BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
1 eM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Service intervals

Hi Guys

Ok, im 9000 miles and 2 years in on my 1M. When am i suppose to get my car serviced here in the UK as the handbook is pretty useless. Ive had the initial run in service and feel as though it should of been done before now.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 eM
Hi Guys

Ok, im 9000 miles and 2 years in on my 1M. When am i suppose to get my car serviced here in the UK as the handbook is pretty useless. Ive had the initial run in service and feel as though it should of been done before now.
When you start the car what month and year does it say ? That is when your service is due. My car is 14k miles and due it's service in July on its second birthday
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Pugland53
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

I had my run in service at 1200 miles and the service indicator said the next was due at 19k miles. That seemed like a long time to me so I gave it an oil service at 10k as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your should have the oil changed every 15K miles or one year which ever comes first.

Some of us change the oil much sooner than what BMW says too. I usually change my oil every three or four months or 5K miles. The best oil is fresh oil in my way of thinking.

Every third oil change ~45K miles or three years, you should also have your trans and diff oil changed(so says bmw). Again I would change those fluids more often IF it were my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
crumbelieve
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

BMW Service Bulletin

Last year I got into a bit of an argument with the service advisor at my dealership here in NJ. He logged into his system and printed out the Service Information Bulletin as of January 2012 (SI B00 01 10). I typed up the contents into an excel doc. I can't upload an xls file, but the pdf is attached.

If you guys have different or more updated info, please do let me know.
Although I don't understand why, the recommended service schedule may be different here in the States than in the rest of the world.

Hope this is useful to you guys.

-Crumb
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1M Service Guide.pdf (77.5 KB, 1244 views)

Last edited by crumbelieve; 04-10-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
I add an oil change in, between each service interval. So, my baby sees an oil change every 7500 miles.
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

No car has ever died from too much service...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

That template you send looks about the party line.

I paid for a MT fluid change at break-in and then changed it again myself maybe 7500 miles later. I'm also going to change the diff oil before the first scheduled one.

I also end up doing an oil change every 6 months or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Resurrecting this... My UK 1M is saying it now needs a service.
My local dealer are quoting £500.. This service includes spark plugs and filter element as well as oil and micro filter.

Does this fit with what other owners have had to have done as way of their 2nd service? (first Service was done at 880 miles.

How does the price compare to what others have paid also?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcA View Post
My local dealer are quoting £500.. This service includes spark plugs and filter element as well as oil and micro filter.

Does this fit with what other owners have had to have done as way of their 2nd service? (first Service was done at 880 miles.

Cheers
My car is saying that it will be due a service in July which just happens for it to be 2 years old, it has done 16,000 miles now. I took the service pack so hopefully no bills. Interestingly when I spoke with dealer at one year old he said the car did not need and oil change or anything else until it was 2 years old I went ahead and did an oil and filter change anyway
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeh, mine has just done 17,000 miles and is just over 2 years old. I have only owned the car since Oct last year. So really this is it's first oil change.. other than the BMW AUC checks and oil check and top up then. Mine didn't have the Service Pack which you'd expect being an ex-BMW UK car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:

Cheers
I don't know about the spark plugs. Since you are supposed to pay for that service, before buying what they say is needed, I advise you to double check it. Sounds too early for the mileage or for the age of the car. Also, check the attachment in post 5.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 06-13-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I don't know about the spark plugs. Since you are supposed to pay for that service, before buying what they say is needed, I advise you to double check it. Sounds too early for the mileage or for the age of the car. Also, check the attachment in post 5.
I agree it does sound too early, hence my question here. However, I have asked two UK dealers now and both confirm that on the 2nd service for the 1M, a spark plug change is due and expected. So with the first oil service being done before or on the 1200mile mark, this then sounds about right.

Attachment in post 5 is NOT BMW 'M' Car specific, but generic for BMW servicing. Same standard guide you will get and see in any BMW UK Service dept.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
I agree it does sound too early, hence my question here. However, I have asked two UK dealers now and both confirm that on the 2nd service for the 1M, a spark plug change is due and expected. So with the first oil service being done before or on the 1200mile mark, this then sounds about right.

