BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
mattryan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Best product(s) for leather care?

I've done some research online and apparently BMW's leather is "coated" so some leather conditioners may be pointless apparently? I've been looking at a few products and was just wondering if anyone could chime in about any of them or recommend any other ones...

Leather Master soft cleaner / protection cream

Zymol leather cleaner / leather conditioner / treat leather conditioner

Sonax leather cleaner & conditioner

Lexol cleaner / conditioner

Leatherique prestine clean / rejuvenator oil

The only one which I've used wasSonax and wasn't really a fan of it...
      03-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

I use Pinnacle Leather Conditioner. I find with 1 to 2 applications is all you need. What's really nice about Pinnacle is that it is totally not greasy or glossy and dries like you never no you used it except that the leather looks better, conditioned and as a bonus smells great. Pinnacle has the subtle scent of a leather jacket and after i was all finished treating the car and washed up the scent had me wanting to do the car again for the smell..freaky as i am a vegetarian for the past 30 years.. Lastly, i do believe that less=more when it comes to leather conditioners...a coat every 6 months is plenty..you over do it and it will not soak in anymore and will have a negative effect till the excess is taken off. I highly recommend this product.
      03-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i - DCT - N55

I always clean my leather seats with a piece of wet micro fibre cloth monthly not sure will that hurt or protect the leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I like Meguires products.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

(a) Clean - as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear. Use aqueous (water- based) foam cleaner (Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner) especially on aniline or ventilated seats. Foam encapsulates the dirt so that it can then be wiped away; allow the foam to dwell to ensure the chemicals have time to work. For ingrained soil the best results when cleaning the leather is to use a medium soft bristled brush to agitate the cleaner, this ensures a thorough cleaning

For stubborn dirt use Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner, which can be diluted with distilled water to the required strength; do not apply any liquid cleaning product directly to the surface of finished leather, as it may ‘spot’ clean leaving a faded area? Always apply cleaning products to folded 100% cotton micro fibre towel and then apply using light / medium pressure.

(b) Hydrated – is simply the replenishment of lost moisture, water molecules are smaller than the ones used in the polyurethane top coats, so it can permeate the finish in vapour form. This is essential to restore the suppleness and maintain leathers natural flexibility and keeps the leather at its optimum physical performance level, along with softness and strength.

A regular wipe down with a damp towel on a regular basis is all you need to condition and / or hydrate finished leather, and by using aqueous (water- based) products that do not contain oils and/or waxes, check the label if they do then don't use them. Leather should be hydrated on a regular basis and is somewhat climate dependent. Monthly hydration of leather upholstery in most southern states; Florida, Texas and Arizona, and etc especially during the summer months, would not be out of line

(c) Protected - is essential as it will protect the surface finish (Leather Master™ - Protection Cream) as a sacrificial layer; this way you are not actually cleaning the Leather's original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. It also makes dirt easier to clean off

“Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Golden3ye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

would you do the same for leatherette or are there other products for that

SOLD:
2012 135i | Le Mans | 6MT
1986 535i | Cirrus Blue Metallic | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
Cleaning

Periodically clean using Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane covered upholstery and vinyl trim, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane covered automotive upholstery and vinyl; this product is biodegradable, silicone and formalin-free as well as being environmentally friendly.

Applications - wash vinyl surfaces with soapy water and rinse with clean water and then thoroughly dry. Then use 1z einszett Plastik Reiniger. Do not use products that contain petroleum distillates as urethane absorbs them and causes it to yellow or silicon oil formulations as they are build-up type products which accelerate heat damage

Protection - with 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger” provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep exterior ‘rubber’ and vinyl looking like new. UV protection is a sacrificial / renewable component; this is due to the UV protection layer being degraded by exposure to the elements (sun, sand, road or sea salt, and etc) so it is imperative that you renew it and needs to be re-applied on a regular basis (dependent upon location climatic condition)

Application - Spray onto a clean micro fibre towel, agitate it well and then allow it to remain in place for 10-15 minutes. Finally using a clean micro fibre towel buff it to ensure it permeates
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

The Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is my favorite combination for both the leather and leatherette seats. It can be used to restore leather or just maintain leather in good shape. If you prefer a one step process the SONAX Leather Foam and the Einszett 1Z Lederpflege Leather Care are great choices.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I like Griots leather products.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I use 303 aerospace protectant.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
I use 303 aerospace protectant.
+1 for 303, both the protectant and fabric guard are outstanding. For leather conditioning I have been using Skidmore's leather cream for years on everything from car interiors to motorcycle leathers and the stuff cannot be beat. Great small company to order from and their product is the absolute best I have ever used

http://www.skidmores.com/products.asp?cat=14
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Whatever you like...make sure you use it!!! I hear all sorts of complaints about leather cracking or looking old but the owner applies some protection once a year! Find a product and use it every month or two minimum.
I use Lexol and have been happy with my results. I use the cleaner and water every 6 months and I make sure I put a coat of the conditioner on the seats every month. My seats look and feel great.
The only downside to Lexol is the seats feel a bit sticky for a day after donditioning them. Besides that I like it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@DetailedImage View Post
The Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil is my favorite combination for both the leather and leatherette seats. It can be used to restore leather or just maintain leather in good shape. If you prefer a one step process the SONAX Leather Foam and the Einszett 1Z Lederpflege Leather Care are great choices.

Greg @ DI
This is what I use, got it from Greg, of course.
      05-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden3ye View Post
There's a thread for cleaning and preserving leatherette, I think.

EDIT: Here's the thread: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688191

Last edited by bmw1racer; 05-14-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0