BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
barritt
Rep
Drives: 135i

iDrive updates require combox?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum as I just purchased a 2009 135i. After purchasing the car I I went through the iDrive system and noticed the maps are out of date. Upon further inspection and searching on the forum I confirmed I do have the CIC iDrive system but without a combox. Additionally I do not have a menu setting to update the iDrive firmware, or the maps through USB.

With more searching I found that it looked like the only way to update this firmware version of the iDrive was through the OBD2 port using ISTA/P and that requires some special cables and a power supply to maintain the appropriate voltage. Since I didn't have those things, I thought it might be easier to go to the dealer and get the update done. So, I went to the dealer asking for the software on my car to be updated (specifically iDrive) and 5 hours later my iDrive appears to be the same. When I noticed this before leaving I asked them if this was the latest update for my car, and they said the only way to update it further is to change out the hardware on the car.

So a note first, my ultimate goal is to do a combox retrofit, which I thought I would need the iDrive upgraded first to work properly. So a couple of questions:

1. Did I ask for the wrong thing at the dealership?
2. Will a combox retrofit work without updating the iDrive version?
3. Is a combox required to be able to do the updates through USB?
4. Did you get through all of this post? If so, thanks!

Other random information:
1. The car does have a USB port in the center console and the glove box if that makes any difference.
2. I have done coding before on an E46, so I have NCSExpert, INPA and associated cables if anyone needs me to pull info from the car.
3. In the navigation menu on the iDrive it says it's version 1.2.8 and Road Map North America PREMIUM 2009-1.

Thanks again for any help.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
LeoBurr
6MT Fanatic
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by barritt View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum as I just purchased a 2009 135i. After purchasing the car I I went through the iDrive system and noticed the maps are out of date. Upon further inspection and searching on the forum I confirmed I do have the CIC iDrive system but without a combox. Additionally I do not have a menu setting to update the iDrive firmware, or the maps through USB.

With more searching I found that it looked like the only way to update this firmware version of the iDrive was through the OBD2 port using ISTA/P and that requires some special cables and a power supply to maintain the appropriate voltage. Since I didn't have those things, I thought it might be easier to go to the dealer and get the update done. So, I went to the dealer asking for the software on my car to be updated (specifically iDrive) and 5 hours later my iDrive appears to be the same. When I noticed this before leaving I asked them if this was the latest update for my car, and they said the only way to update it further is to change out the hardware on the car.

So a note first, my ultimate goal is to do a combox retrofit, which I thought I would need the iDrive upgraded first to work properly. So a couple of questions:

1. Did I ask for the wrong thing at the dealership?
2. Will a combox retrofit work without updating the iDrive version?
3. Is a combox required to be able to do the updates through USB?
4. Did you get through all of this post? If so, thanks!

Other random information:
1. The car does have a USB port in the center console and the glove box if that makes any difference.
2. I have done coding before on an E46, so I have NCSExpert, INPA and associated cables if anyone needs me to pull info from the car.
3. In the navigation menu on the iDrive it says it's version 1.2.8 and Road Map North America PREMIUM 2009-1.

Thanks again for any help.
For map updates, you use the glove box usb port. Plug it in, it asks if you want to update the maps. No menu for that.
      11-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #3
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

I think you are mixing some terms.

What do you mean by updating idrive ?
You have to sepearate the different units, the Update stuff which is visible at the Idrive Menu is only if you have a Combox, and it is only updating the Combox Bluetooth Stack, not the Headunit and not the whole Combox.
As you have a USB Port at the center console, you probably have a MULF2 High.

The Headunit itself can only be updated with an ICOM Interface that is connected to the MOST Bus.
When you try it with an simple ODB2 interface (inpa) you will brick your unit as the connection speed is too low !

As your car is before 3/2010 you can not update it via USB,at least the Headunit does require an Update (via ICOM).

So either tell BMW that your car does need an update, most times they update the whole car to the latest "I-Stufe", or search a good coder near you.
Then you can Update your Map`s via USB, as DVD Updates are note availably anymore since 2015.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #4
barritt
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
I think you are mixing some terms.

What do you mean by updating idrive ?
You have to sepearate the different units, the Update stuff which is visible at the Idrive Menu is only if you have a Combox, and it is only updating the Combox Bluetooth Stack, not the Headunit and not the whole Combox.
As you have a USB Port at the center console, you probably have a MULF2 High.

The Headunit itself can only be updated with an ICOM Interface that is connected to the MOST Bus.
When you try it with an simple ODB2 interface (inpa) you will brick your unit as the connection speed is too low !

As your car is before 3/2010 you can not update it via USB,at least the Headunit does require an Update (via ICOM).

So either tell BMW that your car does need an update, most times they update the whole car to the latest "I-Stufe", or search a good coder near you.
Then you can Update your Map`s via USB, as DVD Updates are note availably anymore since 2015.

Kri
Thanks Kri! That was the answer I was looking for. I asked the dealer to update the whole system, but couldn't see a difference after it was done. Mostly because I was looking to get that update menu in the settings on iDrive. With you confirming that that update menu is only a function of the combox, it makes sense that menu isn't there.

Before I go further I guess I should confirm that they updated the headunit. Anyone know what I should look for to confirm that?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

When you do coding the Firmware version will be shown with the ipo file that is used.
latest version is C1A

Kri
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #6
cometman
Rep
Drives: e82 coupe

Sorry for the dig up but interesting information but i still dont get the order of things
i have a e82 08/2009 probably never had it cic updated, the only thing i update is the maps using the glove box usb.

i bought a combox for my e82 to upgrade from my mulf2/tcu present in the trunck. the objective is to have BT audio streaming and if possible bmw apps so i can have spotify on cic with controls on steering wheel.

So what should i do first, assemble the combox in the trunk and then go to the dealer to update my cic firmware or ask for the update and then assemble the combox at home?

i am afraid assembling the combox prior to my current configuration will mess up the system, am i right?
Appreciate 0