BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #1
jnagel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E87 130i

HD radio retrofit IBOC

Hi,

If anyone can help me, I've been spending a lot of time trying to find some information regarding the below. I am wanting to retrofit an IBOC tuner to my e87 but I have found different threads saying different things which has left me without a concrete understanding of my situation. What I want to know is:

1) is this possible in my vehicle? I know it is in the e90s. I do have a most connection in the boot meant for the cd changer which from my understanding can be used to provide power and connection to car for the IBOC tuner.

2) if it is possible, can someone provide a list of the parts I would need to get in order to successfully retrofit this. From my understanding, I believe you need the bracket, tuner and something called an antenna diversity module? What is this?

3) does anyone know of someone who provides all these parts? I read a thread from a couple years ago about someone offering the parts plus instructions but I haven't hear do anything from the OP.

As there is no official retrofit kit for this and I can't find any relevant information for my specific model online, I would really appreciate if someone could help or direct me to someone who can.

I am only wanting to do this as I would like to view the radio text while listening to fm radio and I discovered that this module provides that plus better sound quality. Would a DAB retrofit also provide what I am after? If not, does anyone know of any Oem retrofit I can do excluding a full idrive upgrade which would provide this functionality? BTW, I am from Australia (if that helps)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #2
jnagel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E87 130i

After speaking to other forum members regarding this, I believe the IBOC unit I see very specific to the model of your BMW and since there was no IBOC unit made for the e87 (from what I understand), it may be better trying to retrofit dab instead.

Does anyone know the necessary hardware needed for a dab retrofit in an e87 or anyone who can do this?

Really appreciate any help or suggestions you can provide.
Appreciate 0