BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #45
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
If you mean the lack of rear seats, then I agree with you. If you mean some class/status/demographic conotation, then I'm going to laugh may ass off at it.

The Corvette is an absolutely cracking sports car and truly if I didn't need rear seats, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Gets better mileage too, to address another poster's concern. :smile:

Base price may be a few grand higher, but they also come better equipped. Add Sport Package, Leather, power seats, premium audio or any other (short) list of options to the 135i and it will be right there with them, at around the $40k mark.

The GXP is supposed to fulfill that potential. Anyway, it will have better acceleration, will handle decently, have a nice interior and loads of space.

Again, acceleration was the main concern of the post. One other poster started being concerned about gas mileage, now you add handling to the mix - anything really just to have the 1 "win", to justify the purchase. Fine by me, I'll drink to that...
No, the Corvette is a pure sportscar w/o a backseat, thus it's not in the same class. I would love to have one, but it's not feasible, even for a small family.

The only way I can think of to compare pricing in a fair manner is by comparing the base price. I'm not going to get started in the options.

I'm not trying to switch from acceleration to handling in order to have the 135 "win". I don't know how you took that from my posts :iono: I'm trying to define vehicles into a comparable group. There is no winning when it comes to car choices!

I honestly think that we both have a love for (all) cars and share a similar, but slightly different, perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #46
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
All Dodge/Chrysler SRT-8 models
A few Audis (S4/RS4/R8 etc.)
A variety of Benzes
A variety of Porsches
Nissan 350Z, Infinity G37
A few Lexus models
Corvettes
Hyunday Genesis V8 sedan and the new Coupe
etc.

All these cars have similar or better acceleration numbers, some cost thousands less. BMW is most definitely not alone in the 300+ BHP bracket.

But none of them drive themselves, so a more pertinent question is: can YOU do 4.8sec 0-60 in your 135i?
(I tried in my 335 and all I did was roast my rear tires in an embarrasing manner).
I can do it all day every day thanks to my auto trans, I can even do it with a broken leg, arm, etc.

Just thought since we started bickering about our cars we could add the transmission fight to the thread since I don't think it has been duked out this week yet.
      07-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #47
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

On a side note, if you never allow your car to be compared to anything else it will forever be 'best in its class!'

Each of these cars have their own strengths and weaknesses people, be not ashamed if it can do some things better than your car as long as your car is best for you. You can compare the 135 to a 1979 cadilac deville, there are no limits to comparison.

"They're just words they don't control us." Dane Cook
      07-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #48
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
All Dodge/Chrysler SRT-8 models
A few Audis (S4/RS4/R8 etc.)
A variety of Benzes
A variety of Porsches
Nissan 350Z, Infinity G37
A few Lexus models
Corvettes
Hyunday Genesis V8 sedan and the new Coupe
etc.

All these cars have similar or better acceleration numbers, some cost thousands less. BMW is most definitely not alone in the 300+ BHP bracket.

But none of them drive themselves, so a more pertinent question is: can YOU do 4.8sec 0-60 in your 135i?
:bs:

Is this guy drunk........

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #49
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
On a side note, if you never allow your car to be compared to anything else it will forever be 'best in its class!'

Each of these cars have their own strengths and weaknesses people, be not ashamed if it can do some things better than your car as long as your car is best for you. You can compare the 135 to a 1979 cadilac deville, there are no limits to comparison.

"There just words they don't control us." Dane Cook
I think you're taking what I said to the extreme....unless you cross shopped the caddy and the 135. Hell, you could have both. Just put the 135 in the trunk and take it out as needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #50
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I have no idea what a 79 caddy would look like, but you are probably right. I just didn't want this to go to a dark place, I don't like when people scoff at my car because it costs less/more so I hope what you said about having a love for all performance cars is the way most feel.

I guess to make an actual contribution to the thread I may have to say that originally someone said 'thats a lot of motor' wasn't necessarily the case and eventually pointed out cars that had more or as least as much. To that I will respond with: just because there are other cars out there that have great powerplants (read: a lot of motor) doesn't take away from the 135 having one as well. We as 135 owners should also not be blind to the fact that there our other cars out there that have 'a lot of motor' as well. Just tip your hat to them as u see them and enjoy your ride. I believe in competition, just not all the time in every aspect of life.
      07-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #51
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea what a 79 caddy would look like, but you are probably right. I just didn't want this to go to a dark place, I don't like when people scoff at my car because it costs less/more so I hope what you said about having a love for all performance cars is the way most feel.

I guess to make an actual contribution to the thread I may have to say that originally someone said 'thats a lot of motor' wasn't necessarily the case and eventually pointed out cars that had more or as least as much. To that I will respond with: just because there are other cars out there that have great powerplants (read: a lot of motor) doesn't take away from the 135 having one as well. We as 135 owners should also not be blind to the fact that there our other cars out there that have 'a lot of motor' as well. Just tip your hat to them as u see them and enjoy your ride. I believe in competition, just not all the time in every aspect of life.
*high five*

:drinking:
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #52
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

backatcha
      07-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #53
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-One-Da? View Post
Report back that I don't like wheelspin?:iono:

I don't need to drive a chipped one to report that. In fact I have driven a 335i Sedan with Dinan Stage 2, RR DP's and catback. It was a blast but he also put down more rubber to handle the extra power so wheelspin is still minimal.

