BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #23
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I forgot to add that it took the other driver weeks to admit it was his fault so my son went through his own insurance company to have his car fixed and they were the ones who were too cheap to give him two new headlight covers.
The rear ender was dealt with the at fault's insurance being a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual. The deer strike was through our insurance being State Farm. Both companies said they will not do OE parts if there are aftermarket or junk yard parts available. This is why the trusted body shop I do business with is so valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
In my rear-ending, the other party's insurance company was contacted (their fault) and they (Progressive) gave me two options; to send the car in to a shop of my choice to be repaired back to OEM spec by them with their choice of parts, or, I download the Progressive app, snap some pictures and a video, and they'll evaluate those and send me a check for the damages. I chose the later, which would allow me to pick and choose which parts really need replacing, and which ones don't, and will pay the difference if it costs more to repair than the check is worth. I can also just pocket the check and put it towards an LSD, etc. My evidence is being evaluated, and I'm hanging by the nails waiting for the results...
Per my comments in this thread, if you have a trusted body shop which does good work and knows how to work the system, you don't have to go through all the unnecessary hoops you're going through. There should be zero out of pocket from you going through insurance...especially when you're not at fault. The rear ender my wife was involved in...the body shop managed to get Liberty Mutual to pay for a whole new rear door hatch on her RDX. Outwardly, you wouldn't think the whole door needed to be replaced. But the body shop couldn't get the door gaps to line up correctly and used this to justify a new door. On the deer strike, the estimate started at around $1500 and ballooned up to about $4k after they tore apart the front end of the car. The majority of the cost spike was due to the the driver's side headlight assembly needing to be replaced too; which are HIDs. To make the insurance company happy they worked the numbers where one of the headlights was charged at the reman-aftermarket pricing and the other was charged at their new parts discounting. Because they had special discounts with the local Acura dealership, they were able to spread the cost across both items to purchase both headlights new OE.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
The rear ender was dealt with the at fault's insurance being a subsidiary of Liberty Mutual. The deer strike was through our insurance being State Farm. Both companies said they will not do OE parts if there are aftermarket or junk yard parts available. This is why the trusted body shop I do business with is so valuable.
Personally, haven't been in any kind of an accident for 27 years and have no desire to get cozy with a body shop. lol

I do, however, see your point and will now go and acquire a lucky rabbit's foot, a four leaf clover, horseshoe, wishbone, will knock on wood, keep my fingers crossed, find a magic lamp that I can make 3 wishes on, and anything else I can think of to keep me lucky. I am Irish as well.
      02-04-2018, 03:27 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Personally, haven't been in any kind of an accident for 27 years and have no desire to get cozy with a body shop. lol

I do, however, see your point and will now go and acquire a lucky rabbit's foot, a four leaf clover, horseshoe, wishbone, will knock on wood, keep my fingers crossed, find a magic lamp that I can make 3 wishes on, and anything else I can think of to keep me lucky. I am Irish as well.
LOL.

Well, I got cozy with this trusted body shop because of an unfortunate incident caused by a friend with my Ducati. He didn't drop the bike but I trusted him in applying that clear paint protection film. The film didn't come out all that nice and to add further to the pain, he used a razor blade to cut the film on the bike. I questioned him when he did this and he said to trust him. Well, that didn't work out all that well. The only way to fix the damage was to have the affected fairing pieces repainted.

That's how I found out about this body shop. It was a recommendation from my Ducati dealer. The head painter is a brother of one of the guys that works at the Ducati dealer. They also do Corvette restorations so I took a chance due to their public reputation. Been satisfied ever since.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43369.00
      02-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL.

Well, I got cozy with this trusted body shop because of an unfortunate incident caused by a friend with my Ducati. He didn't drop the bike but I trusted him in applying that clear paint protection film. The film didn't come out all that nice and to add further to the pain, he used a razor blade to cut the film on the bike. I questioned him when he did this and he said to trust him. Well, that didn't work out all that well. The only way to fix the damage was to have the affected fairing pieces repainted.

