BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #45
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

My 4 older cars (which by the way are way more fun to drive than my 2 newer cars) have been in hibernation for 6+ months, here in the snowy Northern Rockies. I did get a chance to briefly drive a couple of them in the big city on my last visit, and I'm going back there tomorrow for a few days of work.

I'm taking my 135is convertible in for service next week, so it's the car I'll be driving 150+ miles to town. Today I revived it from its long sleep, and put my M2 to sleep on the car lift. I won't miss the M2.

Wow, what a difference. I only drove the 135is for a few miles, but it's a car I'd way rather drive than my 2018 M2. Both are manuals, but that's where the similarities end.

I haven't driven my 1M yet this year, but it's the next car I'll drive. It started to stink inside last summer and I think there is an evaporator replacement in my near and expensive future, next month.

Nowhere to turn, these older cars are irreplaceable and there is nothing new out there even worth considering, no more ultimate driving machines, unfortunately, probably ever.
Tornado1M1201.50
      05-21-2019, 06:23 AM   #46
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
My 1M was the same way. The European Delivery guy said, "now I'm going to show you how the iDrive works," and I was like, "wait, huh?"

As far as "what next?" my situation is a little strange. I feel like I won the lottery getting my 1M allocation. It was totally unexpected. I was 34 and my wife and I just had our seventh kid (username checks out). I was a huge car enthusiast, but our financial and family situation meant we were driving a minivan and a Saturn Astra -- and I never drove anything special before that either, just basic transportation. All of a sudden I was looking at doing European Delivery and Performance Center Delivery with a car that was basically everything I ever wanted in a vehicle -- my ne plus ultra.

If I had to move on from my 1M, I'd probably go "backward" and buy the cars I would have driven while eventually working up to a 1M some day. S2000, heavily modified and stripped out Civic hatchback, Miata, E46 ZHP or Touring, E30 325is, 135i -- along with other things like a Triumph Street Triple motorcycle and I'd love to import a Peugeot 205 GTI.

I actually think there are many cars I'd have a ton of fun with, but they're all a step down from the 1M, which is fine by me. Nothing new and expensive outside of maybe a GT3 RS is really that interesting to me. I'd much rather spend my money on a fun-but-inexpensive car I don't mind taking to the track, parking on the street, driving in the snow, etc. That would be somewhat of a relief, actually -- even compared to my 1M. Then I could use the extra money to travel (with my family + MotoGP, IOMTT, Le Mans and Nurburgring 24h, etc.), rent a car at the Nurburgring, do more multi-day wilderness backpacking trips, ski more often, etc.

The only things I don't like about my 1M are that (1) I wasn't able to experience a lot of other cars before being so fortunate to own one and (2) I feel compelled to keep it stock. I think I want my next car to be something I basically rebuild and personalize / modify extensively -- something I feel reflects the purest expression of whatever it is I'm trying to achieve. That level of personalization is missing in my 1M ownership experience. Then, once I've built it, just enjoy driving it and not worry too much about the inevitable rock chips and minor imperfections.

Nice write up! well, you can still modify the 1M tastefully so that it still retains the character~ your 1M would love more power too!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #47
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

As a car enthusiast working in automotive R&D, it is abundantly clear how difficult it is to justify the enormous and rapidly rising cost of sports cars.

The 1M and the year 2012 for me is the final year manufacturers were able to produce these kind of more with deliberate intent rather than being heavily influenced by marketing, regulation and costs.

Of all of then 1M is like a highly concentrated esperesso. Cars will keep getting faster and EVs will be even faster than ICE cars, but yeah those NA, manual, compact sportscars, supercars of 2012, those are the cars to have.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
      05-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #48
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85 View Post
As a car enthusiast working in automotive R&D, it is abundantly clear how difficult it is to justify the enormous and rapidly rising cost of sports cars.

The 1M and the year 2012 for me is the final year manufacturers were able to produce these kind of more with deliberate intent rather than being heavily influenced by marketing, regulation and costs.

