BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

06-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #177
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc View Post
I checked again the Top Gear “Best road of the world” .
If I am not mistaken, it is this one : from Stelvio to Davos through Livigno.
132 km, 2h15 on google map. Probably in the range of 3h including pictures etc…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
As far as that route... it looks good. I think for Saturday we will drive that route and back around to the Post Hotel.
How does this route look to you?
https://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=65...via=2&t=m&z=10
Let's outdo that: same route as Dackel has in mind from Nauders via Davos to Hotel Post, but 'detouring' to additionally pass the Livigno Lake (Lago di Livigno) and Bormio, as suggested by Jean-Marc (best of both worlds )
286 km instead of 256 km (30 km extra) and 04h53m instead of 04h15 (38 min extra):
https://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=65...a=2,3&t=m&z=10
Sankt Moritz seems to be somewhere halfway or 3/5, so might be worth considering for a long(er) stop/pause.
      06-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #178
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M539

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
I am hereby officially in. My day off got confirmed by one of my two supervisors, which is all I need.

Stelvio, I'll be back soon!

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #179
josh135
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas View Post
I am hereby officially in. My day off got confirmed by one of my two supervisors, which is all I need.

Stelvio, I'll be back soon!
Awesome!
      06-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #180
Jean-Marc
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Valencia Orange

Artemis, I like your "best of both worlds" but I tend to prefer Dackel version for saturday afternoon: marginally shorter, which is probably an asset as some of us might have a long drive already on saturday morning, and it would keep the Stelvio Pass for an early and hopefully cleaner ride on sunday morning.
What do you think ?
Any activities/visits on saturday or sunday afternoon ?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #181
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Artemis, I like your "best of both worlds" but I tend to prefer Dackel version for saturday afternoon: marginally shorter, which is probably an asset as some of us might have a long drive already on saturday morning, and it would keep the Stelvio Pass for an early and hopefully cleaner ride on sunday morning.
I think we should see how everyone feels on Saturday... and we can adjust our driving tour to suit everyone's needs. We could even split up into two groups... in case some want to check into the Hotel with some of our "hard core" drivers hit the Alpine Passes.

Quote:
What do you think ?
Any activities/visits on Saturday or Sunday afternoon ?
I would like to go visit something or some place. Not really sure where though. Do you have any ideas? Last year we toured the Nauder's Festung built into the mountain on the Reichs Pass just before Nauders.

We could tour the Nauder's Schloss(Castle) where we ate dinner last year. Not really sure how interesting that would be. ?

I also thought about the Altfinstermünz. I am not really sure if its all that interesting either. ?

I would like to hear some suggestions if anyone has one.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #182
Koobs04
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i mSport

Man I wish I could make this trip! It's shaping up to be like Welt x1000. Have fun Gents! Dake you always put on a hell of a trip
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #183
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobs04 View Post
Man I wish I could make this trip! It's shaping up to be like Welt x1000. Have fun Gents! Dake you always put on a hell of a trip
Whats holding you back? I have a (reserved) hotel room just waiting for you! I just know my PM box is gonna fill up like crazy the week or two before we depart for Stelvio 2.0.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #184
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
I just know my PM box is gonna fill up like crazy the week or two before we depart for Stelvio 2.0.
How many cancellations do you expect?

No more 1-series. Just a '14 Focus Diesel Wagon company-daily. Oh and this one..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #185
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I would like to go visit something or some place. Not really sure where though. Do you have any ideas? [...]
I would like to hear some suggestions if anyone has one.
OK here you go, Dackel.

Earlier this month I visited the botanic gardens of "Trauttmansdorff Castle" in Merano (± 75 km from Stelvio). Back in the 19th century, the Empress Sissi has spent some time over there.

Actually, after having visited it on a beautiful day, I can understand why it got awarded the "Garden Tourism Award 2013". Only exists a decade or so (it took them 7 years to conceive it !), but is now already considered to be one of the nicest gardens of Europe. Number of visitors increases every year. Very clean and orderly. Quite mesmerizing with all those dazzling colors, lush perfumes and stylish corridors.

What makes it peculiar is the fact that you see the Alps towering over the landscape nearby + it is fully built on a hillside (so you got quite some uphill/downhill paths and panoramic views). Mind you, not only women and children like it (although they fancy the idea of witnessing 150,000 roses). No need to be a romantic soul, though.

