BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2019, 10:40 PM   #1
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - Black

Random Revving is back!

Hey guys. Frustrated 1M owner here. about 10 months ago I had this weird problem where my 1M would randomly rev on its own. The car would rev between about 1000 and 400 RPMs. It wouldn't do this constantly, but it would show up about every couple minutes. I ended up taking it the BMW dealer who diagnosed it with a "stress crack in the upper cylinder head cover/crankcase vent valve malfunction" Car seemed fine after that as I drove it a few hundred miles. The car has now been sitting for about 6 months (I did fill the tank and put Stabil in it right before I put it way). Today I turned it on, waited a minute, back out of the garage and the same problem. Random revving. At this point - WTF! Is there a way I can inspect the vent valve myself?

Here is a clip:

2022 - Lexus ES350 - Black
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

A. Clean or replace fuel injectors
B. Drive it more and drive it hard

I feel this is just from lack of driving, possibly clogged injectors or something to do with fuel system. Letting it sit for 6 months will definitely make things much worse. How many total miles are on the car?
      06-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

16.8k miles.

I travel quite a bit which makes driving it somewhat difficult, but i agree, these cars do not like to sit.

since the symptoms are identical to what it previously did im thinking its the same thing and that vent valve simply cannot function after sitting so long.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Gonven
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
A. Clean or replace fuel injectors
B. Drive it more and drive it hard

I feel this is just from lack of driving, possibly clogged injectors or something to do with fuel system. Letting it sit for 6 months will definitely make things much worse. How many total miles are on the car?
First option, i was with the same problem and i just clean the injectors and thats it
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

ETR when the car sits, condensation can form inside the engine and it can run rough until it burns it out. I have never left mine for that long but I have left it a month and it runs rough until the condensation burns off then it runs ok again. Does stop doing that after you drive it? Then it returns after sitting a long time?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

nachob - it did seem better this morning when i took it to the dealer. this doesnt seem rough - it seems, well, just very very weird. i think the reason why i think its a mechanical issue is because this is the EXACT problem i had last july. and even that time - after 100 miles of driving, it was still there until the dealer made the repair (thinking back on it now, i wonder if they just drove the car hard for a bit whereas i was driving like a grandma around). i think it can present a somewhat dangerous situation if you're in a tight space and suddenly the car is lurching forward because it decided to rev up.

i think i need to quit my job and just drive the 1m more. everytime i drive it i love the experience!

does anyone recommend turning the car on and letting it run for a few minutes without driving it? i ask because since i rarely drive it i actually take the insurance off of it so i cannot drive it around. ive read that its best to just let the car sit and not let it idle.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post
nachob - it did seem better this morning when i took it to the dealer. this doesnt seem rough - it seems, well, just very very weird. i think the reason why i think its a mechanical issue is because this is the EXACT problem i had last july. and even that time - after 100 miles of driving, it was still there until the dealer made the repair (thinking back on it now, i wonder if they just drove the car hard for a bit whereas i was driving like a grandma around). i think it can present a somewhat dangerous situation if you're in a tight space and suddenly the car is lurching forward because it decided to rev up.

i think i need to quit my job and just drive the 1m more. everytime i drive it i love the experience!

does anyone recommend turning the car on and letting it run for a few minutes without driving it? i ask because since i rarely drive it i actually take the insurance off of it so i cannot drive it around. ive read that its best to just let the car sit and not let it idle.
Driving would be better for sure but i don't buy letting it sit for 6 months being better than starting and running it a little. It's a machine and needs to run. I would run it periodically over not running. I would also run the ac as there is oil that needs to lubricate seals. I have countless model airplane engines that I burn the fuel out and lubricator for storage and several froze up regardless from not running them. People say all kinds of nonesense online. I have heard factory engineers answer questions and some nobody just says. Well that's his opinion and mine has the same merit. I'm sure there are some downsides to only idling but they can't be as bad as letting it sit for 6 months. Fuel in lines gets moved around all sorts of pluses.

Anyway, there might be another issue but I have seen that both my 1Ms ran a little rough after sitting a long time then they settle down after driving a bit. Sorry about your problems!!! I hope they find the cause and you. An share with us.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #8
goodboy1451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr2016 View Post

When you store the car for a long period, thought you were supposed to do some kind of preparations (oil change etc).

M cars are like warriors. They are designed to be driven regularly and hard. Mine is a daily driver and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Tinsta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1CSL

You could try resetting the ecu adaptions with a diag tool, mhd free version / jb4 can do these.
      06-18-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

I agree with pretty much all the responses... German cars in general do not like to sit. Thats why I am always perplexed to see people forking out $$$$$$$$ for old cars with no miles on them. Cause you know it will instantly need a rebuild. However, a car that is being driven and well maintained is probably going to be less hassle and cheaper. not to mention you wont be precious with it.

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 1
nachob2307.00
      06-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #11
etr2016
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the car back from the dealer today. They replaced the injectors under the extended warranty. I know the SA pretty well and have been asking to get these covered just for peace of mind. Not sure if this really will fix the problem (the car did drive totally fine today), but the idle is definitely smoother. Many techs took a look at the car and believed it simply sat too long and driving it for a bit would have fixed the problem (which I mostly agreed with because the second time I drove the car prior to taking it to the dealer I could barely get the car to replicate the problem). Having the Youtube video definitely helped me solidify my complaint though.
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1203.00