BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #23
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Installed a few things in the last weeks:

- 672lbs rear Swift springs with HPA perches and thrust sheets, thankfully can swap springs without dropping rear control arm.

- Powerflex rear subframe bushings (race black)

Next up:

- Rogue Engineering Toe Arms
- HPA front control arm spherical bearing bushing
- Aero things

Excited to run Laguna Seca once the traffic is gone from car week... Heading down on labor day with speedSF! Trying to get into the low 1:40 range. Mainly need to be go flatter on turn 1 (#pucker) and figure out my line for 2... Suggestions?
Attached Images

08-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #24
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Hey. I'm a SpeedSF regular. I'm looking at a 135i that I won't be afraid of destroying at Sonoma
Too bad I'm going to T-Hill with them Labor Day...otherwise I would be there to check out your ride. As for MRLS, a driver has gotta stay flat over T1, no matter what car (I've had some fast cars). T2 is easy, once one gets accustomed to being flat over T1, it all sorta works out. It depends on the car
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #25
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
Hey. I'm a SpeedSF regular. I'm looking at a 135i that I won't be afraid of destroying at Sonoma
Too bad I'm going to T-Hill with them Labor Day...otherwise I would be there to check out your ride. As for MRLS, a driver has gotta stay flat over T1, no matter what car (I've had some fast cars). T2 is easy, once one gets accustomed to being flat over T1, it all sorta works out. It depends on the car
Yeah I've only been there twice... I've gone flat once T1 and it wasn't bad but it was the last session that I ran the track and I kinda forget my markers, I guess just stay right pre-bridge and it all works out.

Will be down at Buttonwillow for a test & tune day this Saturday, was looking at SpeedSF at T-hill on Labor Day but I've got some family obligations I shouldn't miss.

PM me, maybe we can connect at a track day coming up. You live in the bay area I assume?
      08-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #26
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

I was told by a wise old racer to glance at the single house on the hill after I went under the bridge and that would help gauge where to set up for the left after the crest. It becomes second nature after a couple of times. I try not to hit any cones
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 02:10 AM   #27
frontside0815
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 135i FBO

Why did you buy/use other perches?
Are the Standart ST ones not able to be used with the Swift springs?

Please give a Feedback on how the springs changed the way the car drives .

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
I was told by a wise old racer to glance at the single house on the hill after I went under the bridge and that would help gauge where to set up for the left after the crest. It becomes second nature after a couple of times. I try not to hit any cones
Haha I actually don't like Laguna from a "learning to drive fast" perspective, the low end power of our cars allows us to make mistakes and still land in the low 1:40s.

Prefer Buttonwillow or Thunderhill 2-mile is probably the best from a technical standpoint.

Thanks for the tip!
      08-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #29
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontside0815 View Post
Why did you buy/use other perches?
Are the Standart ST ones not able to be used with the Swift springs?

Please give a Feedback on how the springs changed the way the car drives .

Thanks!
Yeah I went with standard sized rear linear swifts and the stock rear XTAs adjusters were off by a bit.

I've driven them once now, definitely helped instill more confidence on long sweepers and under acceleration... I'm running a stiffer Dinan rear sway which might need to be swapped out for the stocker. Also, it took me a while to get the dampeners adjusted to the new springs, car felt really "floaty" through Riverside (Buttonwillow) but once I stiffened them up I was able to gain a few mph on entry. Still have a lot of learning to do!
      08-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #30
Dr1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post

- 672lbs rear Swift springs with HPA perches and thrust sheets, thankfully can swap springs without dropping rear control arm.

Next up:

- Aero things

Excited to run Laguna Seca once the traffic is gone from car week... Heading down on labor day with speedSF! Trying to get into the low 1:40 range. Mainly need to be go flatter on turn 1 (#pucker) and figure out my line for 2... Suggestions?
Speaking of aero things can you shed some light on the front splitter you have? Tangible gains? Any stability problems without rear downforce at speed?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 02:56 AM   #31
frontside0815
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I went with standard sized rear linear swifts and the stock rear XTAs adjusters were off by a bit.

I've driven them once now, definitely helped instill more confidence on long sweepers and under acceleration... I'm running a stiffer Dinan rear sway which might need to be swapped out for the stocker. Also, it took me a while to get the dampeners adjusted to the new springs, car felt really "floaty" through Riverside (Buttonwillow) but once I stiffened them up I was able to gain a few mph on entry. Still have a lot of learning to do!

But you could run a spring which fits the Standard XTA adjusters, right?

Sounds good, i think i will try them also. Feel like my ST XTA could be a Little harder.

I have stock sway bars, wanted to Change them along with an clutch type diff in the winter. You lost grip installing the harder springs or why you think the stock bar would be better?

Thanks for your answer :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #32
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

But you could run a spring which fits the Standard XTA adjusters, right?

Sounds good, i think i will try them also. Feel like my ST XTA could be a Little harder.

I have stock sway bars, wanted to Change them along with an clutch type diff in the winter. You lost grip installing the harder springs or why you think the stock bar would be better?