That's how I found out about this body shop. It was a recommendation from my Ducati dealer. The head painter is a brother of one of the guys that works at the Ducati dealer. They also do Corvette restorations so I took a chance due to their public reputation. Been satisfied ever since.
Nice you have a place you can count on.
      02-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Nice you have a place you can count on.
Yeah. I got lucky. But I would say if you reach out to local car clubs they can be a good source of recommended shops. Or even showing up at a car show/late night drive/gathering. I bet you'll be hard pressed to find a group more anal than those with classic cars they show. I would say many of these guys have a trusted body shop which has worked on their cars or know through word of mouth through the community.
Appreciate 1
atr_hugo325.00
      02-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #28
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah. I got lucky. But I would say if you reach out to local car clubs they can be a good source of recommended shops. Or even showing up at a car show/late night drive/gathering. I bet you'll be hard pressed to find a group more anal than those with classic cars they show. I would say many of these guys have a trusted body shop which has worked on their cars or know through word of mouth through the community.
Thanks... sounds like good sources.

I'll look into and inquire about a good body shop when I need one which hopefully'll be never.

I'm wishing the luck of the Irish will continue to watch over my car and protect it for as long as I own it.

When my Irish luck can't protect my car, that's when my lucky charms will have to kick in and help.
      02-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #29
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
The last couple of days my car has been giving me the "close gas cap" warning nearly every time I start the car. I've triple-triple checked the gas cap and it's been closed each time. You guys think it's probably related the the accident?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #30
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

It could be related. My mom's old GMC Envoy had a chronic issue with the gas cap throwing a check engine light and it was replaced several times. It finally turned out to be a small crack at the top of the gas tank that was releasing pressure and causing the problem. If there's a crack or damage to your tank, vapor canister, or something else it could be causing the false fuel cap warning
      02-15-2018, 12:40 AM   #31
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
It could be related. My mom's old GMC Envoy had a chronic issue with the gas cap throwing a check engine light and it was replaced several times. It finally turned out to be a small crack at the top of the gas tank that was releasing pressure and causing the problem. If there's a crack or damage to your tank, vapor canister, or something else it could be causing the false fuel cap warning
Hmm well let's hope it's nothing too serious. It's gotten pretty intermittent the last few days but it hasn't gone away completely
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #32
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I HAD an airbag light. It's gone now. A parabolic heater cooked the gremlins alive.

You could rock your car back and forth and see if some gas drips out from the tank, which would be an issue. You could also have a broken fuel vapor filter feed (IDK what it's officially called), since you got hit where that device is located.

PS: Don't get hit twice, in two weeks. Ugh...
      02-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #33
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

It could be the cap seal is bad, or the vent line came loose or has a crack.

Check around with a lighter up there and see!

J/K But the first sentence is true.
      02-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #34
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It could be the cap seal is bad, or the vent line came loose or has a crack.

Check around with a lighter up there and see!

J/K But the first sentence is true.
I'll let the body shop appraisal guys know and maybe they'll be able to find it. I have an appointment there in a couple hours. Hopefully they'll pinpoint it so I don't have to go to BMW after
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #35
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
I'll let the body shop appraisal guys know and maybe they'll be able to find it. I have an appointment there in a couple hours. Hopefully they'll pinpoint it so I don't have to go to BMW after
That's cool! I have an appointment in a couple of hours, too...

Woah!

Progressive gave us a check for $580, which led us to just say "Hey, we're gonna take the car to XYZ shop and have them take care of it," and they said, "Okay, yadda yadda yadda, we'll send you info on a rental car, and we'll see you on day XYZ at time XYZ." And then they cancelled the check, and all was settled. And then I got hit again...
      02-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #36
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's cool! I have an appointment in a couple of hours, too...

Woah!

