BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
Xsapper
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
Thanks for the reply (Kaigoss69)
So do you think if I purchase the same tweeters as the front set, they will plug straight into the mids at the rear?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsapper View Post
Thanks for the reply (Kaigoss69)
So do you think if I purchase the same tweeters as the front set, they will plug straight into the mids at the rear?
They have a different part number, and perhaps mount differently, but are priced closely (within $10). Have a look at RealOEM.

So you can just wire them into the midranges? They don't ned to be hi-passed or anything?
      04-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #25
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
They have a different part number, and perhaps mount differently, but are priced closely (within $10). Have a look at RealOEM.

So you can just wire them into the midranges? They don't ned to be hi-passed or anything?
They come with an in-line crossover.
      04-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #26
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
They come with an in-line crossover.
So, for example, in my system, the underseat subs, front mids, and front tweeters are being driven by an amp. The rear mids are being run off of deck power - I should be able to have the rear tweeters spliced into the rear mids and also driven by the head unit with no problems? Could pretty much any reputable stereo installer do this easily?

I realize there is probably very little real benefit to adding tweeters back there, but this appeals to the completist in me, and the rear HiFi tweeters are pretty affordable.
      04-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #27
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

Quote:
The only thing I can think is that the convertible has a different arrangement than the coupe, which wouldn't be unreasonable given it's much different acoustic requirements and higher price-point.

In fact, scanning the "audio background" document, I found this quote: This early version 1.0 does not attempt to cover E88 convertible systems. A future draft will address these.

So it would appear that perhaps the convertible has a modified version of the Stereo system - still ampless, but with front tweeters running off of deck power (perhaps rear tweeters as well?).

Maybe you could PM the author of that document, forum member VPElecticity, and ask about convertible audio. If you learn anything, let us know, because my curiosity is piqued now.

Good luck.
Looks like I didn't find an amp under the battery cover because the Alpine amp is the only one that goes there. The standard black factory amp is hidden on the left rear side of the trunk behind a panel that is much harder to remove. Here's a thread that shows it:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...move+amplifier

I'd like to see it to be absolutely sure, but it looks like a pain in the butt to get to. Based upon the fact that the tweeters are working and that it has plenty of volume I'm going to figure that the amp is under that panel on the side of the trunk and let it go at that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #28
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I remember when they announced the mid-cycle refresh of the 2011 models and they brought HiFi back. In fact, I just found the press release, I'm attaching it and quoting from it below:

"1 and 3 SeriesThe HiFi Sound System (676) that was previously standard prior to September 2009 production will again be standard for all 1 and 3 Series models produced as of September 2010. Compared to today’s basic stereo system, the HiFi Sound System adds the 180 watt multi channel amplifier with equalizing, along with an additional 2 tweeters in the front doors. With the addition of the tweeters the total speaker count is now 8, including the 2 midrange speakers in the front doors, 2 central bass speakers under the front seats, and the two midrange speakers in the rear.
The optional Harmon Kardon Surround Sound system (688) remains available for $875.
"

So your vehicle, produced in 06/10, really should not have HiFi. Unless the convertible is just different. This is confusing.

Either 1) these changes were incorporated into production earlier than anticipated, or 2) what we know about the coupe's sound systems doesn't apply 100% to the convertible's.

What's strange, and what I didn't realize, is that BMW seems to have deleted the rear tweeters when they reintroduced HiFi. The press realease talks about an 8-speaker system, when it used to be a 10-speaker system, like Top HiFi. RealOEM confirms this - from 09/10, the last month for which the site provides data, there is no part number listed for the rear "HiFi Tweeter" as in previous model years.

I looked again at RealOEM, this time for convertibles, which I hadn't been doing. It looks like for your production month the HiFi amp was standard maybe? Given that, and the presence of tweeters up front, I think you must have HiFi, and that convertibles (at least 135i's) continued to receive it standard while the coupes did not.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf September Changes[1].pdf (469.2 KB, 186 views)
      04-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #29
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
So, for example, in my system, the underseat subs, front mids, and front tweeters are being driven by an amp. The rear mids are being run off of deck power - I should be able to have the rear tweeters spliced into the rear mids and also driven by the head unit with no problems? Could pretty much any reputable stereo installer do this easily?

