BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #23
805beemer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

So I had the muffler shop slide in a piece of ~3" long pipe to block off the holes inside the resonator and weld the muffler back together. It sounds a little bit louder, but not much. Only cost me $50 plus the header wrap so I'm not complaining. I'm surprised it's not louder since I have n55 mids although I do have stock dp's. Never heard the pe in person but from YouTube it sounds louder than my setup. I'll try and get some vids up soon. In hindsight I would have wrapped both pipes and I still might.

Also the pipe wasn't welded in place yet in the pic.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by 805beemer; 04-12-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #24
mike082802
Captain
38
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: 2010 135
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
So I had the muffler shop slide in a piece of ~3" long pipe to block off the holes inside the resonator and weld the muffler back together. It sounds a little bit louder, but not much. Only cost me $50 plus the header wrap so I'm not complaining. I'm surprised it's not louder since I have n55 mids although I do have stock dp's. Never heard the pe in person but from YouTube it sounds louder than my setup. I'll try and get some vids up soon. In hindsight I would have wrapped both pipes and I still might.

Also the pipe wasn't welded in place yet in the pic.
any videos yet? thinking about doing this.

anyone else do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #25
E82135i
Private
7
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
any videos yet? thinking about doing this.

anyone else do this?
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #26
805beemer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
any videos yet? thinking about doing this.

anyone else do this?
Cars at the dealer getting a few things taken care of before my cpo expires. The mechanic that just installed my clutch/flywheel did say he loved the exhaust. Once I get the car back I'll get some vids for you guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:05 AM   #27
E82135i
Private
7
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
Cars at the dealer getting a few things taken care of before my cpo expires. The mechanic that just installed my clutch/flywheel did say he loved the exhaust. Once I get the car back I'll get some vids for you guys.
can't wait !
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #28
E82135i
Private
7
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
Cars at the dealer getting a few things taken care of before my cpo expires. The mechanic that just installed my clutch/flywheel did say he loved the exhaust. Once I get the car back I'll get some vids for you guys.
no vids yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #29
805beemer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

I'll try and take one tonight. I just got my car back on Saturday and my clutch isn't broken in yet so won't be going WOT for awhile but you'll still get an idea of how it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #30
mike082802
Captain
38
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: 2010 135
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
I'll try and take one tonight. I just got my car back on Saturday and my clutch isn't broken in yet so won't be going WOT for awhile but you'll still get an idea of how it sounds.
i might do this friday. where did you slide the 3" pipe in? so you didn't actually cut the muffler open and only weld the perforated pipe with the big holes?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #31
805beemer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
i might do this friday. where did you slide the 3" pipe in? so you didn't actually cut the muffler open and only weld the perforated pipe with the big holes?
I did both. Cut open muffler and wrapped the pipe with the large perforated holes. Then had the resonator holes blocked off as you can see in the picture I posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #32
E82135i
Private
7
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
I did both. Cut open muffler and wrapped the pipe with the large perforated holes. Then had the resonator holes blocked off as you can see in the picture I posted.
that pipe you used to block resonator holes, are they welded? and why only the large perforated holes? why not both?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #33
805beemer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

Yes the pipe was welded in place, but only on one end, the side closest to the rear of the car. Reason I only wrapped the pipe with the large holes was according to the OP he boroscoped a PE and the pipe with the large holes was a solid pipe but the other pipe still had the small holes. So I was just trying to replicate the PE.

Was busy tonight, will get some vids tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #34
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aiken SC

iTrader: (0)

Got around to doing this over Memorial Day weekend; very happy with the results. Exhaust sounds amazing, barely louder while cruising but sounds very aggressive upshifting/getting on it. Great DIY--just need to throw some new tips on to get it looking as good as it sounds



Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #35
e36addict
Captain
United_States
89
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tim @ BMW of Dallas

iTrader: (5)

Sweet! Did you wrap only the one or both pipes?
__________________
'97 M3/4/5 - Boosted.
'98 Z3 2.8 Roadster - AKG poly everything, GC coilovers. 225k and climbing.
'99 Z3 2.8 Coupe - Stock (for now)
'13 Smart Fortwo - DD/beater.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #36
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aiken SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Sweet! Did you wrap only the one or both pipes?
I only wrapped the one with larger holes in it. I'll try to get a video soon for comparison purposes to yours--definitely a true hot rod mod; I respect your ingenuity sir

What are you calling this mod btw? PE mod? e36addict exhaust mod? I feel like this is eventually going to get stickied like the golf tee mod haha
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #37
e36addict
Captain
United_States
89
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tim @ BMW of Dallas

iTrader: (5)

Haha that would be great if it got stickied.. We could call it the TimMod lol
__________________
'97 M3/4/5 - Boosted.
'98 Z3 2.8 Roadster - AKG poly everything, GC coilovers. 225k and climbing.
'99 Z3 2.8 Coupe - Stock (for now)
'13 Smart Fortwo - DD/beater.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #38
805beemer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quick vid of cold start

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #39
mike082802
Captain
38
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: 2010 135
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ny

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
Got around to doing this over Memorial Day weekend; very happy with the results. Exhaust sounds amazing, barely louder while cruising but sounds very aggressive upshifting/getting on it. Great DIY--just need to throw some new tips on to get it looking as good as it sounds



what did you use to cut the muffler open?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:57 PM   #40
805beemer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lompoc, CA

iTrader: (4)

Grinder and a metal cutoff wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #41
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Aiken SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
what did you use to cut the muffler open?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
Grinder and a metal cutoff wheel
Yup--4.5 inch angle grinder and a steady hand. I just back filled the overlapped cut lines with excess weld and ground smooth to check for holes, then applied a fatter bead to make it look pretty and ground smooth again.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #42
E82135i
Private
7
Rep
86
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
Quick vid of cold start
Nice!! Op's set up drones around 1900(I think thats what he said), does yours drone?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #43
Stvee
Private First Class
10
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

I'm planning on doing this on my n54 shortly. I'm only going to wrap the one pipe so that it emulates the BMW PE and hopefully doesn't drone.

One of my friends should have some spare exhaust wrap after this weekend, so hopefully I can get it done next week. How much did you all end up using? It doesn't look like it takes more than a couple feet.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #44
Dmacc
Colonel
138
Rep
2,804
Posts

Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (1)

Sounds good! Now for a downpipe
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST