E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > For the members that leased their E90.

11-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
For the members that leased their E90.

Did you spend any money on mods? Not including snow tires/wheels.

I leased my E90 and now I wished I had gotten clear bra. Worth it for a lease?
The front does look much better without the line, but the paint chips on the hood and bumper really makes me think it's worth the visible line.

I had clear bra on my 04 TL and after a few months the clear bra got really cloudy. The TL had black pearl paint. I used Plexus, wax, polish, Klasse AIO to clean and protect the clear bra, but it still clouded up.

Should I get the hood and bumper repainted and install clear bra or just leave it alone and when the lease is up just return the car with/without repainting if they do/don't charge me for the paint chips?
How much does repainting the hood and bumper usually cost? I can probably use Langka and touch-up paint for the hood, but what about the bumper?

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Read the literature inregards to having to pay of paint chips. Unless you get a huge chip, I'd not worry soo much about having to pay for a repainted hood. Chips are part of normal wear and tear.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
krndanic307
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: F20 M140

Sorry for my lack of knowledge =P... But can you guys tell me what the clear bra is? Can you guys post pictures?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krndanic307
Sorry for my lack of knowledge =P... But can you guys tell me what the clear bra is? Can you guys post pictures?
Here is a picture of one:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

It's a protective clear plastic piece that covers the front of the can to protect against rock chips.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I had clear bra on my old A4 (also a lease). After 4 years, it started to peel off at the edges and dirt accumulated - the car acually looked not so hot because of it.

As for protection, 3 months before my lease was up on the HWY a rock hit the car, loud bang, no dent but...yes, chip-went right through the clear bra. So I touched it up.

I got the bra for the A4 because I had a contact which resulted my paying only for the material (I used 3M), not labour etc.

Did not get the clear bra for the e90 bcs:

1. cost of bra (my contact is no longer available) vs repaint if necessary not that great and therefore I rather have the car look good until the chips come (rather than have the bra line etc.); and

2. bought touch-up paint and fully plan on using it. At the end of the lease, BMW will not charge me for the chips which are also going to be touched up.

For larger chips I may have the dealer touch them up prfessionally (still costs less than full hood repaint).

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
ON325i
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Garage List
2006 e90 325i  [0.00]
noflash's clear bra is so clear, i can't see his bra at all.

But seriously, I don't think I will be spending any $ on such items on my leased e90.

I do consider something like the black line tail light or the front lip spoiler for the cosmetic aspect. As for performance mods, I am very happy with what I have now.
      11-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies.

The road debris are killing me. I remember on my previous car, about 3 years ago, I got hit by a pebble/rock right when I merged onto the freeway. I was driving on a ramp that is curved and once I got around the curve and about to merge onto the freeway, out of no where a rock hits my windshield and left a nice crack. There wasn't any cars in front of me except for this truck that was way ahead of me that was on the freeway already.

Old: 08 E92 335i|Space Gray/Coral Red/Gray Poplar

Old: 06 E90 330i|Black Sapphire/Black /Burl
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Mikey3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90..... soon....

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Here is a picture of one:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

It's a protective clear plastic piece that covers the front of the can to protect against rock chips.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I think a clear bra if you owed the car is worthwhile. On a lease, im sure little hips are ok

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 05:24 PM   #9
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Forgot to mention -what I did get as accessories are tinted windows and mud guards (helps keep the winter slush away from my pants in winter).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 08:04 PM   #10
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

If our history with previous BMWs is any indication, we had no need for any of it.

We leased our 2002 325i and it had 28,000 miles on it after 38 months (extended 2 months waiting for the E90). The car was in such nice shape and had been totally problem free, so we ended up getting it certified and keeping it also. After almost 3 1/2 years, the front only has a couple of noticeable rock chips. On the other hand, the windshield is a mess with tons of small pits and chips. The one mod I wish they had was a clear bra for the windshield!

Since we don't put many miles on our cars and so far they look terrific after 3 years, I'm happy that we've haven't spent the money on any of that stuff.

Keep in mind that I can get a special "employee promo" price on a clear bra that is actually less than what they charge the dealer if I wanted it for one of my own cars (I'd pay less than $200 last time I checked), but I still don't think it's worth it.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary. Different consumers have different driving habits. These results are not typical and are not necessarily indicative of what you can expect with your vehicle.
      11-11-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
com_mander
Rep
Drives: 325i sport package

A little touch up paint for the chips on your hood shouldn't be more than $50, and generally isn't even necessary for a lease return.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #12
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
If you trade in the lease and get a new BMW, they are quite lenient. Even so, they expect a USED CAR when it is returned.

In my e46, I hit a suitcase on the highway at 90mph, scraping and cracking the front spoiler and causing $800 worth of damage. I was going to get it fixed, but instead I got some touch up paint, and drove it until I traded it in. I was a little fearful, but I knew I could always make an insurance claim if they hit me with fees. So, I knew it would be no more than $500. It was assessed after I ordered a new e90, so they barely looked at it. (They were most concerned with tire wear!)
      11-13-2005, 04:13 PM   #13
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Ok, it is more than the literature, there are FEDERAL guidelines for what is considered normal wear and tear:

Dents less than 1" in diameter (roughly a nickel) are considered normal.

Chips/scratches of less than 6" that do not go all the way to the base metal are also considered normal.

Small stains and wear on the interior is normal (Similar in size, but I don't know the specifics of this one).

But, as I see it, I don't spend ANY money on a leased car that isn't something I can take off and reuse/resell at the end of the lease.

Afterall, the car is not yours. It is BMW's. You're just renting it for a while. Would you spend that money on a weekend rental? Then why spend it on a 3-year lease?

There are some gotchas, but basically if you live in a state with an inspection of the body every year (like PA, NJ, etc...) then so long as your car would pass inspection, they can't really charge you for it (beyond the cosmetic damages I listed above). But tire wear and tear, break wear, and the such CAN be charged if you're below 'acceptable/safe' measures.

The way to get around that for tires is that if your tires are low pre lease turn in to buy a used tire or two. They're not allowed to charge if there is an acceptable tire on the car, even if it doesn't match the rest (has to match in size/etc.. but not brand).