It ain't particularly "huge", but certainly big enough to split up and regroup after ± 3 hours at a meeting point (for example the bar or the restaurant). Might be quite relaxing after all the swirl and swell of mountain road driving.

http://www.trauttmansdorff.it/en/the...ff-castle.html

Name:  TrauttmansdorffCastle.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  209.1 KB
Name:  TrauttmansdorffCastle2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  263.8 KB
      06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #186
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
OK here you go, Dackel.

Earlier this month I visited the botanic gardens of "Trauttmansdorff Castle" in Merano (± 75 km from Stelvio)....

That looks like a nice detour Luc. What does everyone else think?

Something also to add... is that when I drove to Merano (the last time I was there)... there were quite a few self service car wash places along that road. Just in case some of my "other" OCD 1Addicts(you shall remain nameless! ) might want to wash their cars. I know I would like too.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #187
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Even if you can only make 2 days, it's well worth it.
      06-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #188
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Something also to add... is that when I drove to Merano (the last time I was there)... there were quite a few self service car wash places along that road. Just in case some of my "other" OCD 1Addicts(you shall remain nameless! ) might want to wash their cars. I know I would like too.
Upon arrival around 10am, my wife and daughter estimated to stay around for ± 3 hours. As a matter of fact we spent 6 hours (including a visit inside the castle - included in the entrance price - hosting a "Touriseum" exhibition on Tiroler tourism, featuring even a BMW Isetta of 1959).

Just take a look at the Tripadvisor comments: 28 pages of reviews reflecting 'worth the detour' excellence:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...lto_Adige.html
      06-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #189
Jean-Marc
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:
Artemis, sounds great to me as well !
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #190
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Artemis, sounds great to me as well !
Little bonus, Jean-Marc: we have also in common that wife + child (6 yrs) will accompany us too during the Stelvio weekend.
      06-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #191
Koobs04
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i mSport

Quote:
Whats holding you back? I have a (reserved) hotel room just waiting for you! I just know my PM box is gonna fill up like crazy the week or two before we depart for Stelvio 2.0.
Thats right around the time my wife is supposed to be getting back from her deployment. I think it would be all bad for me if I "suprised" her with a car trip on her first week back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
Even if you can only make 2 days, it's well worth it.
Gabe, you do make it sound tempting!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #192
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
That's right around the time my wife is supposed to be getting back from her deployment. I think it would be all bad for me if I "surprised" her with a car trip on her first week back.
Actually, the Stelvio 2.0 Treffen is a great happening to spend some fine quality time together in an exquisite setting (might be even the right timing). Grab it, you only live once ! Tell her that she will not be left to her own devices - several women will attend.

Carpe diem !
      06-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #193
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
My GF is going and she isn't a car person. The views will be worth it, trust me.
      06-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #194
1thomas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
The views will be worth it, trust me.
Exactly. Driving up and down Stelvio as a passenger not having to focus on the road is just jawdropping.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #195
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Wow Keukenhof eat your heart out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
OK here you go, Dackel.

Earlier this month I visited the botanic gardens of "Trauttmansdorff Castle" in Merano (± 75 km from Stelvio). Back in the 19th century, the Empress Sissi has spent some time over there.

Actually, after having visited it on a beautiful day, I can understand why it got awarded the "Garden Tourism Award 2013". Only exists a decade or so (it took them 7 years to conceive it !), but is now already considered to be one of the nicest gardens of Europe. Number of visitors increases every year. Very clean and orderly. Quite mesmerizing with all those dazzling colors, lush perfumes and stylish corridors.

What makes it peculiar is the fact that you see the Alps towering over the landscape nearby + it is fully built on a hillside (so you got quite some uphill/downhill paths and panoramic views). Mind you, not only women and children like it (although they fancy the idea of witnessing 150,000 roses). No need to be a romantic soul, though.

It ain't particularly "huge", but certainly big enough to split up and regroup after ± 3 hours at a meeting point (for example the bar or the restaurant). Might be quite relaxing after all the swirl and swell of mountain road driving.

http://www.trauttmansdorff.it/en/the...ff-castle.html

Attachment 877838
Attachment 877839
      06-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #196
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
i am good with whatever you guys come up with!

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #197
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

IF everyone wants to stop at this "Trauttmansdorff Castle" in Merano, maybe we should drive this big loop back to our Post Hotel ? Or we could change this route a bit.

https://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=39...mra=ls&t=m&z=9
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #198
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
I'm open. I think the GF would enjoy it too.