BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #23
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
What's going on in Sydney? Up here we constantly hear and read about drive by shootings, gang wars, knee cappings and now this.
Mate - It's not as bad as they make it sound. Sydney's a great city.

There are certainly issues, and they do occur daily. But I really don't think it's any worse than any other 5Mil + city in the world. And at the risk of being offensive, it tends to be localised in parts of Sydney - as it usually is in most cities. But it makes for great 6pm news, and front page tabloid.

That's what makes this all the more unusual - I don't live anywhere near an area that you'd expect this to happen.

IMHO - this is kids (it's school holidays here), either bored, drunk or both(we have a park 100metres from us where they get pissed). Deciding to "have some fun". It's just not very funny for us folks with double-digit IQ's.

What does make it all the more concerning is they also had a crack at the front do of a house about 100metres up the street.

Now that could have been nasty.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #24
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

@Kenny:
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #25
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sorry to hear mate, that's just terrible. Things like this really make my blood boil!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #26
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

WHAT???
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
WITHOUT GLOVES.
Burning cars I can live with - this is just too much

We need to assemble a vigilant force -- IMMEDIATLY
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #27
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 02:44 AM   #28
GClark91
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 SB 118d

This is why i worry about leaving my car anywhere but in the locked garage under my house! So sorry to hear about this, as someone said jealously is a cruel beast!
      04-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #29
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
What you read about is only the tip of the iceberg. It's like Mad Max 2 here every day. The streets are littered with wrecked cars and trucks, burning slowly in their own fuels and oils. Bisexual warrior bikies with platinum mohawks pull steel crossbow bolts from their bodies at every traffic light.

There are even some suburbs where woman go about unaccompanied by a chaperone and WITHOUT GLOVES.

The end of the world is nigh.
Absolute scum indeed. Don't know if it's ending, but it's definitely going to the dogs.
      04-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #30
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
wow that terrible!! I dont get why people do this sort of crap.

I hope your daughter is ok....
      04-10-2012, 04:31 AM   #31
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
It's just not very funny for us folks with double-digit IQ's.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:52 AM   #32
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:

Bisexual warrior bikies with platinum mohawks pull steel crossbow bolts from their bodies at every traffic light.
Ah yes, we have trouble with uncontrolled busking here as well. I just try to pretend that I haven't noticed them.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #33
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Im so sorry for this to happen mate. Security in Australia worries me alot these days.....

Slightly off topic but a few months ago they were car-jacking over here in Perth - the road where my GF lives.... they managed to car-jack the SAME car she owned, but thank god it wasn't her.

Atleast everyone's okay!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #34
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Sorry to hear that mate... I really don't know what to say. I guess there is no evidence left? The worst thing is those kids would be feeling proud of what they do when it was reported every where. My neighbour went off the road because someone has taken the bolts on the wheel hub of his boat trailer.

I am not saying I rather to be in a war zone but at least things like these happens in those places because there is a reason. Things happening here has no reason apart from kids having fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #35
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Terrible to hear of such things happening especially in an area such as St Ives.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #36
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks again folks for all your comments - it really does make a difference.

Daughter is fine - she's accepted it, and seems to be moving on - luckily she's interstate for work - I think being physically removed is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I guess there is no evidence left?
Not really - we found a beanie when the dragged the car away to put it on the flat-bed. The police suspect it was covered in some kind of fuel and used to start the fire. But after the water and foam, they didn't expect to find anything useful - but they did take it for analysis.

They seem to be taking it very seriously, particularly in light of the attempt to do the same thing to a neighbours front door on the same night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbce90 View Post
LOLNo it was a TSI
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #37
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Always happens in droves. The night my WRX was set alight 4 other cars were done in the area. And there were signs that the ignition was jimmied.

Loose kids on school holidays. It makes you wonder where the parenting is?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #38
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Seems it not enough to blow up a letter box or two on cracker night anymore, you have to torch cars for fun.

I suggest that if parents are made to compensate for their children's delinquency, ( because the courts sure let minors off ), we would see some real parenting.

Last night on TV an Afghan villager who lived under the Taliban was talking of the brutal repression, however one thing he mentioned was that anyone could safely walk around, even with a bag of gold, such was the fear of the punishment consequences of crime. I'm not suggesting cutting off peoples hands but 200 hours of so called community service is a joke to offenders.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #39
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Seems it not enough to blow up a letter box or two on cracker night anymore, you have to torch cars for fun.

