BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #23
ztrack157
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Central Valley, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The "Genuine" plugs are a 100k mile NGK LASER PLATINUM so likely not an issue yet. But if you are throwing a code for a misfire it is definitely an issue elsewhere in the ignition system. Cylinders misfire all the time it is just dependent on what the Manufacturer sets as its limit of acceptable misfires then it is 150% of that to throw the code. $MODE6 in higher end scan tools will show this limit.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #24
NiamLeeson
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlerbeatdown View Post
Just PM me and I'll send it to you. I'm wondering the best place to post it. Stinks you can't just attach PDFs into the forum. Unless I'm wrong? Let me know. I can't get to google drive at work.
Can you send me that PDF as well please? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #25
1Hokie
Banned
16
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: 08 328i, 10 z4 35i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: crystal city

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Really would love this warranty pdf too... I brought it up with a dealership in va/dc area and they denied it persistently.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 04:03 PM   #26
NiamLeeson
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

I tried private messaging mahlerbeatdown for a copy of the PDF but it says he cannot accept any more private messages. Please check this, and post it to here mahlerbeatdown!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #27
1Hokie
Banned
16
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: 08 328i, 10 z4 35i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: crystal city

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
ive called every MD dealership and theyre all saying fuel injectors are not part of the "fuel delivery system" covered under the SULEV warranty... I've emailed BMWNA for hopes of something more concrete from them
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #28
NiamLeeson
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Interesting. How are fuel injectors "not part of" the fuel delivery system. LOL. Anyway, I'm in California and I hope I never have to go through this but let me know if BMWNA replies to you, 1Hokie. :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #29
1Hokie
Banned
16
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: 08 328i, 10 z4 35i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: crystal city

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiamLeeson
Interesting. How are fuel injectors "not part of" the fuel delivery system. LOL. Anyway, I'm in California and I hope I never have to go through this but let me know if BMWNA replies to you, 1Hokie. :-)
Bmwna ended up replying with the "see your local service specialist at a dealership"

But, out of the 4 dealerships in Maryland, the one at silver springs actually took the effort to email their district rep for clarification who agreed if the fuel injectors are bad they will cover it.

All other stealerships gave me a hard time no matter what I said

Yay for the one decent dealership out there!

So hopefully they'll see the 4 misfire codes I'm getting now are related since it has new coils and plugs already.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #30
NiamLeeson
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hokie View Post
Bmwna ended up replying with the "see your local service specialist at a dealership"

But, out of the 4 dealerships in Maryland, the one at silver springs actually took the effort to email their district rep for clarification who agreed if the fuel injectors are bad they will cover it.

All other stealerships gave me a hard time no matter what I said

Yay for the one decent dealership out there!

So hopefully they'll see the 4 misfire codes I'm getting now are related since it has new coils and plugs already.
Good to know, thanks for the update!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #31
Swimjim
Private First Class
Swimjim's Avatar
15
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2008 128i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

please send copy of sulev n51 warranty!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #32
Fes128
Private
7
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Torrance, Ca

iTrader: (0)

This is great! Thank you for posting OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #33
ubersteuer
e36 Addict
ubersteuer's Avatar
United_States
240
Rep
527
Posts

Drives: e36, e82, e91
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [4.75]
1992 BMW 325i  [5.00]
Does anyone have the warranty PDF to post up?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:41 AM   #34
Motohip
Lieutenant
Motohip's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
438
Posts

Drives: 128i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PDX

iTrader: (5)

http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_98389473...9344d8c78.arox
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2017, 12:20 AM   #35
yankee2
New Member
3
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i coupe 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Acton, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Yea I hate when dealers don't know this stuff. I remember someone had said the SULEV components are covered for an extended warranty, but only in California. Good to know other states (especially PA!) are covdered too.

Would the labor having them installed be warrantied though?
This is only logic, and not law, but I don't think the warrantee can apply only in CA. That would put even original SULEV buyers at an extreme disadvantage in the market, by effectively making out-of-state sales much less viable. It would punish buyers who move out of state! Why should it do that? It's a bad design flaw (that this pump costs so much to replace). It would screw those buyers out of a warranty they might need and deserve! I think that the warrantee must be transferable to new owners of those cars, and valid regardless of where we sell or take them. The labor must, logically, be needed because of the part failure, so must also be covered.

