BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #23
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
i dont know why its hard to believe a 135 will cost more then a 328??? The one is overall a more impressive, faster, more standard options, etc then the 328. And i would NEVER but a 328 coupe over the 135. we are all here cause we love the one. Now....if the price competes with the 335 the that is a different story
no possible way this car will base for 30k......not a chance.....

=
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #24
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJackM View Post
Where is 128er when we need him??? Oh wait, it seems that we have his incarnation, so we are covered.
he disregards all discussions of 135 pricing.....he picks and chooses his battles wisely....

=
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 09:34 AM   #25
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyusc View Post
What!? That would make the 135i more expensive than a 328i coupe, and 2-3K more than the 328i sedan. Not happening, unless BMW decides to substantially increase the price of all its vehicles. I love the 135i engine, but come one, the 328i coupe is much more of a status symbol (which I could care less of, but others do consider this factor), and noticeably more spacious. I love the 135i engine, but I would buy a 328i coupe instead of a 135i in a heartbeat if it were cheaper than the 135i, or within 1-2K of the 328i. Better resale value, too. Not that many people want a super fast small car, except for the BMW 1addicts team, of which I am a proud member.:thumbup:But we are all guessing, including myself; but that's why I think it's important to post price predictions made by major magazines.
not a valid argument...the engine makes the car....the newness of the car, the demand for the car.....you can get a 328 discounted off MSRP, that wont happen with the 135 for quite a while.....I expect the 328 to be less.....as for 328 being more of a status symbol, thats BS.....a 6, 7, or M is a status symbol.....

=
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #26
NJKSC27
automobile aficionado
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
not a valid argument...the engine makes the car....the newness of the car, the demand for the car.....you can get a 328 discounted off MSRP, that wont happen with the 135 for quite a while.....I expect the 328 to be less.....as for 328 being more of a status symbol, thats BS.....a 6, 7, or M is a status symbol.....
i didn't catch that status symbol comment.....

what status symbol does a 328 make???thats just a ridiculous comment. an M3/M6 is a status symbol
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #27
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 02 RSX Type S

Wouldn't these cars be made (and priced) to "bridge the gap" between the Mini Coopers and 3 series? :iono: Just what makes me think it will be closer to 30k than 40k. I mean, it is still a small "luxury sport compact" style car? The pics show it smaller/as big as a golf. I dunno whos gonna pay 40k or close to 40k for a car that small, reguardless of it having bmw badges on it. Just what I'm thinkin though.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #28
Taki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fission View Post
Wouldn't these cars be made (and priced) to "bridge the gap" between the Mini Coopers and 3 series? :iono: Just what makes me think it will be closer to 30k than 40k. I mean, it is still a small "luxury sport compact" style car? The pics show it smaller/as big as a golf. I dunno whos gonna pay 40k or close to 40k for a car that small, reguardless of it having bmw badges on it. Just what I'm thinkin though.:iono:
Cars are not sold by the pound.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 01:59 PM   #29
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well if performance is an excuse to jack the price up, I've seen cars bought and built for under $2000 destroy corvettes/vipers in a line and on a track. Same with corvettes destroying ferarris and lamborghinis. Performance can be had for next to nothing. If size and performance don't matter than that only leaves comfort/convienence/ features, warranty, reliability and little badges/company bragging rights to be sold on, which most cars are. (alot of people drive cars and only know the brand name "Hey why'd you buy that?" "Because it's a <insert overpriced auto just because of the name/chic factor here>" or.."because its expensive" "oh...good reason." If you buy this car for the warranty your paying ~40k for a piece of paper that says if it breaks and its our fault we will fix it. Which if it breaks and its the manufactures fault it's not reliable, so those dont work either. the warranty will be worthless if nothing breaks and it's not reliable if something breaks. I dunno who pays 40k just for comfort features either, thats like paying ~40k for seats.

You pay the price to have all of these things, I realize that but there are plenty of cars that have all of these for less than 30k let alone 40. The 335i already has the 40k bracket. I just thought these were marketed to a "lower end" crowd. By lower end I only mean not wanting or being able to pay 40k+ for a small, fun car.

Don't get me wrong I am really glad to see bmw coming into the smaller sport compact market and am really excited to see the 1 series (hell I really want one!) but would like to see them price the cars accordingly, (http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0706_2008_bmw_1_series/ like here.) because the only thing that makes it different than any other luxury sport compact is "it's a bmw" and to me a company name isn't worth 10-20k.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
ericosaur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Competition

I'm going to have to assume $37.5k base for 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #31
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
he disregards all discussions of 135 pricing.....he picks and chooses his battles wisely....
Thank you!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #32
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKSC27 View Post
i didn't catch that status symbol comment.....

what status symbol does a 328 make???thats just a ridiculous comment. an M3/M6 is a status symbol
yes, we are in agreement ...read the prior posts...