Attachment in post 5 is NOT BMW 'M' Car specific, but generic for BMW servicing. Same standard guide you will get and see in any BMW UK Service dept.
Maybe the 1200 mile service (specific to M cars) is not regarded as the "first" service but just a break-in service

That way it would make sense that the "second service" which comes after completing the initial break-in fluid change should be taken into account. A spark plug should be good for 50K km. and even if we stay on the safe and sound side, I can't imagine why we should change it before at the very least 25K km.

There must be a portion of UK 1M owners in this Forum who should have passed their second or maybe third services already, it would be good to have a clarification from them on this, since it may or may not be a UK only thing.

This is the first time I hear about a spark plug replacement due for second service as defined by your situation and I am a pretty loyal follower of this Forum since this car is first announced in 2010. Maybe I just missed this one.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

So basically what are the fluids that need to be changed? Engine, transmission, differential and???
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Brake fluid. Depends on usage, but even if only street, Mikey of BMW CCA Roundel tech column recommends every year if planning to keep the car past warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #17
PaulMcA
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

As an update... I had the 1M serviced and they just did the oil inspection/change, oil filter and micro filter (pollen).
They agreed that my key was programmed incorrectly and the CBS data was not correct or accurate, hence giving the wrong information on what was required on this 1st service. As the service was done, the dealer got Munich to re-programme my key to have the correct service levels showing.

Saved me £250!

No other fluids done.
IIRC brake fluid needs doing on the 3rd year (but depends if you track the car or not)
2nd service at approx 4 years, will require spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
As an update... I had the 1M serviced and they just did the oil inspection/change, oil filter and micro filter (pollen).
They agreed that my key was programmed incorrectly and the CBS data was not correct or accurate, hence giving the wrong information on what was required on this 1st service. As the service was done, the dealer got Munich to re-programme my key to have the correct service levels showing.

Saved me £250!

No other fluids done.
IIRC brake fluid needs doing on the 3rd year (but depends if you track the car or not)
Now it makes sense! I would change the brake fluid whatever they say too, regardless of mileage or whether you track the car or not. Every year if you are too picky, every second year if you are not, but not more waiting than that. I changed mine when the car had 1.5 year and 5500 km. only but I also had a justification to bleed my clutch and brakes because of installing a modified CDV so it made even more sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I had the 1M serviced and they just did the oil inspection/change, oil filter and micro filter (pollen). [...]
No other fluids done.
IIRC brake fluid needs doing on the 3rd year (but depends if you track the car or not).
My 1M has clocked almost 24K but I decided to get the 30K maintenance already now (the car is two years young/old anyway).

What was done:
  • engine oil SAE 5W-30 (it's a EURO spec 1M)
  • set oil filter element (part# 11427566327)
  • windscreen wiper liquid + antifreeze (just had gotten a refill warning)
  • micro filter/activated carbon container (part# 64319313519)
  • interior air filter/cleaner (part# 83192180509)
  • air filter element (part# 13717556961)
  • 6 Bosch High Power spark plugs (part# 12120037244)
  • SATNAV Professional Road Map Europe Premium update FSC CIC Map Europe 2013-2 (part# 65902343815) (as per my express request)
      07-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #20
The Big O
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcA
My local dealer are quoting 500.. This service includes spark plugs and filter element as well as oil and micro filter.

Cheers
I don't get it, why do you need to pay for the service? Don't you have maintenance plans in your part of the world?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Pete H
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Happened to me too, dealer initially wanted to do plugs etc at my first service, the condition based service counter was wrong as a result of the 1200 mile service. Dealer reset it, then just did a normal oil change.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:12 AM   #22
trinity_2200
Private
Rep

Just did the 2nd service for my 1M (1st for myself as the car is 2nd hand) at it's 2nd birthday. Done 17k kms, they did changed the spark plugs and air filter.
Appreciate 0