I have also owned a 69' Camaro SS with about 480hp and 450ft.lbs so I know what wheelspin feels like. It is fun but sucks for performance.

BTW- I have a SSTT sitting at my house right now waiting for my 1er to arrive this month. I will report back then:wink:
My awd stg3 S4 had plenty of traction but when I hit the gas it accelerated and felt like it was fighting to spin one of the four tires. I loved to hit the gas hard while coming out of a turn and have the entire car start floating over because all four tires couldn't hold. Yes, not fast but very fun. I always said that if it were rear drive it would spin tires much more than it did. My last 1/4 mile in that car was 12.1 at 119mph.

The 245 wide rear tires are way more than adequate for the 135i's power. I'm pretty sure the dinan software will give it just enough extra power without going overboard on the stock suspension.
      07-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #54
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I took a buddy out in my 135i Vert today as he flew into town for an hour lay over. I never got over 5k rpm's <dang break in period>, but did drop the hammer a few times specifically coming out of hard turns. I think he was close to wetting himself LOL. Today is probably the hardest I have pushed my girl, honestly I had this overwelming feeling that Kat was smiling with an evil grin and thinking...FINALLY this boy is letting me show him what I can do!

And damn does she do it well.....
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #55
doubleA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:

Good perspective.
      07-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #56
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

oh please ..... listen i dont blame any one for hating on the 135i

cuz i if i had the 335i and a year after the 135i came out

THEN I WOULD HATE TO
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #57
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
oh please ..... listen i dont blame any one for hating on the 135i

cuz i if i had the 335i and a year after the 135i came out

THEN I WOULD HATE TO
Hate?

Why would anybody hate inanimate things? Aren't we supposed to reserve that strong emotion for people? :biggrin:

In case anybody here is wondering, I specifically leased a 335i for 2 years, knowing that the 135i is on the horizon, so I can play with tuning options and check out the reliability of the N54 engine, without the risk of purchase.

(I'm not too encouraged with the reliability aspect, BTW - but I'm trying to chalk it up to first year production niggles).

But when someone posts that they took their bone stock 135i vert (which is heavier than my 335i), never revved it beyond 5000 RPM because of break in, and yet thought it was the dog's balls in terms of acceleration... well... it seems to me it does become a matter of perspective.

Looking forward to buying a 135i though...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #58
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Hate?

Why would anybody hate inanimate things? :biggrin:
Ever deal with Lucas electrics on an older British roadster?:wink:
Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #59
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Ever deal with Lucas electrics on an older British roadster?:wink:
Tom
Well, I've dealt with Windows for many years now.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #60
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hate?

Why would anybody hate inanimate things? Aren't we supposed to reserve that strong emotion for people? :biggrin:

In case anybody here is wondering, I specifically leased a 335i for 2 years, knowing that the 135i is on the horizon, so I can play with tuning options and check out the reliability of the N54 engine, without the risk of purchase.

(I'm not too encouraged with the reliability aspect, BTW - but I'm trying to chalk it up to first year production niggles).

But when someone posts that they took their bone stock 135i vert (which is heavier than my 335i), never revved it beyond 5000 RPM because of break in, and yet thought it was the dog's balls in terms of acceleration... well... it seems to me it does become a matter of perspective.

Looking forward to buying a 135i though...
135 heavier then 335? guy thats driving must be fat
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #61
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
135 heavier then 335? guy thats driving must be fat
Pay attention please - that was a 135 convertible.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #62
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Pay attention please - that was a 135 convertible.

im sorry adc i was:drinking:when i was reading
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #63
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

^^I only drink when I am alone or with someone.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #64
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
I can do it all day every day thanks to my auto trans, I can even do it with a broken leg, arm, etc.

Just thought since we started bickering about our cars we could add the transmission fight to the thread since I don't think it has been duked out this week yet.
Oh, I forgot to mention only sissy boys buy autos..

J/K :biggrin:
      07-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #65
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

It appears that an auto is about the only option you didn't order. Manuals are for control freaks who are too insecure to admit that a computer is better than them.

JK
      07-04-2008, 10:50 AM   #66
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
I love the 335 Coupe for its looks and hate the way it drives. I love the 135i for the way it drives and totally dislike the startled front look and gratuitously tortuous shapes. There is no form following the function in the 135i - just some space constraints and needlessly complex surfacing.

And I fully expect to do a Euro Delivery on a 135i next summer, and I'm sure I'll love my 1 to bits. But pretty it ain't.
Quote:
I absolutely love how inflated the 135 owners egos are.
I love how inflated your ego is.

Why don't people understand that statements of opinion are NEVER statements of fact. Anyone commenting on the LOOKS of a car are stating their opinion, and I know the Bill O'Reilly minions would disagree with this, but merely stating one's opinion doesn't make it fact!

I love the looks of the 1er, but that doesn't mean everyone else must like the looks as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0