=
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #33
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
I'm going to have to assume $37.5k base for 135i
too high IMO.....

=
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #34
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think the general rule here is that 128 and 135 come $3,000 - $3,400 below 328 and 335 sedan respectively. $37.5 may be too high, but it's not going to be "around" $30K. It will be $35,500.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #35
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

Don't get me wrong I am really glad to see bmw coming into the smaller sport compact market and am really excited to see the 1 series (hell I really want one!) but would like to see them price the cars accordingly, (http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0706_2008_bmw_1_series/ like here.) because the only thing that makes it different than any other luxury sport compact is "it's a bmw" and to me a company name isn't worth 10-20k.[/quote]

Good point and you are at least not delusional like someone else. It is ultimately each person's decision if the "intangible" is worth such and such dollars. I am sure you can find a lot other cars that are "a lot of car for the money" under $30K. My opinion is that 1-series is a project that BMW is content with a moderate success or as long as it is called an outright failure in the US. I think BMW is reluctantly bringing the series to the US since the real market segment of this car is what it is dealing in Europe and Asia with 4-cylinders and diesels. In the US, they know 4-cylinder biemers do not fly, so they are forced to use 6 cylinders. They cannot price the cars much lower than 3 seriese due to the cost and potential cannibalization of 3 series. They are not banking on this one, 3-series are their bread and butter. They are not going to dilute the brand image by selling "cheap" cars. And I will have to say this one more time, "this ain't a charity project for young BMW wannabe guys with a strict budget".
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #36
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

Sorry.... I meant "as long as it is NOT called an outright failure"
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #37
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep

ah yeah, I can see where your comin from there. In a way I hope it isn't priced too low either, its kinda hard with this car because if it's too low than like you said a buncha wana bee guys and kids are gonna get them and rice them out and this car will have no better culture than supras and skylines. But if it's too high I think they could lose alot of 1 sales to the 3 because alot of people esp general market will think, "i get bigger for a little bit more". Not everyone will think like that of course but in general I think Americans think bigger or more is better, so the upgrade for a slim amount will be the "obvious" choice.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #38
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fission View Post
ah yeah, I can see where your comin from there. In a way I hope it isn't priced too low either, its kinda hard with this car because if it's too low than like you said a buncha wana bee guys and kids are gonna get them and rice them out and this car will have no better culture than supras and skylines

the thought of this car sullied by kids "ricing them out" supercedes your satisfaction if the car were priced, let's see, 2k less than predicted????? You really care about that?

=
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #39
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJackM View Post
Don't get me wrong I am really glad to see bmw coming into the smaller sport compact market and am really excited to see the 1 series (hell I really want one!) but would like to see them price the cars accordingly
my prediction, 1 series = big hit in US....as big as, or bigger than Mini

1) Mass appeal among both models to a wide range of customers
2) Brand panache
3) affordable price

=
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #40
Fission
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

my prediction, 1 series = big hit in US....as big as, or bigger than Mini

1) Mass appeal among both models to a wide range of customers
2) Brand panache
3) affordable price

Trust me that is exactly what i hope for this car! Just don't want it to get caught in the FF street race scene. But it's not an import so I don't see it bein a big deal really.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #41
Bourbon
Member?
Rep
Drives:

So you don't care about brand image, but you do care about other people "ricing out" the car you happen to drive? :iono:
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #42
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon View Post
So you don't care about brand image, but you do care about other people "ricing out" the car you happen to drive? :iono:
all I really care about is having a nice car....and a + if it does 4.7 0-60....for all I care, others can paint it yellow and use it for taxi.....doesnt mean anything to me.....

=
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #43
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
all I really care about is having a nice car....and a + if it does 4.7 0-60....for all I care, others can paint it yellow and use it for taxi.....doesnt mean anything to me.....
Haha, I'm praying for 4.7 too!! That is SUCH a great starting point. Every single article has REALLY emphasized that its really really FAST. Cant wait for the real road tests and slalom times.
      11-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #44
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

Brand image, some people care more and others care less. I am kind of on the same camp with Fission. But, more importantly, my point is that this is all about business. I do not think BMW is ready to dilute the brand image by selling cheap cars. Nor they are trying to compete with likes of Camry's and Accord's, at least in the US. If BMW were trying to do it, they would use 4-cylinders and lesser diesels. BMW's hands are tied to do that in the US because there is a perception that 4-cylinder BMW (as well as hatchback) is a guaranteed failure. I am not going to predict if 1-series is goint to be a huge success or not because it probably mostly depends on the price. If they sold 128 at $25K or less, it would be a no-brainer success, but it's not going to happen. The price range BMW can play around makes this prediction really difficult because as Fission mentioned, if the price difference is insignificant many people are likely to skip 1-series and move to 3-series (I could be one of them).
Appreciate 0