BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

Thinking about trading my 1M...

I bought it new, did Euro delivery, Nurburgring, etc, etc, and it has been my daily driver for nearly 45k miles. Frankly the car has had a lot of of the common 1M issues; repeated charge pipes, plugs and coils, a couple of fuel pumps, headlights, a few electrical gremlins, and most recently the fuel injector bulletin to fix the hard starting issue. I probably should have popped for the extended warranty but didn't realize at the time that it was too late once the factory warranty had expired, so now it's all on my dime. The issues have really soured me on BMW, and I was convinced that I was done with the brand, but there's not much out there that excites me right now.

I like the M2, but accept that it's isn't and will never be as special as the 1M, and I'm not sure I want to get something that is so close to what I already have. I can pay for a lot of repairs on the 1M with the depreciation that the M2 will likely suffer, as it doesn't seem to be particularly hard to find one. A fresh warranty and low cost to swap to the M2 are attractive however. I've even considered a DCT, just to change up the experience a bit. I've got two other sports cars with manuals, and lots of motorcycles, so driver involvement isn't far away from me, even if my DD is a DCT.

I'm kind of hung up on the idea of an Audi. I've been driving BMW's for so long that the idea of getting into a car with a nice interior is attractive. The new RS3 is coming in a few months, and this is what I'd go for. 400bhp and a nice interior with cool Audi Virtual Cockpit might be nice! No stick, but unless I'm going for an M2, my choices for a manual are quite limited anyway. I suspect this car will run mid $60's, and that's fine, but if it pushes into the $70's it loses a lot of the lustre for me. I won't likely have a chance to test drive one before buying, so it's a huge leap of faith as far as the driving experience goes, and I do worry that it's just not going to be nearly as much fun to drive as the 1M, or M2.

If I didn't have two other sportscars I'd do a Cayman GT4 in a heartbeat, but I just need more space than a Cayman or 911 offer.

Anybody else in the same boat right now?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
tyhackman15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i

Have you driven an M2 yet? That would be step 1 IMO, they're a hell of a lot of car for the money.

BTW what part of Texas are you in? I see an orange 1M every day on my commute in Austin on 360.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Me, but for different reasons. Recently bought a 993 and the 1M just isn't getting driven much. I have enjoyed the 1M, it still puts a huge grin on my face, and I haven't had as many issues as you. However, I just don't like to see it sitting. I have been waffling on the decision - I don't really need to sell it and every time I drive it I seriously question selling it - but I will probably be listing it in the spring once the airbag is replaced.

Before the 1M I had an Audi TT-RS. The 5 cylinder wail is intoxicating, mag ride shocks were nice, and the interior was more upscale. But, every other driving dynamic fell short of the 1M. Steering feel, balance, driving dynamics all provide much more feedback and excitement in the 1M.

I'm with you - nothing new really excites me. Maybe a gt350?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Another TX VO 1M here (DFW)

I'm seriously contemplating whether or not to hold the 1M or trade it in on the 991.2 GT3. I wouldn't mind having both cars since I will be getting PDK in the porsche but I also wouldn't mind the extra cash.

Had an M4 before and just didn't like how big it is and how big cars have gotten in its class. I never had an Audi but they don't seem to have the 'fun factor' that BMWs have, let alone the 1M.

Since you seem to need something bigger than cayman/porsches... and something special and fun like a 1M... consider a GT350? The 1M really is in a class of its own.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ty, I'm in Houston.

I'll see if I can get a test drive in an Audi S3, and I suspect within five minutes in that car I'll know whether or not the RS3 is something worth waiting for. If it just doesn't do anything for me I'll just roll my dice with BMW reliability and probably get an M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Keep your 1M. Maybe add an M2.

Drive the RS3 (assuming you can get your hands on one) and then choose. I feel the RS3 will fall short in the driving dynamics category, but I could be totally wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
digwm1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

should definitely test drive an s3 or s4, should give you a rough idea of what the rs3 will drive like, i can tell you from my experience test driving a 2016 s3 and 2012(?) s4 i did not appreciate how light the steering felt, interior is another story, those seats.. amazing, enough said
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:14 AM   #8
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
There's nothing wrong with passing alone the 1m experience on to some one looking for it. If you think it's time to move on, then move on. You have other sports cars, so finding something with a warranty that better suits your needs as a daily driver is understandable. I'd be looking at C63 or CarMax an M6 gran coupe if I wanted a fun daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
I kept my 1M and purchased a used GT4. Definitely different cars but similar as well. I like the way the GT4 is appointed and how it drives. That being said it doesn't have the raw feel the 1M has when you are in it at full throttle. As long as the 1M continues to hold value I don't see any reason to get rid of it as long as I have garage space.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
GimmeanM
We've landed on the moon!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (AW)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2018 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
I kept my 1M and purchased a used GT4. Definitely different cars but similar as well. I like the way the GT4 is appointed and how it drives. That being said it doesn't have the raw feel the 1M has when you are in it at full throttle. As long as the 1M continues to hold value I don't see any reason to get rid of it as long as I have garage space.
That says a lot when comparing to the almighty GT4!
      02-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
1M does have something special and any comparison to gt4 is very cool. Love the GT4. It is Porsches 1M.... manual only etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 05:03 AM   #12
mlcgd21
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, G20 BMW 330e

