BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #1
josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 135i

Dealer training

I went down to the local dealer to order a 135, and the salesman knew virtually nothing about it. I knew I was in trouble when he didn't know what Taupe was or how to spell it. I could have been talking to him about a (Russian) Chaika and gotten tghe same amount of info. :frown:
This brings up the question of who (and how) disseminates preproduction information to the sales staff. I went in there believing these people are experts in what they sell, and should at least be able to engage an enthusiast (and likely buyer) in a flow of tech. info.
What I found was straight out of that Edmund's 'Confessions of a car salesman' blog. 4-square before anything.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I would say your expectations were way too high. In my experience, anyone who does a lot of internet research and especially anyone that scours the forums will know as much and often much more than the average sales person. It is like anything else, some of them do their best to know their product, some of them not so much.

I remember when the E90 came out and I went in for a test drive. I was curious if the radio displayed song/artist info from MP3 CDs. The sales person didn't even know that it played MP3 CDs, in fact, I'm pretty sure she didn't know what an MP3 CD was. And she was one of their senior sales associates.

I don't expect a sales person to be an encyclopedia of BMW knowledge. But I do expect them to be able to quickly find things out from someone else on their staff or some other way. In their defense, there is so much minutia when it comes to these cars. The demographic they are selling to can be insanely picky. They aren't selling Kia's.

And plus, the car isn't out yet, they don't even have allocation yet. So do you blame that guy for not being the end-all-be-all authority on taupe?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Dr. No
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 135i (E82)

The first time I asked a salesman about the E82 he thought that I were talking about the E81 (the 3-door "sporshatch").
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Thunder Dan Majerle
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I went down to the local dealer to order a 135, and the salesman knew virtually nothing about it. I knew I was in trouble when he didn't know what Taupe was or how to spell it. I could have been talking to him about a (Russian) Chaika and gotten tghe same amount of info. :frown:
This brings up the question of who (and how) disseminates preproduction information to the sales staff. I went in there believing these people are experts in what they sell, and should at least be able to engage an enthusiast (and likely buyer) in a flow of tech. info.
What I found was straight out of that Edmund's 'Confessions of a car salesman' blog. 4-square before anything.
Was it a dealer in MA? Which one?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
josh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 135i

I think it's best to leave dealership names out of this. My intent was to point out that BMW could do much more to make shopping for a new car a pleasurable experience.
The person I talked to is a "Client Advisor", according to his business card. Where does he get the training and knowledge to advise his clients?
It was apparent he did not even look at the BMWNA website, at least as far as the series 1 is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Redline6thgear
Wheel Man
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I think it's best to leave dealership names out of this. My intent was to point out that BMW could do much more to make shopping for a new car a pleasurable experience.
The person I talked to is a "Client Advisor", according to his business card. Where does he get the training and knowledge to advise his clients?
It was apparent he did not even look at the BMWNA website, at least as far as the series 1 is concerned.

Cut the Guy Some Slack... You Basically went to dealership and wasted a "salesmans" time and grilled him on info about a car he cant sell you because he doesn't have it and has never seen it because it isnt even here yet... I sell cars for a living (So forgive me but I take things like this a lil personal) and you have to understand that "we" get paid to sell cars... not to provide the public with information (That's what the Internet is for) Chances are he hasn't even recieved any info from his dealership other than maybe an e-mail or two forwarded from BMWNA. And as for him searching websites for info ya kinda gotta look @ it this way. the guy is @ work selling cars 12 hours a day... I'm pretty sure in his off time he should be allowed to.... I dunno Sleep, eat, spend time with his family maybe?... He's not on a BMW website be cause he works for BMW... In his eyes BMW's aren't fun anymore because they represent "Work" and that means stress.... I am a "Client Advisor" for Lexus and I Know my product Inside and Out... But as soon as the first spy shots of the IS-F or LF-A hit the Internet I had Guys comming in asking me for info about the cars. I told them that "we didn't have any info but if they would like to leave a deposit on the car they could be #1 on the waiting list" (They probably went home and complained on the boards about me) Also as far as the "Client Advisor" thing goes in order for you to be my "Client" I must have a "Product" that I can "Advise" you "Purchase"... Now that I'm done with that... I can understand where you are comming from being an enthusiast and wanting the scoop on a car and then feeling like your sales guy is an idiot because he didn't have the Info u wanted. But you gotta understand that WE'RE ENTHUSIASTS!!! most people aren't... most guys that sell cars aren't actually. They are salemen that happen to sell cars. It's not a passion for them. I've been bitten By the BMW Bug since I got my 1st car in 1998 ( 1985 e30 325e 5-Speed with 180,*** on the clock. But I Sell "LEXUS" because I make more $$$ there.

