides changing the oil. Every two years you should change the brake fluid. And every 45K miles new spark plugs. Every 60K miles an air filter. Thats about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
stevend218
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ya im an idiot. i assumed the code was from my tune. but looked at it a bit more and messed with the controls. it was an oil change. thanks for the info guys. again, im an idiot. cheers