BMW made SULEVs for its own benefit, to satisfy a regulator and open a market; it cannot simply transfer the associated liability, without so much as giving notice, to their buyers or to subsequent owners. Think of the bad publicity, not to mention lawsuits that would occur if it did! No, this fix, if it is ever needed, costs about as much as a new motor! That is, it costs way too much! BMW can't possibly think it should saddle owners with it.

I think that most likely this story has grown way out of proportion to the actual problem, because of the cost of the repair, which is outrageous even by BMW standards, and because of the lack of information from BMW. I think it's very likely that BMW will cover affected cars under the 15 year, 150K warrantee, no matter where they are located.

If they don't, there will be hell to pay!

I am an interested party, because I own one...

Last edited by yankee2; 08-27-2017 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: to correct typos
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #36
Degator86
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee2 View Post
This is only logic, and not law, but I don't think the warrantee can apply only in CA. That would put even original SULEV buyers at an extreme disadvantage in the market, by effectively making out-of-state sales much less viable. It would punish buyers who move out of state! Why should it do that? It's a bad design flaw (that this pump costs so much to replace). It would screw those buyers out of a warranty they might need and deserve! I think that the warrantee must be transferable to new owners of those cars, and valid regardless of where we sell or take them. The labor must, logically, be needed because of the part failure, so must also be covered.

BMW made SULEVs for its own benefit, to satisfy a regulator and open a market; it cannot simply transfer the associated liability, without so much as giving notice, to their buyers or to subsequent owners. Think of the bad publicity, not to mention lawsuits that would occur if it did! No, this fix, if it is ever needed, costs about as much as a new motor! That is, it costs way too much! BMW can't possibly think it should saddle owners with it.

I think that most likely this story has grown way out of proportion to the actual problem, because of the cost of the repair, which is outrageous even by BMW standards, and because of the lack of information from BMW. I think it's very likely that BMW will cover affected cars under the 15 year, 150K warrantee, no matter where they are located.

If they don't, there will be hell to pay!

I am an interested party, because I own one...


I am having an issue with my 328i 2011 sulev. Has only 67,000. It seems my pvc valve has gone bad and making a huge noise, so I've been told I need to replace valve cover completely, from the warranty stated it should be cover since it's emmisions problem. I live in Florida, I am gonna try the dealership close to me and see what happens, there are 3 within 30 mins so I'll try all three and see what answers I get and I'll report back. I agree completely with your stament, why put this warranty, but only apply to certain states, that's bs. What do I need to do, pay to register it in a state on the books and then file. Seems really stupid, they should cover regardless. Car came from being registered in NJ where the original owner had it, then to Pennsylvania, last stop was Tampa fl where I now am second owner. If that's the case, the first owner should of never let the car leave the state it was covered in.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #37
mmmm_beer
New Member
2
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i Convertible
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degator86 View Post
I am having an issue with my 328i 2011 sulev. Has only 67,000. It seems my pvc valve has gone bad and making a huge noise, so I've been told I need to replace valve cover completely, from the warranty stated it should be cover since it's emmisions problem. I live in Florida, I am gonna try the dealership close to me and see what happens, there are 3 within 30 mins so I'll try all three and see what answers I get and I'll report back. I agree completely with your stament, why put this warranty, but only apply to certain states, that's bs. What do I need to do, pay to register it in a state on the books and then file. Seems really stupid, they should cover regardless. Car came from being registered in NJ where the original owner had it, then to Pennsylvania, last stop was Tampa fl where I now am second owner. If that's the case, the first owner should of never let the car leave the state it was covered in.
I had a similar issue, I needed a new valve cover due to a bad pvc and a new eccentric shaft sensor. If I had lived in CA instead of AZ it would have saved me the $1800 I paid (dealer quoted me $3.2k) to replace the valve cover and Eccentric Shaft Sensor. I mentioned the SULEV warranty to the dealer and the rejected it. The warranty does explicitly state it had to be currently registered in one of the mentioned states and AZ wasn't one of them. The 2011 might be a little different, some of the earlier years only mentioned that the car had to have been originally registered in one of those states so the semantics might be used to get it covered. BMW closed that loophole by 2013 which is my model year. Good luck with that!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #38
Gweeper64
New Member
Gweeper64's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: '13 128i N51 6mt M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Worcester, MA area