Progressive gave us a check for $580, which led us to just say "Hey, we're gonna take the car to XYZ shop and have them take care of it," and they said, "Okay, yadda yadda yadda, we'll send you info on a rental car, and we'll see you on day XYZ at time XYZ." And then they cancelled the check, and all was settled. And then I got hit again...
You wont be able to get a rental car at 17, and your parents wont legally be able to let you drive one if they get it. I assume you will drive their car?
      02-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #37
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You wont be able to get a rental car at 17, and your parents wont legally be able to let you drive one if they get it. I assume you will drive their car?
I know. Mom gets tiny little rental car, I get to have fun parking her truck for a week. I could also take dad's GTI...
      02-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #38
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know. Mom gets tiny little rental car, I get to have fun parking her truck for a week. I could also take dad's GTI...
GTI sounds more fun. Original hot hatch, not that you'll be hooning around in your dad's GTI.

Never really been a truck guy, too big for me, but they definitely have their purpose.
      02-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #39
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
GTI sounds more fun. Original hot hatch, not that you'll be hooning around in your dad's GTI.

Never really been a truck guy, too big for me, but they definitely have their purpose.
It's weird, it's engine is smaller (2.7L TT V6) than my car's, but it feels very nearly as quick, but sounds HORRIBLE!
      02-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #40
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Sure prolly 3-5k, but I am guessing there is damage we cant see in the pic, judging by the damage on the VW which looks much worse. Make sure you take it to a good shop, since its the other persons fault, find out how good any BMW dealer body shops are, they are not all good. Insurance will give an initial estimate and when the shop tears it down definitely will be a supplemental for damage unseen.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #41
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Sure prolly 3-5k, but I am guessing there is damage we cant see in the pic, judging by the damage on the VW which looks much worse. Make sure you take it to a good shop, since its the other persons fault, find out how good any BMW dealer body shops are, they are not all good. Insurance will give an initial estimate and when the shop tears it down definitely will be a supplemental for damage unseen.
I took it to the shop BMW referred me to and the estimate they came up with without actually taking anything off was in that ballpark. The guilty parties insurance still hasn't contacted me at all other than sending me a letter with a claim number. Am I free to set up an appointment and begin the repairs or am I obligated to wait for them to send their own adjuster and come up with an estimate first?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #42
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
I took it to the shop BMW referred me to and the estimate they came up with without actually taking anything off was in that ballpark. The guilty parties insurance still hasn't contacted me at all other than sending me a letter with a claim number. Am I free to set up an appointment and begin the repairs or am I obligated to wait for them to send their own adjuster and come up with an estimate first?
Story from my second rear-ending:

The other party's insurance company won't accept liability until they get a full "confession" from their customer, and then investigate the matter themselves. So I'm gonna speed the process along and contact the other party directly tomorrow and let them know that their company is needing a statement from them. I also emailed the adjuster photos of both cars, and some notes about the accident (not all collisions are crashes, some are just accidents), and called her with my statement on the whole shebang. My car is sitting at the shop now, because it drives weirdly, in an uncomfortable sort of way. I think the impact loosened something that has since backed off, hence it's at a shop, and we have a (hideous, no-good, terrible, horrible!) Camry rental in the driveway.
      02-17-2018, 09:17 PM   #43
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep

In my wife's last rear ender, my insurance said to fix it and they will go after the other guy's insurance. No charge to us. And they did. State Farm.
      02-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #44
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Story from my second rear-ending:

The other party's insurance company won't accept liability until they get a full "confession" from their customer, and then investigate the matter themselves. So I'm gonna speed the process along and contact the other party directly tomorrow and let them know that their company is needing a statement from them. I also emailed the adjuster photos of both cars, and some notes about the accident (not all collisions are crashes, some are just accidents), and called her with my statement on the whole shebang. My car is sitting at the shop now, because it drives weirdly, in an uncomfortable sort of way. I think the impact loosened something that has since backed off, hence it's at a shop, and we have a (hideous, no-good, terrible, horrible!) Camry rental in the driveway.
Quote:
In my wife's last rear ender, my insurance said to fix it and they will go after the other guy's insurance. No charge to us. And they did. State Farm.
Exactly. If your story is sound, stop screwing around and have your insurance company do what you've paid them to do. Have your insurance company fix the car and they'll go after the other insurance company. Calling the at fault party and asking them to do the right thing is useless. I wouldn't have any interactions with the at fault party directly. If they were going to do the right thing, they would have already contacted their insurance company.
Appreciate 2