United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee
I've got an S54 M Roadster and a 1M.
Yeah...you can totally love the 128 IF you've never driven a 1M.

Just my .02.

Honestly if you want a driver's car that will bring out your inner masochist (aka driver's car) then go Italian. I recommend the Alfa 4C. Or a Lotus Elise.
exactly....after driving and owning the 1M I pretty much forgot all about the 128 (and 135 for that matter)! don't get me wrong...it's a great car, IF you don't have a 1M or have not driven a 1M.....

Last edited by IEDEI; 06-30-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My 128i is a convertible (e88) and mechanically stock. I love it. I've ridden in the 1M on a track but not driven it. I've driven a 135i. More power is fun and the 1M also has more precision feel but for my use, my 128i is fine. It has about the same power as the e36 M3. It is neither real fast or a dog. I consider it fast enough to be fun. The problem with power is you need a place to use it. Hard to find for a 1M, I suspect. My 128i handles noticeably better with Michelin PSS tires.
      07-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #25
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I appreciate the replies. The conclusions I am coming to are that the 128i would probably not add all that much to my little "collection." I think there would be some duplication with the 1M. I also think that a lot of the positive vibes that the 128i is producing are related to the idea that it is the last of its breed, never to be seen again.

I do believe that this last point is correct, however I also believe that a lot of these attributes can be found in a whole lot of slightly older BMWs that preceded the release of the 1-Series.

Most of the 1-Series cars are in the midst of the steep slope of depreciation that is common to almost all modern BMWs. They have not yet become collectible in the way that (for example) the Z3 Coupes have become. Judgment has to be reserved on the 1M (which I already own, as I stated originally) because we don't know how much it will depreciate, especially with the M2 about to be released.

I personally think it is unlikely that the regular 1-Series cars will avoid continued and considerable depreciation along the typical curve slopes seen for most BMWs. Even those BMWs which have attained cult or collectible status will usually depreciate quite a lot before they are viewed, usually a lot later, as collectible.

So, although it is quite possible that 5 or 10 years from now that 128is will stabilize in their prices and actually then start to go up in value, my opinion is that we are way too early in the process at this point.

Bottom line, if one is looking for a used vintage BMW that handles like BMWs used to handle, and that has a good manual transmission, there are a lot of older BMWs out there that represent better value than the 128i represents now. The one thing you give up with these other, older, cars, is some of the feeling of a modern car, things like hands-free Bluetooth for your smartphone, automatic climate control, better airbags, & other convenience features. Some of these things can be compensated for by minor changes such as an audio head unit swap. Along with these pluses come some minuses, such things as increasing amount of potentially troublesome electronics as the cars age, harder to work on as they require special tools, etc.

I will probably continue to look, but at the moment I'm pretty much convinced that it is too soon to pick up a 128i if one is doing so as a collector; there are other choices representing better value for money.

Thanks again for all the great replies.
Appreciate 0