BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
jamespaoli
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i

Key Fob buttons not working

Hello everyone, It seems i have found a few threads but nothing has been a solution. Starting a new thread to re-open this topic with my specific problem

2009 135i no comfort access package
Recently purchased the car, the FOB starts and the valet key works however the lock, unlock and trunk buttons on the FOB do not work. Ive tried the toothbrush charger, replacing and soldering the battery etc.

I bit the bullet and purchased a new key fob and key from the dealership and it performs identically like my origin al key fob. It wont lock, unlock or use the trunk with the buttons. It starts the car etc.

The dealer told me they need to initialize they key which will be about $200. I cannot find any evidence these keys need to be initialized and i am in belief maybe there is an issue with the car itself?
(May i please add i am a newbie to these cars and am reading as much as i can so please bare with me thanks)

Can anyone please shed insight if the key needs to be initialized and my oem key battery was just no longer able to recharge itself? Can anyone please suggest any components on the car that are needed for the key fobs buttons to respond with?

Thank you!

Last edited by jamespaoli; 05-24-2018 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: forgot to add a line
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Going to bump / add to my findings in case anyone can extend on that knowledge;
It seems the diversity amplifier antenna may be the root cause shown as #1 below

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=65_1804

Im wondering if i should order this part its relatively cheap and install it. I will need to remove the headliner and i am now curious can i just remove the rear portion of the headliner to get access to the amp?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #3
jamespaoli
Private
Rep

Bumping and adding new info in case anyone else can chime in.

Ive replaced the diversity antenna, didnt break anything in the process however key fob buttons still arent working. Going to bring car to dealer for a diagnosis
Appreciate 0