BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

DCT and SMGII comparison

Does anyone have a comparison among the SMGII and the 135i DCT? I drove my friends SMGII M3 and it would take off right from the start with ZERO lag.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Do you mean in terms of shift times?

In almost every regard the DCT is fundamentally superior to the automated manual SMG boxes of yesteryear.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

In almost every regard the DCT is fundamentally superior to the automated manual SMG boxes of yesteryear.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post

I meant on the initially take off, from lets say a red light or stop sign.
The only downfall I see on my DCT compared to the SMG is the initial take off in normal mode with sport deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
The only downfall I see on my DCT compared to the SMG is the initial take off in normal mode with sport deactivated.
That's not a downfall, that's it's advantage and why it's superior to the SMG, in normal 'D' mode it drives more like a conventional auto rather than the more abrupt nature of the SMG type automated manual's which were always criticised for their lack of smoothness where driving normally and in traffic and when trying to park etc.
      06-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #6
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
That's not a downfall, that's it's advantage and why it's superior to the SMG, in normal 'D' mode it drives more like a conventional auto rather than the more abrupt nature of the SMG type automated manual's which were always criticised for their lack of smoothness where driving normally and in traffic and when trying to park etc.
Then mine definitely has a fault, because it is no where near a conventional automatic. Are the smgs instantaneous from a yield or a roll?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
comtrang
Workin' hard
Rep
Drives: '08 135i in AW/Terracotta

It doesn't seem likely that there's a fault but if you want to answer your question find another DCT equipped car and give it a test drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
BMist371
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Vert

SMG is more instantaneous due to the fact the engine is N/A instead of turbo. Not that it has an SMG tranny. Welcome to automatic turbo vehicles. No boost=no power. Have you tried launch control? That should clear up any misconceptions of the DCT being hesitant on takeoff. My only gripe is that launch RPM can't be reduced after bolt ons. The DCT is an amazing transmission that fires through gears faster than it's manual counterpart. Also, if you have the new software installed, it takes boost longer to build due to your wastegate staying open longer. All of the factors contributing to slow takeoff are attributed to your DME version and turbo lag.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

This isn't some 2 liter four banger with a giant turbo on it. The N55 still has over 200 HP without the turbo. It's the fact that the DCT gets confused when you go under 5 but don't stop and doesn't know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
BMist371
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Vert

Mine doesn't do that at all?
      06-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
hatepotholez
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
It doesn't seem likely that there's a fault but if you want to answer your question find another DCT equipped car and give it a test drive.
I'll try to find one at a dealership. I should also drive a N55 without the DCT. My friend has a 335xi i'll try and take that for a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMist371 View Post
SMG is more instantaneous due to the fact the engine is N/A instead of turbo. Not that it has an SMG tranny. Welcome to automatic turbo vehicles. No boost=no power. Have you tried launch control? That should clear up any misconceptions of the DCT being hesitant on takeoff. My only gripe is that launch RPM can't be reduced after bolt ons. The DCT is an amazing transmission that fires through gears faster than it's manual counterpart. Also, if you have the new software installed, it takes boost longer to build due to your wastegate staying open longer. All of the factors contributing to slow takeoff are attributed to your DME version and turbo lag.
When I drove the SMG, when I shifted to drive from park, I felt the clutch and flywheel were connected immediately With the DCT from park, I feel there is a little bit of slippage and then when I slowly throttle the clutch grabs the flywheel.

I understand what your saying about turbo lag(I had a manual 240sx) and the car had tons of lag in the low rpms, but it would never bump or kick and act as if the vehicle would turn off.

Also,when the sport button is pressed, the transmission acts a little better still has some lag, when I move the lever over the M/S and hit sport button then everything is instantaneous. But then the car is always edgy and acts like a true manual.

It would be best to have my adaptations reset and to ensure all turbo functions in the "D" mode are working properly. There should be no bucking, kicking, and lag as if the car wants to shut off, this is plain ridiculous.

I also asked if my transmission and the DME has the latest software, I have a build date of 08/13. The dealership confirmed all my software is up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
This isn't some 2 liter four banger with a giant turbo on it. The N55 still has over 200 HP without the turbo. It's the fact that the DCT gets confused when you go under 5 but don't stop and doesn't know what to do.
Agreed. The wifes 128i flies at any moment any time you hit on the gas, granted I'm turboed and DCT. Someone on the forum stated to manually downshift to first gear when coming to a stop. This is good advice but kind of annoying, I should have just bought a manual then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMist371 View Post
Mine doesn't do that at all?
What's your build date?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Some do some don't. It has nothing to do with the turbo.
Appreciate 0