Of all of then 1M is like a highly concentrated esperesso. Cars will keep getting faster and EVs will be even faster than ICE cars, but yeah those NA, manual, compact sportscars, supercars of 2012, those are the cars to have.
FWIW, the 1M isn’t NA, but I hear ya!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #49
db85
Rep
Drives: daily: i30, second:?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
FWIW, the 1M isn’t NA, but I hear ya!
Of course it isnt. I wanted to communicate a larger context of that era and the 1M as part of it before things changed drastically since.
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      05-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #50
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by db85 View Post
Of course it isnt. I wanted to communicate a larger context of that era and the 1M as part of it before things changed drastically since.
Yeah, if I could pick any three cars under $100k from this millennium, I’d probably pick a 2012 Cayman, a 2012 911 of some type, and the 1M.

Thankfully, Lotus is still doing things right, which is probably what I’d pick if buying a new 2-seater.

Last edited by duder13; 05-24-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #51
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjbrady View Post

Now nearly eight years on ... has anyone replaced their 1M and not regretted it? What with?

Andrew
An M2c in DCT. Initial impressions are very good. Keeping the 1M for now though as I think I would regret it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:25 AM   #52
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I've seen a couple Aussie 1M owners switch to the M2C. Well, 3 including you so far.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #53
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

So, I've been reading through this thread for the last couple of weeks and have been thinking about what comes next for me. first of all, I would love to keep my 1M and get another car....that's still debatable with 2 kids in college and 1 a couple years away 🤣🤣🤣

However, if I cap myself at $90k.....everyone needs a limit and that one is mine assuming of course I keep my baby M.

I'm thinking a 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4

Thoughts?
Appreciate 2
gmx166.00
nachob2307.00
      05-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #54
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

If you are going to track it significantly then I think it’s almost a no-brainer assuming you aren’t jonesing for a GT3. I -almost- sold the 1M to fund a GT4 but ultimately the GT4 would spend more time in the garage than on the road, which would be for me a waste of money and, a travesty.

Caveat: I’ve read in multiple places that for the street, the dynamics of a Boxster Spyder make it more enjoyable than a GT4.

I drove a friend’s GT350R today and that car is a bit in my head at the moment. I love me a good-sounding car but that thing is just on a whole other level of antisocial.

Last edited by ayao; 05-27-2019 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1201.50
      05-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #55
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
If you are going to track it significantly then I think it’s almost a no-brainer assuming you aren’t jonesing for a GT3. I -almost- sold the 1M to fund a GT4 but ultimately the GT4 would spend more time in the garage than on the road, which would be for me a waste of money and, a travesty.

Caveat: I’ve read in multiple places that for the street, the dynamics of a Boxster Spyder make it more enjoyable than a GT4.

I drove a friend’s GT350R today and that car is a bit in my head at the moment. I love me a good-sounding car but that thing is just on a whole other level of antisocial.
Few things growl better than a throaty Ford V8 . . .

For me, nothing else has come along yet.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
nachob2307.00
ayao627.50
      06-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #56
fastcars
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
I've seen a couple Aussie 1M owners switch to the M2C. Well, 3 including you so far.
I've switched from an AW 1M to an AW M2C.

Unfortunately I'll be selling the 1M. So if anyone is interested PM me for more info.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:43 AM   #57
Peter32
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

I was an owner of M1. I was really satisfied with this car. It has a good and a nice design. Now, I have BMW 7-Series and I guess it's better than my previous M1.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #58
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter32 View Post
I was an owner of M1. I was really satisfied with this car. It has a good and a nice design. Now, I have BMW 7-Series and I guess it's better than my previous M1.
Yes. 7x better! : )
Appreciate 2
champignon1562.00
///BYU268.50
      06-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #59
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Yes. 7x better! : )
The i8 is EIGHT times better!
      06-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #60
zardoz
Rep
Drives: Golf gti

