BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

It certainly ain't pretty...............

A friend recently followed me to my car after dinner, and as we approached it, he said,"Is that a 1M?", I replied, "indeed it is", he said, "I've read they're amazing, but it certainly ain't pretty!!" I said, "it absolutely is not pretty!"

And it got me thinking, I love beautiful cars, I love flowing lines and DaVinci inspired proportions, I love genius level balance. So why does this car speak to me so.......?

When I first set eyes upon it in real life, my first reaction was "Phwoooarr............... that's just silly!!!!.... Look at those arches! Look at that stance! That's a crazy looking car!!" Then when I drove it, my next thought was, now here is a car with a dynamic personality that perfectly matches its aesthetic. My third thought was....I must have one. It looks and drives angry, it looks like it would punch you if it had hands, someone once said to me, "if only it had the M3 V8", and my immediate response was no!..... it would just be wrong with a smooth, linear long revving V8, it needs to punch you in the face like the looks suggest it would if it could.

I parallel parked it in the city yesterday afternoon, and as we were looking for it, my wife said, "did we go the right way? I think we parked up the hill?" We kept walking scanning the sides of the line of cars, then there appeared this Bright white object with bulges and creases looking as much as possible like a roller skate with the massive looking wheels. Wife said "Ah...There's your crazy looking car!"...... I smiled to self.

I also test drove an M2 last week and after the drive, the sales rep said "the M2's amazing isn't it !?", then quietly added, "just don't sell the 1M to get one ok, never sell THAT car"

So back to the top, I was thinking, I wonder if anyone looked at their 1M for the first time and thought "now that's a pretty looking car" must have been very different thoughts methinks.......
Attached Images

Last edited by Goombeh; 06-09-2019 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 8
nachob2307.00
Tornado1M1207.50
JP-1M171.00
ayao627.50
Tinsta189.00
      06-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

The very first time I saw my car, my heart rate increased and I got really excited. It’s not a beautiful car like a DB9 — the proportions are all wrong. The car is an exaggerated caricature, but as an exercise in yobbish thuggery, it’s just right. After parking it at work, I inevitably turn around and give it an admiring look. (In this spirit, I can’t disagree with your characterization of it as a roller skate!)
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00
      06-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
they look dowdy in the front, fuck*t the 1M is amazballs!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

The 1M is simply a Bulldog!

A unique car in a wonderful little package 😍
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep

I like how the 1M looks especially compared to the now new M2 and its softer lines.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1207.50
      06-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #6
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

Maybe not a conventionally pretty car, but it is a uniquely BMW look. It simply cannot belong to any other brand.

When BMW decided they needed a small car of their own, Chris Bangle said he perfectly set up the hatchback to build on the coupe later on. It was also a soft hommage to the 2002 with the hard shoulder line running all around the car.

The front fender vents that were supposed to be punched out like the rear bumper vents, but cancelled due to cost / timing is an eyesore. The interior hasn't aged well either. But the general shape and stance is pure BMW.

The M2 is a prettier car, but it lost some hardcore BMW cues of the 1M imo. Replace the grill and badges on the M2, and it would be possible to convince someone that it is from a different brand. Maybe thats why they need massive grilles these days.

Proof: When Chevrolet showed the Code 130R Concept in 2012, people pointed out it looked exactly like a 1M!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:22 AM   #7
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
A friend recently followed me to my car after dinner, and as we approached it, he said,"Is that a 1M?", I replied, "indeed it is", he said, "I've read they're amazing, but it certainly ain't pretty!!" I said, "it absolutely is not pretty!"

And it got me thinking, I love beautiful cars, I love flowing lines and DaVinci inspired proportions, I love genius level balance. So why does this car speak to me so.......?

When I first set eyes upon it in real life, my first reaction was "Phwoooarr............... that's just silly!!!!.... Look at those arches! Look at that stance! That's a crazy looking car!!" Then when I drove it, my next thought was, now here is a car with a dynamic personality that perfectly matches its aesthetic. My third thought was....I must have one. It looks and drives angry, it looks like it would punch you if it had hands, someone once said to me, "if only it had the M3 V8", and my immediate response was no!..... it would just be wrong with a smooth, linear long revving V8, it needs to punch you in the face like the looks suggest it would if it could.

I parallel parked it in the city yesterday afternoon, and as we were looking for it, my wife said, "did we go the right way? I think we parked up the hill?" We kept walking scanning the sides of the line of cars, then there appeared this Bright white object with bulges and creases looking as much as possible like a roller skate with the massive looking wheels. Wife said "Ah...There's your crazy looking car!"...... I smiled to self.

