BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2018, 12:11 PM   #45
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Story from my second rear-ending:

The other party's insurance company won't accept liability until they get a full "confession" from their customer, and then investigate the matter themselves. So I'm gonna speed the process along and contact the other party directly tomorrow and let them know that their company is needing a statement from them. I also emailed the adjuster photos of both cars, and some notes about the accident (not all collisions are crashes, some are just accidents), and called her with my statement on the whole shebang. My car is sitting at the shop now, because it drives weirdly, in an uncomfortable sort of way. I think the impact loosened something that has since backed off, hence it's at a shop, and we have a (hideous, no-good, terrible, horrible!) Camry rental in the driveway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
In my wife's last rear ender, my insurance said to fix it and they will go after the other guy's insurance. No charge to us. And they did. State Farm.
Exactly. If your story is sound, stop screwing around and have your insurance company do what you've paid them to do. Have your insurance company fix the car and they'll go after the other insurance company. Calling the at fault party and asking them to do the right thing is useless. I wouldn't have any interactions with the at fault party directly. If they were going to do the right thing, they would have already contacted their insurance company.
The thing is I'm not going through my insurance, I'm going through the guilty parties insurance because I don't want to pay my deductible or have my rates go up
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #46
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
The thing is I'm not going through my insurance, I'm going through the guilty parties insurance because I don't want to pay my deductible or have my rates go up
If the other party is found at-fault, your rates shouldn't go up (that's my understanding). You may also receive a full/partial refund on that deductible. They will be found at-fault, they rear-ended you.

In VA, a rear-ender is almost always automatically the guy who rear-ended you at-fault.
      02-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #47
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
If the other party is found at-fault, your rates shouldn't go up (that's my understanding). You may also receive a full/partial refund on that deductible. They will be found at-fault, they rear-ended you.

In VA, a rear-ender is almost always automatically the guy who rear-ended you at-fault.
Correct. Even in a no fault accident, you will be very unlikely to have a rate increase.
      02-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #48
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Based on a similar experience I had, if your insurance co and/or agent are any good, they will have things taken care of before they are finished with your car. Worst case it takes a few months to get deductible back, but that can be a problem depending on cash flow.

9ch
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #49
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
UPDATE: okay so I've now gotten two estimates and a check is on its way to me right now. First body shop estimated 4k. The at fault drivers insurance estimated 2.9k and wrote me a check for that amount. Neither body shop removed or dismantled anything. Here's the thing- I can get a carbon fiber trunk lid, carbon fiber diffuser, and a painted bumper for less than half of that amount. However the only thing I'm worried about is the SES light that's been coming on more and more recently since the accident. It's only started occurring a day or two after the accident so I know it's related. I believe it's due to the vapor/charcoal canister getting damaged in the impact since the majority of the damage is on passenger side rear. In your guys' experience, how much can I expect to have to pay to fix that? Will the cost be high enough that it'd make more sense to have the body shop fix everything through insurance or will the cost be low enough that I can get the upgraded body parts and fix the evap problem and still have a good chunk of change left over?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #50
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
UPDATE: okay so I've now gotten two estimates and a check is on its way to me right now. First body shop estimated 4k. The at fault drivers insurance estimated 2.9k and wrote me a check for that amount. Neither body shop removed or dismantled anything. Here's the thing- I can get a carbon fiber trunk lid, carbon fiber diffuser, and a painted bumper for less than half of that amount. However the only thing I'm worried about is the SES light that's been coming on more and more recently since the accident. It's only started occurring a day or two after the accident so I know it's related. I believe it's due to the vapor/charcoal canister getting damaged in the impact since the majority of the damage is on passenger side rear. In your guys' experience, how much can I expect to have to pay to fix that? Will the cost be high enough that it'd make more sense to have the body shop fix everything through insurance or will the cost be low enough that I can get the upgraded body parts and fix the evap problem and still have a good chunk of change left over?
The replacement looks really easy, according to newtis.info. The two main parts cumulate to around $300. Here's the RealOEM diagram (at least for the 128i): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0619

You also need to make sure that none of the unibody or subframe was damaged, as that is not DIY-able, and only a qualified body shop can do that stuff.

Good luck!
      02-28-2018, 08:38 PM   #51
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The replacement looks really easy, according to newtis.info. The two main parts cumulate to around $300. Here's the RealOEM diagram (at least for the 128i): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0619

You also need to make sure that none of the unibody or subframe was damaged, as that is not DIY-able, and only a qualified body shop can do that stuff.

Good luck!
Is there any way to tell if either of those are damaged without taking it to a shop? I'm not having any drivability issues or strange pulls to any side and all the body panels seem properly aligned with no strange gaps or closures.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:41 PM   #52
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Is there any way to tell if either of those are damaged without taking it to a shop? I'm not having any drivability issues or strange pulls to any side and all the body panels seem properly aligned with no strange gaps or closures.
You could pull up the right side of the trunk liner to expose the metal underneath (probably covered in foam). It's one of those dumb plastic rivet things, and then you fold the rear seat down, and pull it out from behind the side padding in the rear. You should be able to tell if there's damage, but it sounds like there isn't, so I wouldn't worry about. I'd really worry if it were pulling strangely, or things were severely misaligned.
      02-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #53
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Unless it is something really obvious, you really need to take the bumper off and go from there. In honesty, I really would have the car checked out by a good body shop, to be sure you aren't driving around with a car that will have the crash worthiness of a soda can. Also, you will find that the "carbon fiber" trunk will never fit properly, and will look like donkey balls in a year, so I'd skip that.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #54
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Dont cash that check, all kinds of insurance tricks and fine print, once you cash the check you recieved then you accept that as a complete settlement. You should of really let your insurance company handle everything.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #55
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Dont cash that check, all kinds of insurance tricks and fine print, once you cash the check you recieved then you accept that as a complete settlement. You should of really let your insurance company handle everything.

Quote:
Oh no, I really made sure I knew what I was doing. I made sure that there was a supplemental payment clause for any further damage discovered during the repair process. If there is more damage than what the estimate said the at fault drivers insurance is obligated to issue further payment for those damages.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #56
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Quote:
Unless it is something really obvious, you really need to take the bumper off and go from there. In honesty, I really would have the car checked out by a good body shop, to be sure you aren't driving around with a car that will have the crash worthiness of a soda can. Also, you will find that the "carbon fiber" trunk will never fit properly, and will look like donkey balls in a year, so I'd skip that.
Oh well I'm that case I won't even bother. I'll just have the shop do everything
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #57
elitesales305
shmo
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda

./.........

Quote:
let me find out ur staging accidents brah???
no , for real.. how can I go about this hahahahah j/k
ahhhh so fucking sweet.. I know it sucks to get hit.. but when u get a bunch of bits for the car and some severance $$
      04-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #58
Brews
Canada
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E82

Just wondering - how did that work out for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #59
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews View Post
Just wondering - how did that work out for you?
Ended up just having my shop of choice take care of it through insurance. They did an amazing job
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #60
Brews
Canada
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E82

I'm jealous. It looks gorgeous
Appreciate 0