Thanks for your answer :-)
Yes you can buy springs that fit the stock XTA adjusters. I would 100% install stiffer rear springs, the front felt way too stiff (vs the rear) with the stock XTA springs. I think a rear toe adjustment is in line as the rear felt a bit twitchy over burms & through some turns.

Maybe the rear is oversprung now? The nice thing about the 9in swifts is you don't need to remove the suspension to swap them so I might buy another rate and play around with spring rates next month.

I'm kinda shocked that these XTAs aren't more popular, with linear springs they're a hell of a lot better than stock V3s.

I'll likely end up with MCS or KW CS in the future but these are really solid for now.
      08-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #33
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1 View Post
Quote:

Next up:

- Aero things

Speaking of aero things can you shed some light on the front splitter you have? Tangible gains? Any stability problems without rear downforce at speed?
Honestly I don't have any good data as I installed it a while back and just use Harrys with an external GPS. Aim solo is my next toy but I would say that after removing all seats the car has a tad less rear grip, I've adjusted by reducing rear tire pressure 1-2psi. This may also be a function of the front splitter?

The splitter only protrudes 3 inches as I was trying to follow (somewhat) the enthusiast class rules for Redline Time Attack. A rear wing would be great as this platforms short wheelbase is pretty twitchy
Attached Images

08-23-2017, 01:49 AM   #34
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Have you done any experiment with the rear damper rebound setting to restore some grip? I found that very soft damper setting makes it hard to get traction out of corners if the car is unsettled. Rear dampers that are too firm could be a problem with cornering stability.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #35
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Have you done any experiment with the rear damper rebound setting to restore some grip? I found that very soft damper setting makes it hard to get traction out of corners if the car is unsettled. Rear dampers that are too firm could be a problem with cornering stability.
Yeah I went from nearly full stiff to 50% and settled at 6 or 7 clicks from stiff. Definitely helped
      09-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #36
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Today's afternoon project, trying to get some seat time at Thunderhill next weekend. Stoked to trust my brakes again!
Attached Images

09-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #37
odj
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is + six other cars

Quote:
Today's afternoon project, trying to get some seat time at Thunderhill next weekend. Stoked to trust my brakes again!
Nice! You'll find your brakes are going to stay a lot cooler.

Two things:
1. Your rotors are on backwards - check out the stoptech installation instructions
2. Have you coded out the DSC nannies?

Pic of proper brake direction:

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:28 PM   #38
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Quote:
Nice! You'll find your brakes are going to stay a lot cooler.

Two things:
1. Your rotors are on backwards - check out the stoptech installation instructions
2. Have you coded out the DSC nannies?
Haha I noticed the rotor issue today! And I'm a 2008 without the DSC issues
      09-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #39
odj
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 135is + six other cars

Quote:
oh, right on I just put new rotors on mine this weekend so I have that pic burnt into my head.

Does that mean you don't have FBS, FLR, RAB enabled in yours? My buddy has an early '09 and reports he can have a lot more fun without anything disabled than I can (though that may be other settings). I'm gonna pull a trace on his DSC module soon as I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #40
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odj View Post
Quote:
oh, right on

Does that mean you don't have FBS, FLR, RAB enabled in yours? My buddy has an early '09 and reports he can have a lot more fun without anything disabled than I can (though that may be other settings). I'm gonna pull a trace on his DSC module soon as I get a chance.
Yep, long press traction control button and everything is off! A reminder of a simpler time in-car technology haha
      09-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #41
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Swapped the rotors and got some KWs that were laying around installed. They had some issues (stripped threads) and I picked them up for really cheap with 0 miles.
Attached Images

09-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #42
frontside0815
Private
Rep

KW Clubsports?
How are they compared to the ST XTA? Their Spring rates are the same right?

Once again, if i want to try 120N/mm springs for my ST XTA i use this one: Swift 10inch, 65mm, 672lbs right?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #43
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
KW Clubsports?
How are they compared to the ST XTA? Their Spring rates are the same right?

Once again, if i want to try 120N/mm springs for my ST XTA i use this one: Swift 10inch, 65mm, 672lbs right?

Thank you!
So I hacked together some budget Clubsports with the following parts:
- KW V3 shocks (4)
- Rear Swift 672lbs springs (65mm x 10in)
- ST linear front springs (Labeled: KW CS spring)
- ST XTA Camber Plates (Rebranded KWCS plates)
- Rear HPA Height adjusters
*** I understand that the CS & V3 dampening and design vary slightly. I'm stuck with this until someone decides to send me some MCSs ***

Great thing is, I have a leftover set of SA XTA Coilovers with KW V3 springs. Lmk if anyone wants them, they're basically a KW V2 setup with <1,000 miles for cheap
      09-11-2017, 04:37 AM   #44
frontside0815
Private
Rep

And now the damping with the V3 Shocks is better then with the ST XTA Shocks?

And the 65mm x 10in Spring is the one i could use to just Change out my 80n/mm spring, right?

I will also jump on M3 E92/ M3 E93 Sway Bars- so i am not sure if i should wait with changing the spring rate or not.
Appreciate 0