BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
NinjaDog
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Cooling mods at the track - ethanol?

Hi all,

As most know, one of the biggest issues with tracking these cars is keeping them cool. Aside from the obvious mods of a bigger rad, intercooler and oil cooler, could running e85 for example result in a noticeable drop in temps to keep the car running for longer at the track? I don't necessarily need more HP but I would definitely consider doing a flex tune if it meant lower temps. Or is it just a means to increase timing and boost?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 06:57 AM   #2
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaDog View Post
Hi all,

As most know, one of the biggest issues with tracking these cars is keeping them cool. Aside from the obvious mods of a bigger rad, intercooler and oil cooler, could running e85 for example result in a noticeable drop in temps to keep the car running for longer at the track? I don't necessarily need more HP but I would definitely consider doing a flex tune if it meant lower temps. Or is it just a means to increase timing and boost?

Cheers
E85 definitely helps keep exhaust gas temps down. Noticeable? not so sure on that but it be pretty hard to argue that lower EGTs wont help keep everything else a bit cooler too...
Appreciate 0