You only have to do very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong. ~ Warren Buffett

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
fuhgetaboutit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Good response redline. The world is full of too many people that are quick to judge. And internet forums seem to bring that out in a lot of people. It is just a car! It won't solve world peace, and in all honesty, it won't even make you happy.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Redline6thgear
Wheel Man
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgetaboutit View Post
Good response redline. The world is full of too many people that are quick to judge. And internet forums seem to bring that out in a lot of people. It is just a car! It won't solve world peace, and in all honesty, it won't even make you happy.
Danke!

You only have to do very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong. ~ Warren Buffett

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

The only thing that's important is the dealership salespeople can fill out whatever paperwork they need to accurately and glad-hand you while you tell him what you're buying and how awesome it is and how cool you are you know more about it than he gives a rats arse about. That's it. If they happen to know anything about the car then more power to them.
      12-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I don't blame the salesman, and I don't think the OP really meant to either. I don't think the CA should have to look on the net like we do, BMWNA should get the CA's the info by the time customers can order their 1 series. CAs generally work bad hours and probably don't make enough money to buy most of the vehicles they sell, so I will cut them some slack. But if you want to be a professional then it requires you know your trade/product so BMW should really make it easy for them with better info.
      12-25-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Redline6thgear
Wheel Man
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I don't blame the salesman, and I don't think the OP really meant to either. I don't think the CA should have to look on the net like we do, BMWNA should get the CA's the info by the time customers can order their 1 series. CAs generally work bad hours and probably don't make enough money to buy most of the vehicles they sell, so I will cut them some slack. But if you want to be a professional then it requires you know your trade/product so BMW should really make it easy for them with better info.
This is true... although some of us make a little more than you think...lol. My Job is easy. I am a people person and I sell a product that sells itself. I'm pretty intuitive and I'm a soft sell which means that I'm not the type to pressure you into a deal unless I have to (you would be surprised but some people need that) My job consists of listening to my clients and then trying to find the best product that I offer whch suits their needs. The salesman of old is not only a well known cliche' but also a dying breed. The salesman of Now is flexible , aggresive yet adaptable. I've sold CEO's of major companies as well as the Questionable credit history cash paying street pharmacist. I adapt my style depending of the style of my client. Yes I'm a Marine Corps Vet (0231 Intel Spec) and My IQ is a certified 149 which means that statisticly I'm one of the smartest people you'll ever meet. But what Is more Important in my proffesion is to be able to relate to people on a human level. (this is called EQ or Emotional quotent) The fact that I'm only 27 does not hinder me during consultations of Type A personalities / power brokers due to the fact that I am able to find common ground and intrests with 85% of my clients. (I'm the kid that @ the age of six had read the entire world book encyclopedia because my parents had groomed me to think that was Normal) A salesmans job is sort of akin to an actors. know your role at any given time and deliver your lines. I have friends that are just getting out of med school and also 2 lawyer buddies yet I'm the one that by society is labeled "un-educated) yet I've earned a six figure income for the past two years while they are paying off student loans. Am I tying to come off as an ass right now?... the answer is no because none of you know me personally which means I have nothing to prove to you. I'd say 65% of the time I earn more than my clients that are close to twice my age (Lexus Demographics)but they will never know that due to the nature of my job and some people need their ego to be catered to. All I ask is that when you go to purchase your vehicle from your "CA" is that you treat the guy with respect and don't talk down to him. (I get that alot being 27 and Black/ Puertorican) and be honest with the guy. Because you may find out that you have more in common with him/her than you think!... that being said... who IN NJ has a "hook up with Vishnu?... I think I might want to make a move over to one of our BMW stores!!!:drinking:

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 03:01 AM   #12
Yoot1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgetaboutit View Post
... It is just a car! It won't solve world peace, and in all honesty, it won't even make you happy.
My salesman told me it will make me happy. And I'm counting on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #13
rdkind62
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

I joined this forum because I thought it would be a good way of learning from some people and possibly sharing what info I had with others, but it appears based on what I have read in the past few days that it is more a place for people to try and show you how much they THINK they know. And if you do not agree with their opinion then apparently you are just too stupid to understand. Is it possible for someone to ask a question and expect responses without having to hear everybody elses life story?
Appreciate 0