I suggest that if parents are made to compensate for their children's delinquency, ( because the courts sure let minors off ), we would see some real parenting.

Last night on TV an Afghan villager who lived under the Taliban was talking of the brutal repression, however one thing he mentioned was that anyone could safely walk around, even with a bag of gold, such was the fear of the punishment consequences of crime. I'm not suggesting cutting off peoples hands but 200 hours of so called community service is a joke to offenders.
Here here!!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #40
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:

perhaps we can get together and be grumpy old men and set up a free belting service

Oh and work part time for NSW corrections
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #41
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
perhaps we can get together and be grumpy old men and set up a free belting service

Oh and work part time for NSW corrections
I'm in

I'm going to suggest that, in return for no criminal offence being recorded (to give the kid a break and not screw his life because of an act of juvenile stupidity), the total cost of all this, including police, fire brigade, court and my families time be valued reasonably. And the brat/s that did this be forced to wash my daughters car weekly - TO MY STANDARDS, and the cost of fixing any damage caused in the process (scratches, marks, etc be added to the equation). Their time be valued the same as the folks that work at a commercial carwash - for their age. And that a total number of hours be worked to offset the total costs.

So if the total cost of everyones involvement came to $10,000, and a 16 year old gets $15/hr at a commercial carwash. They owe the court 10000/15 = 667 hours of car washing. If we assume 2 hours, once a week - my daughters car will be washed every week for the next 6.4 years.

In addition, to help them understand the value of mobility, prohibit them from getting a drivers licence until they're 25. And if they already have a licence, cancel it for an equivalent period.

Or, give me 10 minutes with them, in private. Either way, I think they'll learn the personal benefits of not messing with other people's stuff. Which would clearly benefit everyone.

Unfortunately, what's more likely to happen is, they'll go before an overly-sympathetic magistrate, who'll give them their 6th stern and final warning, and not record a charge, much less a conviction.

Unless of course, they end up in front of magistrate Pat O'Shane, in which case, they'll be paid compensation because the police haven't shown enough sympathy with them for being left-handed and told them how cool their haircuts are. And the police will be referred to internal affairs for diciplinary action.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #42
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm in

I'm going to suggest that, in return for no criminal offence being recorded (to give the kid a break and not screw his life because of an act of juvenile stupidity), the total cost of all this, including police, fire brigade, court and my families time be valued reasonably. And the brat/s that did this be forced to wash my daughters car weekly - TO MY STANDARDS, and the cost of fixing any damage caused in the process (scratches, marks, etc be added to the equation). Their time be valued the same as the folks that work at a commercial carwash - for their age. And that a total number of hours be worked to offset the total costs.

So if the total cost of everyones involvement came to $10,000, and a 16 year old gets $15/hr at a commercial carwash. They owe the court 10000/15 = 667 hours of car washing. If we assume 2 hours, once a week - my daughters car will be washed every week for the next 6.4 years.

In addition, to help them understand the value of mobility, prohibit them from getting a drivers licence until they're 25. And if they already have a licence, cancel it for an equivalent period.

Or, give me 10 minutes with them, in private. Either way, I think they'll learn the personal benefits of not messing with other people's stuff. Which would clearly benefit everyone.

Unfortunately, what's more likely to happen is, they'll go before an overly-sympathetic magistrate, who'll give them their 6th stern and final warning, and not record a charge, much less a conviction.

Unless of course, they end up in front of magistrate Pat O'Shane, in which case, they'll be paid compensation because the police haven't shown enough sympathy with them for being left-handed and told them how cool their haircuts are. And the police will be referred to internal affairs for diciplinary action.
what you gunna do them twice go a little easy and settle for 5, I reckon they'll know after the first time
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #43
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
what you gunna do them twice go a little easy and settle for 5, I reckon they'll know after the first time

Not quite what I had in mind - but I guess, either way, they'd be pretty f***ed
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #44
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Not quite what I had in mind - but I guess, either way, they'd be pretty f***ed
well I thought seems as they buggered your daughters car... you know an eye for an eye
Appreciate 0