I'm gonna get me one of those Porsche GT-4's because they were made in limited quantities & now all Cayman's are 4 bangers, not spending 70 $$$ large for a 4 cyl. car.
Wait! What!. Porsche announces a NEW GT-4!. Of course it's better than the last GT-4
I better get my order in since they will be made in special limited quantities Lol!
On 2nd thought, gonna stick with my 1M, I love it and they broke the mold after it was cooked & done.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      06-18-2019, 03:25 PM   #61
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
I'm gonna get me one of those Porsche GT-4's because they were made in limited quantities & now all Cayman's are 4 bangers, not spending 70 $$$ large for a 4 cyl. car.
Wait! What!. Porsche announces a NEW GT-4!. Of course it's better than the last GT-4
I better get my order in since they will be made in special limited quantities Lol!
On 2nd thought, gonna stick with my 1M, I love it and they broke the mold after it was cooked & done.
Gotta admit though, that new GT4 with the 4.0 NA engine is going to be awesome. Same for the Boxster Spyder.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #62
zardoz
Rep
Drives: Golf gti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Gotta admit though, that new GT4 with the 4.0 NA engine is going to be awesome. Same for the Boxster Spyder.
Yes, until they come out with a 4.2 ltr. that will be better than the 4.0
My point is that the 1M will not be repeated.
No doubt a GT-4 is a great car, but it appears there will always be a next one that is better than the previous one.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #63
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
No doubt a GT-4 is a great car, but it appears there will always be a next one that is better than the previous one.
Before they announced the NA GT4 I would've disagreed but yes, now that they will bring back the NA GT4, it should be a great car. I do however not subscribe to the notion that they always will come out with something better. That was true for many year until lately. It depends on what you mean by better. For example, the new GTI will only have a stupid digital dash. Not better for me, maybe for some. So much of the new changes are cars are not for driving, they are for comfort or gadgetry for gadgetry's sake. We are at the end of the car as a machine where driving experience is 99% of the joy. Driving is now 70% of the joy and all the other stuff is for comfort or to keep up with the rapid electronic age to stay relevant.

I was discussing music with my son yesterday after seeing the movie YESTERDAY about the Beatles. He grew up with every musician having choreographed boy band dancers, fireworks and light shows. He expects that and the concept of 4 young guys just sending on a stage with a drum set, guitar and a bass guitar seemed slow and quaint. So Is Britney better than the Beatles because of all the light shows, videos dancers, etc? To some, it's just about the music.

Anyway, I do think the new GT4 will be better being NA but sadly the rest of the car world is going into the digital age where the show or "experience" matters more than the music.
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1201.50
///BYU268.50
      07-03-2019, 06:09 AM   #64
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:

I was discussing music with my son yesterday after seeing the movie YESTERDAY about the Beatles. He grew up with every musician having choreographed boy band dancers, fireworks and light shows. He expects that and the concept of 4 young guys just sending on a stage with a drum set, guitar and a bass guitar seemed slow and quaint. So Is Britney better than the Beatles because of all the light shows, videos dancers, etc? To some, it's just about the music.

Anyway, I do think the new GT4 will be better being NA but sadly the rest of the car world is going into the digital age where the show or "experience" matters more than the music.
The Beatles is a terrible example. They WERE the first mass marketed boy band.

Gimme The Byrds, Black Sabbath, Small Faces, Can, Velvet Underground, T. Rex, The Stooges, even The Doors over the Beatles any day of the week.

There have been amazing bands from the 60s through the 2010s it's a shame he grew up watching manufactured music! It's our job as parents to show them the possibilities to prevent this from happening. My 4 yo's favourite band is a current punk band called Institute. Wants to listen to it everyday. Lol

Sorry music rant over—-otherwise I TOTALLY agree with you about the 1M never being replicated again and also that "latest" is certainly not greatest.
      07-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #65
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

What comes after a 1M? ....and I would say with inflation since 2011 under let's say $70k

That's the question!

Comparing it to P cars that are north of 100k makes no sense to me.

So, what comes after the 1M and is under $70k that gives you everything and more than the 1M???????????

🤔🤔🤔
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #66
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Before they announced the NA GT4 I would've disagreed but yes, now that they will bring back the NA GT4, it should be a great car. I do however not subscribe to the notion that they always will come out with something better. That was true for many year until lately. It depends on what you mean by better. For example, the new GTI will only have a stupid digital dash. Not better for me, maybe for some. So much of the new changes are cars are not for driving, they are for comfort or gadgetry for gadgetry's sake. We are at the end of the car as a machine where driving experience is 99% of the joy. Driving is now 70% of the joy and all the other stuff is for comfort or to keep up with the rapid electronic age to stay relevant.

Great analogy with the music.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0