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have a current link to the SULEV warranty PDF?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #39
Gangplank
Colonel
Gangplank's Avatar
United_States
1122
Rep
2,467
Posts

Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sprt DCT - S
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Port St. Lucie, FL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gweeper64 View Post
Anyone have a current link to the SULEV warranty PDF?
Here ya go

https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...s_Coverage.pdf
__________________
2011 135i DCT | Sport pkg | PPK | Ohlins R&T swift sprigns | M3 front arms | Diff. brace | RSFB inserts.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:12 AM   #40
2013BMW128i
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW 128i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Excellent, informative thread. My 2013 128i coupe is starting to run a bit rough at 60K miles. Having this info 'could' be a great help. My 128i has always been a NJ car, so that may help. Also, still covered by the extended CPO. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #41
Gweeper64
New Member
Gweeper64's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: '13 128i N51 6mt M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Worcester, MA area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Thanks! (Delayed response)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #42
rowsdower
Captain
rowsdower's Avatar
523
Rep
632
Posts

Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I recently spoke to a local dealer about getting my valve cover replaced as my PCV has failed and whistles. My car is a 2011 N51, originally purchased in PA, then I bought it as a CPO and registered it in NJ for a few years, now I live in TX. My local dealer was extremely helpful and actually was trying their hardest to make this work, but it turned out that my car could not be covered under the SULEV warranty. The service advisor explained that since I'm in TX which does not offer any sort of warranty, they look to the original registration state to determine eligibility for the warranty (for me, that is PA though I never lived there).

In the PDF above, there is a section on states that have partially adopted the SULEV warranty, but not fully. These states are Oregon, Washington, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. It even varies by year and by state - for example, PA adopted the warranty for 2009 and 2010, but not for 2011. If my car were 1 model year earlier, I would have the warranty.

If you're currently registered in a SULEV state, I'm not sure how this changes things. What I mean is if I were still living in NJ, and bought the car in PA, I'm not sure which state would apply - the current registration state or the original registration state. It could be that since I'm in TX they look to original, but if you're in a SULEV state, they honor it - that's something worth checking into.

Unfortunately this means some of us have the lower performance and higher complexity, and higher repair costs, of the N51 without the warranty. I would advise any N51 owners to fully read the document and be aware of whether the warranty applies to you or not.

BTW, I was able to confirm that my local dealer has done multiple SULEV warranty jobs in the past, so if you are in TX with a California car, for example, and the dealer says they can't do the work - they can. Call up Autobahn BMW in Fort Worth if you need assistance.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:03 PM   #43
RF330
New Member
1
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 04 330 ZHP
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

My car was originally titled in Oregon and is now registered in NJ, both SULEV states. Would the warranty still be honored for work at a dealership in a non-SULEV state? The car is currently in Virginia with a college student but still registered in NJ. Need to know whether to swap cars and bring it back to NJ!

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #44
jmciver
Captain
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
279
Rep
653
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - STM, '05 M3 - IR
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
My car was originally titled in Oregon and is now registered in NJ, both SULEV states. Would the warranty still be honored for work at a dealership in a non-SULEV state? The car is currently in Virginia with a college student but still registered in NJ. Need to know whether to swap cars and bring it back to NJ!

Thanks in advance.
I think it is difficult to say for sure given the age of the SULEV cars now. Best bet is to go to a dealer with SULEV info and ask (including talking to a manager if necessary).

I recently purchased a 2009 128i w/145k+ miles on the clock to give to my high school kid. I was fixing all of the normal issues for this car (water pump, OFHG, etc.) and recently came across the SULEV info. The VCG was also leaking and I was able to get the dealer to replace the gaskets (the valve cover itself is not covered) and also the eccentric shaft sensor (due to oil in the plug) under the SULEV warranty. I am in MD (and the car is registered in WA) so I guess that helps - and the dealer in MD that did the work was very familiar with the SULEV warranty.

I actually bought all of the parts to do the VCG job myself (and an eccentric shaft sensor). I had them install the new valve cover since I knew the original one was on borrowed time (especially the integrated PCV system).

Good Luck!
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 - TTFS Tuned, VF Engineering Supercharged, 560HP Track Prepped Monster, Yet Still Very Streetable
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST