BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
Need to be aware of replacement cost on the ceramic rotors if you track the car. They do wear slower but when they need replacement watch out. Friend of mine owns a Porsche that he ordered with ceramics. He tracks the car a lot at VIR and ditched the ceramics after a couple expensive replacements due to overall replacement cost. His view in his application was that the benefit did not warrant the cost. Maybe the BMWs are different but I would do my homework before I go down this path.
The Porsche ceramic rotors are poorly suited to lots of track use because the rotors only have a relatively thin braking surface applied to them which can wear or be damaged easily. Lots of Porsche trackies revert to steel for this reason. The other option is to upgrade to Movit rotors. Would be interesting to know the technology behind the BMW ceramic rotors especially if someone is considering this as a track upgrade.

And sorry to run on, but one clear advantage expressed by some M3 owners that have gone the BBK route is improved modulation over the OEM brakes.
      09-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #24
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed
Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
Thanks Neil. I've been reading some of the other brake threads and was slowly coming to a similar conclusion regarding pad deposits.

Do you think I can put on a more aggressive pad with the current rotors (which "feel" warped -- car shakes a lot when braking) and continue using them? Would this fix the pad deposit problem and make the rotors better again?

(OP: sorry for thread-jacking).
Mount a set of track pads that you would use for your next event and use them to "scrub" the deposits off of your rotors. Essentially you'll need to do some repeated stops similar to what you would do when bedding in new pads but less aggressively with less heat buildup. When you bed in pads you're transferring pad material to the rotor. By using a less aggressive procedure you keep the temps down and can remove the transfer material. It may take several "stops" to accomplish this.

Stoptech has a great article on this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...eposit-removal
A great pad for cleaning rotors are hawk Blues. When cold they are like sandpaper. Just drive around town making normal stops and you will have squeaky clean rotors in no time.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #25
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed
Quote:
Originally Posted by smq42 View Post
Thanks Neil. I've been reading some of the other brake threads and was slowly coming to a similar conclusion regarding pad deposits.

Do you think I can put on a more aggressive pad with the current rotors (which "feel" warped -- car shakes a lot when braking) and continue using them? Would this fix the pad deposit problem and make the rotors better again?

(OP: sorry for thread-jacking).
Mount a set of track pads that you would use for your next event and use them to "scrub" the deposits off of your rotors. Essentially you'll need to do some repeated stops similar to what you would do when bedding in new pads but less aggressively with less heat buildup. When you bed in pads you're transferring pad material to the rotor. By using a less aggressive procedure you keep the temps down and can remove the transfer material. It may take several "stops" to accomplish this.

Stoptech has a great article on this: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...eposit-removal" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.stoptech....it-removal</a>
Thanks TXmtrhed, p66, & Neil.
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0