I realize there is probably very little real benefit to adding tweeters back there, but this appeals to the completist in me, and the rear HiFi tweeters are pretty affordable.
I thought about doing this but simply replacing the rears with a set of Alpine 2-Way Coaxials is way easier and way cheaper - and it's marginally better sound because you're upgrading the midranges as well...

A pair of these set me back $95 and took 20 minutes to install...

- Harlequin
      04-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I remember when they announced the mid-cycle refresh of the 2011 models and they brought HiFi back. In fact, I just found the press release, I'm attaching it and quoting from it below:

So your vehicle, produced in 06/10, really should not have HiFi. Unless the convertible is just different. This is confusing.

Either 1) these changes were incorporated into production earlier than anticipated, or 2) what we know about the coupe's sound systems doesn't apply 100% to the convertible's.

What's strange, and what I didn't realize, is that BMW seems to have deleted the rear tweeters when they reintroduced HiFi. The press realease talks about an 8-speaker system, when it used to be a 10-speaker system, like Top HiFi. RealOEM confirms this - from 09/10, the last month for which the site provides data, there is no part number listed for the rear "HiFi Tweeter" as in previous model years.

I looked again at RealOEM, this time for convertibles, which I hadn't been doing. It looks like for your production month the HiFi amp was standard maybe? Given that, and the presence of tweeters up front, I think you must have HiFi, and that convertibles (at least 135i's) continued to receive it standard while the coupes did not.
I suspect you are correct about the convertibles being different. My dealer, which tends to order cars with a lot of accessories didn't have the audio upgrade in any of their convertibles. I was concerned that I'd end up with a bottom end 10 watt per channel system, but when I turned it up on the test drive it was obvious that wasn't the case. For what it's worth, there are no rear tweeters in mine.

Thanks again for looking into this!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #31
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

I have a 2011 135i cab w/o harm k and I can confirm there are tweeters in the doors but no tweeters in the rear. I hated the system when I got it. Sooooo, I went and got a 6 channel amp,disconnected the factory amp and connected the aftermaket amp. I am VERY pleased with the sound. Speakers can handle the power and I have no complaints. Subs work better. Was getting that smell when I first put it in and thought I blem a speaker but I didnt. Guess it was just getting broken in. LOL Been working with no probs for 8 months. Just take the low level inputs going into the factory ampand splice on some rca's and plug em in tothe new amp. Didnt have to run any new wires either.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #32
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty View Post
I have a 2011 135i cab w/o harm k and I can confirm there are tweeters in the doors but no tweeters in the rear. I hated the system when I got it. Sooooo, I went and got a 6 channel amp,disconnected the factory amp and connected the aftermaket amp. I am VERY pleased with the sound. Speakers can handle the power and I have no complaints. Subs work better. Was getting that smell when I first put it in and thought I blem a speaker but I didnt. Guess it was just getting broken in. LOL Been working with no probs for 8 months. Just take the low level inputs going into the factory ampand splice on some rca's and plug em in tothe new amp. Didnt have to run any new wires either.
I might give that a try. Where was your factory amp located? I think it is in the drivers side rear corner of the trunk, but I want to be sure before I start tearing the liners out. What aftermarket amp did you put in?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #33
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
A pair of these set me back $95 and took 20 minutes to install...
Not a bad idea at all. How do you access the rear speakers anyway - does the grill just pop off or do you have to go in from underneath (through the trunk) somehow?
      04-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #34
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not a bad idea at all. How do you access the rear speakers anyway - does the grill just pop off or do you have to go in from underneath (through the trunk) somehow?
The grills unclip from the front (closest to seats) and then pull towards you to release the back edge.

I used a couple of disposable plastic knives (like you'd use for a picnic) to lever it up on the front edge.

Really easy...

- Harlequin
      04-11-2011, 04:30 AM   #35
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
The grills unclip from the front (closest to seats) and then pull towards you to release the back edge.

I used a couple of disposable plastic knives (like you'd use for a picnic) to lever it up on the front edge.

Really easy...

- Harlequin
And is it just plug-and-play? I've never done speakers before but I can't imagine this wold be very difficult.
      04-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #36
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And is it just plug-and-play? I've never done speakers before but I can't imagine this wold be very difficult.
Mounting them is pretty easy but there are a couple of tricks.

BMW use a 3-point mount and as you can tell from the pics the speakers have 4 mounting points.

You need to cut off one of the mount points with tin snips and you'll need a rather large washer to use for the 3rd mount (to hold the "top" side of the speaker in place) . You'll understand exactly what I mean when you drop the speaker in place.

