BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #177
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
People that switch cars often should never buy
Bingo.
You're gonna summon the unreasonable wrath of ushie...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #178
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      11-03-2018, 03:19 AM   #179
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
PLus Porsche rapes you on services during your lease.
Unlike BMW, which covers all services, Porsche still makes you pay for every oil change and every scheduled service. My friend's 30k(?) mile service on his wife's cayenne cost close to $4000.
No it doesn't. My 30k was less than 600.
      11-03-2018, 03:32 AM   #180
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Unlike BMW, which covers all services, Porsche still makes you pay for every oil change and every scheduled service. My friend's 30k(?) mile service on his wife's cayenne cost close to $4000.
Your friends wife got ripped off. My 40k service on a 991S was $1000 and that’s the major one.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #181
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Quote:
No it doesn't. My 30k was less than 600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Quote:
Your friends wife got ripped off. My 40k service on a 991S was $1000 and that's the major one.
I checked with him.
My mistake - it was $4k for services and whatever else needed to be done to turn in the lease (a few tires plus "other stuff").
He said he won't deal with Porsche, or at least that dealership, again because they treated him like they were doing him a favor letting him lease a Porsche. And he and his wife are Germans (now Swiss citizens working in the US).

Regardless, at least you don't pay for oil changes and services on a BMW lease.
Porsche will nickel and dime you.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #182
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
I checked with him.
My mistake - it was $4k for services and whatever else needed to be done to turn in the lease (a few tires plus "other stuff").
He said he won't deal with Porsche, or at least that dealership, again because they treated him like they were doing him a favor letting him lease a Porsche. And he and his wife are Germans (now Swiss citizens working in the US).

Only thing BMW does for you are 3 oil changes. They don’t even change wiper blades now. Can’t be worth more than $300 total at an indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #183
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:
I checked with him.

Only thing BMW does for you are 3 oil changes. They don’t even change wiper blades now. Can’t be worth more than $300 total at an indy shop.
Probably true under the new maintenance plan. My experience under the old was was excellent. For three years I didn't pay a dime or replace anything myself, fluids, wipers, even brakes (again, under the old extended maintenance plan). BMW's current plan is a shell of its former self.

But I stand behind the point of my post, which is that Porsche has a higher cost of ownership or lease, because as bad as BMW is, everything for a P car costs more for the same thing.

I'm not a Porsche hater at all. In fact I love them. However, I just don't like what i consider an unreasonable cost of ownership.
YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #184
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Probably true under the new maintenance plan. My experience under the old was was excellent. For three years I didn't pay a dime or replace anything myself, fluids, wipers, even brakes (again, under the old extended maintenance plan). BMW's current plan is a shell of its former self.

But I stand behind the point of my post, which is that Porsche has a higher cost of ownership or lease, because as bad as BMW is, everything for a P car costs more for the same thing.

I'm not a Porsche hater at all. In fact I love them. However, I just don't like what i consider an unreasonable cost of ownership.
YMMV.
My X3 in one year of ownership had $3k in repairs and lost $5k in value, and it was already a 7 year old car at the time.

My last E92 M3 had $3500 in repairs plus the expensive maintenance.

My current E92 M3 has had almost $4k in repairs and maintenance in my first 3 months of ownership.

My 335d had over $6k in repairs in a two year span.

My two 911's had zero repairs in 3 years of ownership. I paid $1000 for the 40k mile service on one, with only $100-150 oil changes other than that. I sold both cars for more than I paid for them.

My Cayenne Turbo had zero repairs in the (short) time that I owned it. The insurance company gave me $5k more than I paid for it when they totaled it.

I'm gonna give the nod to Porsche here...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #185
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

YMMV.
My X3 in one year of ownership had $3k in repairs and lost $5k in value, and it was already a 7 year old car at the time.

My last E92 M3 had $3500 in repairs plus the expensive maintenance.

My current E92 M3 has had almost $4k in repairs and maintenance in my first 3 months of ownership.

My 335d had over $6k in repairs in a two year span.

My two 911's had zero repairs in 3 years of ownership. I paid $1000 for the 40k mile service on one, with only $100-150 oil changes other than that. I sold both cars for more than I paid for them.

My Cayenne Turbo had zero repairs in the (short) time that I owned it. The insurance company gave me $5k more than I paid for it when they totaled it.

I'm gonna give the nod to Porsche here...
Maybe you are just bad at picking quality BMWs?

Who knows.

My 5 year old, 50,000 mile E93 had cost me a whopping $78 in repairs (coil pack). Pretty economical if you ask me.
      11-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #186
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post

Who knows.

My 5 year old, 50,000 mile E93 had cost me a whopping $78 in repairs (coil pack). Pretty economical if you ask me.
Your statement implies that BMW makes quality vehicles instead of piles of trash. We may have to disagree on that one. Love my e92, but it will probably be the last BMW I ever buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #187
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post

Who knows.

Your statement implies that BMW makes quality vehicles instead of piles of trash. We may have to disagree on that one. Love my e92, but it will probably be the last BMW I ever buy.
All post-warranty repairs I assume?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #188
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, the 335d was under factory warranty and the previous e92 m3 was covered under an extended warranty from USAA. Still doesn’t change the fact that BMWs are unreliable pieces of garbage. One of my friends is a BMW service advisor. He used to always want an M3 or M5. Now he won’t ever buy a BMW. I don’t blame him.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #189
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, the 335d was under factory warranty and the previous e92 m3 was covered under an extended warranty from USAA. Still doesn’t change the fact that BMWs are unreliable pieces of garbage. One of my friends is a BMW service advisor. He used to always want an M3 or M5. Now he won’t ever buy a BMW. I don’t blame him.
Given your experience, I wouldn't blame you.
Mine has been the opposite.
I got a full manual transmission replacement under CPO warranty on a tuned car. No cost to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #190
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I got a full manual transmission replacement under CPO warranty on a tuned car. No cost to me.
It’s all gravy when the car has a warranty. I’m just amazed at the string of issues that so many different models have. Leaking oil pan this, leaking gasket cover that. Rod bearings. Vacuum lines. Throttle actuators. Evaporator unit. I mean what kind of shitbox can’t even go 30k miles before the AC breaks and needs to be fixed for $3500?

Saw an interesting stat from Porsche that something like 95% of all Porsche’s ever built are still on the road today. That’s pretty amazing.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #191
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Quote:
It’s all gravy when the car has a warranty. I’m just amazed at the string of issues that so many different models have. Leaking oil pan this, leaking gasket cover that. Rod bearings. Vacuum lines. Throttle actuators. Evaporator unit. I mean what kind of shitbox can’t even go 30k miles before the AC breaks and needs to be fixed for $3500?

Saw an interesting stat from Porsche that something like 95% of all Porsche’s ever built are still on the road today. That’s pretty amazing.
Typically (not always) people who buy Porsche's can afford to maintain them and keep them going.