I also test drove an M2 last week and after the drive, the sales rep said "the M2's amazing isn't it !?", then quietly added, "just don't sell the 1M to get one ok, never sell THAT car"

So back to the top, I was thinking, I wonder if anyone looked at their 1M for the first time and thought "now that's a pretty looking car" must have been very different thoughts methinks.......
Quote:

Funny. I test drove a M2 at the Bmw dealer a year ago and the sales manager said the same thing to me. Don't sell the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
Rekraps
USMA 81
United_States
Rep
Drives: Own two 1M's, VO total OEM

I'm sure many of you have had the same experience. My son and I took the 1M to "top off" the gas (as if it is ever even slightly empty) and one would have thought I was a rock star. But then I realized, it was the car. The lights of the gas station reflected off the beautiful VO paint and it was not a minute before three people, all of whom were driving nice cars, stepped over to ask about the BMW. What is that? I've never seen one before etc.

My son, who was driving was all smiles as it was assumed the car was his.

In any case, if you ever doubt that the car is beautiful, then look harder. Collectively, we are the most lucky of car owners, having been fortunate enough to find and buy one of the most rare, and most true M cars ever made.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #9
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

Im not a guy who likes rear's but you got to admit that the 1M certainly has some "Booty"

I just think the headlights spoil the whole front end! Nothing that a set of OSS smoked out lights cant fix though.

I find myself just opening up the garage every once in a while and removing the car cover just to perve over those beautiful flared lines
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      06-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #10
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Maybe it's not a pretty car, but it is a good looking car to me. At least as a car guy, its appearance makes me very aware that it's a performance machine. I think BMW did a great job with styling.
      06-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodboy1451 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Funny. I test drove a M2 at the Bmw dealer a year ago and the sales manager said the same thing to me. Don't sell the 1M.
Almost same. I drive Audi S3 and salesman said. You're not going to sell 1M right? I wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I cant say I truly loved the 1M in the very beginning in the looks department but I think it has aged very well. I think it looks great now!

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1207.50
      06-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost3d_1M View Post
Im not a guy who likes rear's but you got to admit that the 1M certainly has some "Booty"

I just think the headlights spoil the whole front end! Nothing that a set of OSS smoked out lights cant fix though.

I find myself just opening up the garage every once in a while and removing the car cover just to perve over those beautiful flared lines
A while back, I was leading a caravan of friends to a driving event.
The driver who was following me has generally not been a fan of the 1M's proportions.
After an hour or two, we arrived at our destination. The driver gets out and says, "I have to admit, your car has a really nice a$$..."
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1207.50
      06-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #14
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

The first time I saw my 1m was after meeting Nacho at the delivery center and then being restless I walked out to the upper level of the delivery center. It came up the elevator and the first view was that wide, mean, fat butt - I was in love .... watched it drive around the circle and park .... I was like a kid in love at first sight .... I fell even more in love as we left the delivery center and I saw the Valencia for the first time in the sun ..... I agree that our 1M’s have aged gracefully.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
///BYU268.50
      06-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

when it comes to design, i care more about character and boldness rather than standard criteria of 'beauty'. I like weird bulges, sharp lines, weird creases, weird lights.....

all of my favourite all time cars are not 'pretty' but they are all badass in their own way.

Alpine A110 (original 1960s one)
Renault 8 Gordini (looks like a rear-engined box)
Alpine A310
BMW 2002 Turbo
BMW E30 M3 (looks like a front-engined box with a flares and a spoiler)
Simca Rallye
NSU TTS

the 1M has a lot of character. Way more character than most modern cars have. I look at the M2 for more than 12 seconds and i'm bored. I'm never bored of looking at the 1M.

Last edited by 10"; 06-16-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1207.50
      06-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
The first time I saw my 1m was after meeting Nacho at the delivery center and then being restless I walked out to the upper level of the delivery center. It came up the elevator and the first view was that wide, mean, fat butt - I was in love .... watched it drive around the circle and park .... I was like a kid in love at first sight .... I fell even more in love as we left the delivery center and I saw the Valencia for the first time in the sun ..... I agree that our 1M's have aged gracefully.
Yes my friend. The 1Ms have aged gracefully like us!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 10:20 PM   #17
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Indeed there’s a theme, Do I like Pretty cars? I’m sure there are some, many of them Astons, but I love an edgy, angry slightly afterthought of design, Delta Integrale, Renault 5 Turbo for eg. I like it when they look to have put purpose of performance before practicality and broad appeal. Do I still look back at her when I walk away, sure do, do I feel insulted when people say it’s a bit funny looking, no way. Do I think we’ll ever get something quite as unique from a mainstream high volume auto producer again, maybe not. Have a I just bought a third car cos I can’t bring myself to part with it...? Yep.... can’t let her go.
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
dtla1826.00
      06-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #18
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Great post, op. You described the 1M perfectly.
      06-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

It's a big fat butt, and nice chunky tyres

06-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #20
Mogge94
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe, Z4M Roadster