The only other thing is that BMW use a (from what I can tell) proprietary connector on the end of the wires going into the speaker.

I just cut them off and soldered the wires from the alpine speakers onto the bare ends. If you wanted to make it possible to revert to factory speakers down the track then I guess you could try getting some of the BMW connectors from your dealer...

- Harlequin
      04-11-2011, 07:56 AM   #37
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

I never replaced the speakers. When I was looking to, they were very expensive for a pair of components for the front. Amp is located in trunk on drivers side. Rear fender. Take off that pretty lookin trunk liner and u will c it. Search for the wiring diagram online.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #38
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty View Post
I never replaced the speakers. When I was looking to, they were very expensive for a pair of components for the front. Amp is located in trunk on drivers side. Rear fender. Take off that pretty lookin trunk liner and u will c it. Search for the wiring diagram online.
What aftermarket amp did you use that worked well with the factory speakers?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #39
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

That would be me. I am not an expert on the verts, haven't had access to one, but if you have tweeters, it's not base Stereo.

The pic of the module is not an audio part - it's either the TPSM module or the BLuetooth module, I can't remember.

If your car has tweeters, it has an amp. Does your car have Equalizer settings and Surround/Logic 7 on/off settings? If yes to both, you have Top HiFi. If no to both, you have HiFi, and you should have a black amplifier under the driver's side trunk floor trim forward of the tail light and below.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #40
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
That would be me. I am not an expert on the verts, haven't had access to one, but if you have tweeters, it's not base Stereo.

The pic of the module is not an audio part - it's either the TPSM module or the BLuetooth module, I can't remember.

If your car has tweeters, it has an amp. Does your car have Equalizer settings and Surround/Logic 7 on/off settings? If yes to both, you have Top HiFi. If no to both, you have HiFi, and you should have a black amplifier under the driver's side trunk floor trim forward of the tail light and below.
Thanks for your help and taking time to reply. Since I posted the original questions I've determined that it is the HiFi. I don't have equalizer settings but have plenty of volume to hear it with the top down in traffic. The sound isn't perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. It's a convertible with the top down about 80% of the time here in Phoenix. It would be hard to appreciate a subtle difference in the sound under those conditions. I was curious what kind of aftermarket amp Shatty put in with his factory speakers, but I'll probably just leave it as it is. That way the warranty will should cover it if it breaks or one of the speakers dies.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #41
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Thanks for all the information. I'm afraid that I'm going to add to the confusion, though. The tweeters are definitely there. You can clearly see them and hear them. I'll post a picture below (it's not as good as your picture). The system puts out enough volume without distorting that you can hear it well while driving with the top down. It is at least comparable to the last two cars I've owned with optional extra cost sound. But when I pulled the panel out of the trunk expecting to find an amp, I did not find one. There is a silver box on passenger side that is probably something else, but could be an amp. I'll post a picture below.

I haven't heard of any 135 with working tweeters and no amp, so I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

According to the MY2011 Ordering Guide, the HiFi sound system was added as standard equipment in the 1-Series from 03/10-on. So your 06/10 should have the HiFi system, regardless of what the BMWNA release announced (09/10-on).

Last edited by Technic; 04-13-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #42
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i Black on Black

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Technic, so you are saying then, that any my2011 1 series should have the hifi (or top hifi if ordered) as long as it has a build date after 03/10? How can you check the build date on the car (sorry if this is a stupid question) I could have sworn that mine was built after this, but I picked up a pre-speced out model on the sale lot, and it definitely doesn't have tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #43
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
MY2011 production began in 3/11. My 2010 was built 2/10, and it was one of the last allocations/builds for 2010. Check your door jamb sticker.

Technic, what "ordering guide" is this based on? That would mean that no MY2011 cars were affected by the HiFi to Stereo downgrade...great news for MY2011 owners, but I wonder what took BMNA 6 months to announce it?
      04-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #44
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
MY2011 production began in 3/10. My 2010 was built 2/10, and it was one of the last allocations/builds for 2010. Check your door jamb sticker.

Technic, what "ordering guide" is this based on? That would mean that no MY2011 cars were affected by the HiFi to Stereo downgrade...great news for MY2011 owners, but I wonder what took BMNA 6 months to announce it?
Fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2011 BMW Vehicle Specifications for Online Ordering.pdf (215.5 KB, 236 views)
Appreciate 0