BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
Kkuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Doncaster (VIC) BMW spare parts experience

Hello all,

[TL;DR] in bold

I like to use genuine parts when replacements are needed, and I have usually gone to Doncaster/Bundoora BMW (in VIC), as they always seem to have more competitive pricing.

However, I have consistently been disappointed with the quality, and it has got me wondering.

Has anyone else experienced this?

All the parts I get are in BMW branded packaging.

I have spoken to some friends, and they have suggested that it's not impossible that the dealership might be selling parts that are counterfeit. And they may be doing this unknowingly. For example, they may have found a cheaper, parallel import for their parts, and not realised that they are counterfeit.

Is this possibly why their pricing is more competitive as well?

Here is a list of all the issues I have had:
1. Front brakes, new pads, rotors and sensor:
- about 500km after changing them, I noticed a groove being worn into the rotor. Took the brakes apart, and noticed a decent chunk of metal, similar to all the others in the pad, but much bigger, that was cutting into the rotor. I removed it with a pick, and has been good ever since.
- Brake pad wear sensor has tripped after about 5-10k km, and it is telling me that brakes require service. (this was reset with a scan tool at time of replacement).

2. Rear brakes (changed about 50k km after front), new pads, rotors and sensor.
- same issue with the sensor as the front. 5-10k km, and car is telling me brakes require a service. (was also reset with a scan tool)

3. Rocker cover gasket:
- replaced, and about 1-2 years later, it was already leaking heavily (drips on my driveway).
- replaced again, stopped leaking, 4-8 weeks later, drops on my driveway again.

The only other parts I recall buying from this place is oil and engine filters, which I think should be okay.

At first, I thought that the brake wear sensor might have been a one-off failure, but the fact that it has happened two for two has really got me suspicious.
All other genuine parts, I have ordered from Schmeidmann, and they have generally been good. But of course, they are different parts all together, so that might be a moot comparison.

This post isn't to throw shade, and I absolutely have no evidence to back up this claim, I genuinely (pun not intended), want to hear other people's experiences, and try to figure out if I've just had some bad luck, or if I should avoid buying from them in future, of if maybe genuine parts are just really poor quality, in some cases.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:22 AM   #2
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I bought a genuine rocker cover from FCP euro and had a similar issue you had. Only difference is that I'll get my money back when and if I get off my arse and send it back.
My point is it's BMW that has a plastic rocker cover and that's more likely the issue
      01-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #3
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

You're in a difficult position if you installed the parts. You might have some leverage if you have a suitable qualification but you'd have most luck if the dealer installed the parts or a workshop did.

They will always try and fob it off as a workmanship issue straight off the bat.
Brakes - do you recall what the forecast reset to afterwards? I have seen huge variances in the forecast life even using ISTA. Some rumour it is due to the average learnt driving profile eg. city vs highway driving. Were the correct sensor cable mounts used (including the H clip for the front)? Was the tip of the sensor actually rubbed through?

Metal object embedded in the pad is a different issue. Sometimes grits of sand can become embedded and cut grooves into discs, which is unavoidable due to puddles. But metal embedded in the pad - have you got photos? I've seen some defective pads before.

Leaky rocker cover - as pointed out above, did you check the rocker cover for deformation? A straight edge across the sides will show any issues. Were the torque specs followed and the tightening sequence followed? Crankcase pressure checked?

What model is your 1?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:34 PM   #4
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

No problems with them. Other than the competitive price thing... all BMW dealer parts seem standardised in Vic from my experience.
Appreciate 0