jpbmw
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '08 Z4MC

Garage List
Identifying a "tune"

Hello all,

Purchasing a 1M that's had a stage one tune but neither the seller nor local BMW dealer (doing the inspection) are able to determine the tune company so that I can research what has been modified. BMW tech indicated scanner could see there was a tune but not identify what type. Unfortunately relatively ignorant regarding tuning - has anyone else run into this issue and do you think a shop that specializes in tunes would have the software to relatively easily identify it?

Debating on whether to leave it as is or re-tune to stock. Any insight appreciated, thanks.

Cheers,

John
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbmw View Post
Hello all,

Purchasing a 1M that's had a stage one tune but neither the seller nor local BMW dealer (doing the inspection) are able to determine the tune company so that I can research what has been modified. BMW tech indicated scanner could see there was a tune but not identify what type. Unfortunately relatively ignorant regarding tuning - has anyone else run into this issue and do you think a shop that specializes in tunes would have the software to relatively easily identify it?

Debating on whether to leave it as is or re-tune to stock. Any insight appreciated, thanks.

Cheers,

John
MHD (https://mhdtuning.com/) is arguably the most prominent tune for N54 these days, and they license their software by VIN. You may be able to contact them and ask if the VIN for your car has been licensed by them. Dinan is another popular tuner that does off-the-shelf stage tunes, you might also contact them and see if they have records for your VIN.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43787.00
1'M Blue255.00
      08-15-2023, 02:10 AM   #3
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

If you not to worried about keeping the tune, i would purchase MHD and reflash the car to stock. If memory serves me correct, you might also be able to backup the current file in whatever form it currently is in and by purchasing the flasher module, you can then load different "tunes" onto your car, pending what supporting mod's and fuel the car runs
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #4
jpbmw
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '08 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
MHD (https://mhdtuning.com/) is arguably the most prominent tune for N54 these days, and they license their software by VIN. You may be able to contact them and ask if the VIN for your car has been licensed by them. Dinan is another popular tuner that does off-the-shelf stage tunes, you might also contact them and see if they have records for your VIN.
Thanks - already checked with Dinan, appreciate the heads up re MHD.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 04:25 PM   #5
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
FWIW, I used a Cobb stage 1 tune for a year or so and then switched to MHD due to their far superior support and features for N54. I used off the shelf stage tubes from MHD and then went custom. I have been very happy with it. Flashing back to stock may be frustrating for you.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
PRTSB1M300.00
jpbmw18.00