I would probably buy the new RS3, 4wd, DCT, and that new 5cyl sounds and goes like hell.

I was looking at the current RS3 but in the end I wanted to keep the 1M, it is much more special than the Audi so I bought a used Golf R, this way I can keep both. Also the Golf steers better than the RS3 and doesn't lose much in performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #13
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

See below...of course you're talking to a forum that is full of fanatics! ��
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #14
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeanM View Post
1M does have something special and any comparison to gt4 is very cool. Love the GT4. It is Porsches 1M.... manual only etc.
My exact thought. Porsche borrowed from the GT3 to build the GT4 very much like BMW borrowed from the M3 for the 1M. I should also point out that more people ask about the 1M when I drive it. Porsche people know the GT4 but most others don't. The Valencia Orange 1M draws spectators wherever I park it. Again I love both cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:23 AM   #15
abb6027
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M

I've driven an RS3 and it was pretty boring to drive compared to the 1M. Fantastic engine note but the car didn't feel that special. Even my wife commented on how it didn't have any feel to it.

The other thing is they are quite heavy in the front end because of the engine weight. The salesman mentioned he thought the S3 turned in better.

It's a nice car but it's not a replacement for a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #16
hot-j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Did someone say GT4? ...lol...God I want one, but not until I am done modding the $#!t out of my 1M. As with others, the driving experience in the 1M is almost priceless.... unless you can afford a F-40. That's the only other car that I know of that can give me the fizz like a 1M does when I drive it. Or am I crazy? (No I don't own one, but have driven one)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

The only thing I can think of trading the 1M for is another 1M with much lower mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
smq42
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by craina View Post
Me, but for different reasons. Recently bought a 993 and the 1M just isn't getting driven much. I have enjoyed the 1M, it still puts a huge grin on my face, and I haven't had as many issues as you. However, I just don't like to see it sitting. I have been waffling on the decision - I don't really need to sell it and every time I drive it I seriously question selling it - but I will probably be listing it in the spring once the airbag is replaced.

Before the 1M I had an Audi TT-RS. The 5 cylinder wail is intoxicating, mag ride shocks were nice, and the interior was more upscale. But, every other driving dynamic fell short of the 1M. Steering feel, balance, driving dynamics all provide much more feedback and excitement in the 1M.

I'm with you - nothing new really excites me. Maybe a gt350?
Exact same boat as you! I track my 993 and don't drive the 1M much. Then, when I think I should sell the 1M, I take it out for a ride and it blows me away every time!!

I'm considering trading the 1M for a 996 GT3 track car. . . But, that's another thread.
?13 E70 X5
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #19
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Y'all talking about selling/trading your 1Ms, and I'm over here like dammit I want one.

So much car for the money..the fun factor, composure, smile-inducing character this car has is unique and special.

Having had the pleasure of owning an f80, and driving a 1M, I'd take the 1M every time.

But some of you are comparing this car to a gt3, in which I can't argue against. Friend has one and let me borrow it (991.2), and it's insane.

I'm out of my element here since I don't have a 1M, but it is still my unicorn car and is a car I'd pick over so so many others.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 2
GimmeanM1448.50
Mdawood121.50
      02-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #20
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I've done a bit more research and now I'm thinking it's going to be a Cayman 718 S with a manual gearbox. A GT4 is just too hardcore for a DD on the Houston inner loop roads I spend most of my time on. The 718 S absolutely kills the last Cayman GTS in every performance metric, and the only real negative (other than high price when you start adding options, and everything is an option) is the sound of the Porsche 4 cylinder turbo motor. It sounds a bit crude compared to the flat 6 Porsche motors, but I don't think it sounds as bad as some of the reviewers have written. I'll probably wait until I at least know what the pricing is on the new Audi's, but I think the TT RS could push into the $90's with options based on the current pricing in Europe, and previous TT values drop like stones.
Appreciate 0