04-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Non OEM brake pads without changing rotors

Hi guys, 128i owner with the BMW performance brake kit (which are the same brakes as the 135i stock if I'm not mistaken).

About time to replace the front brake pads. Was planning on doing so without changing the rotors as they look to be in good shape. A mechanically inclined friend of mine suggested that I only replace the pads with the OEM pads because he says the surface of the rotor has adjusted to the pad type and a different pad might score them in a different pattern and cause them to warp. Is there any truth to this?

Was looking to get as close to OEM "feel" in terms of bite with an aftermarket product but with less brake dust. If what my friend says is true in any way I'm just going the OEM route. Your help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Hi guys, 128i owner with the BMW performance brake kit (which are the same brakes as the 135i stock if I'm not mistaken).

About time to replace the front brake pads. Was planning on doing so without changing the rotors as they look to be in good shape. A mechanically inclined friend of mine suggested that I only replace the pads with the OEM pads because he says the surface of the rotor has adjusted to the pad type and a different pad might score them in a different pattern and cause them to warp. Is there any truth to this?

Was looking to get as close to OEM "feel" in terms of bite with an aftermarket product but with less brake dust. If what my friend says is true in any way I'm just going the OEM route. Your help is appreciated.
Sorry guys, I realized I posted this in the wrong section of the forum. I just searched for "brakes" and picked the first one not realizing the 1M forum also had its own dedicated brake forum. Coincidentally this was my 1000th post..think I'd know better by now. Don't suppose there is a way a mod can move this?
Appreciate 0