BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #1
Racer-Ex
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Angry "Creative" control arm installation

When the time came to put the aluminum M3 control arms on my 128, I asked around for a reputable, BMW-savvy shop. Got the car back, it drove fine. It didn't stay that way.

Got the car up in the air, and this is what I found:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbfozp4ekz...2012.23.18.jpg

Yes, that's a nut on the upper left. It looks like maybe they stripped the threads out of the spindle when attaching the control arm, so cut the back off the threaded metal cup and went with a bolt and nut to hold the arm to the spindle.

Is it just me, or is this not a really great idea?
__________________
2013 128i M-Sport/6-sp/M3 arms (The Black Jet)
2020 Chevy Bolt (Sparky)

Last edited by Racer-Ex; 07-12-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Suprgnat
To brake is to admit defeat.
Suprgnat's Avatar
United_States
1290
Rep
1,985
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-Ex View Post
When the time came to put the aluminum M3 control arms on my 128, I asked around for a reputable, BMW-savvy shop. Got the car back, it drove fine. It didn't stay that way.

Got the car up in the air, and this is what I found:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbfozp4ekz...2012.23.18.jpg

Yes, that's a nut on the upper left. It looks like maybe they stripped the threads out of the spindle when attaching the control arm, so cut the back off the threaded metal cup and went with a bolt and nut to hold the arm to the spindle.

Is it just me, or is this not a really great idea?
It's easy to gall those threads. I did it myself and eventually replaced the spindle when I could no longer maintain torque on the bolt. (I had managed to back the bolt out when it jammed, but the threads were pretty bunged up even with re-tapping).

Straight up: the shop owes you a replacement spindle. They F'ed it up.

If they replace it with used (they're not going to want to pop for a new spindle $$$), make sure the bearing is good and that the spindle is from a 128i and not a 3-series. Also make sure it has no stripped threads.
__________________
Inertia is the enemy!
My car's photo history: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1570551
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
2672
Rep
7,262
Posts

Drives: E82 Mutt
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (22)

Fun.

Yeah have them replace it. Also. Reuse your current bearing, keep the one that comes with the spindle as a spare.
__________________
2010 135i 6MT Jet Black
N54/3 Converted ///Mutt | BUILD THREAD | GARAGE SALE
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
Suprgnat
To brake is to admit defeat.
Suprgnat's Avatar
United_States
1290
Rep
1,985
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Fun.

Yeah have them replace it. Also. Reuse your current bearing, keep the one that comes with the spindle as a spare.
He's using spindle and knuckle interchangeably. The knuckle (spindle) is toast because the shop stripped the M12 bolt hole for mounting the wishbone. Rear bearings are not reusable, but the knuckle is trash anyway. A junk yard take-off is the best bet. If the bearing is no good, it's $63 for a genuine replacement. If the replacement knuckle is from a 3-series, the another $88 for a hub flange.

Or maybe I misinterpreted your response.
__________________
Inertia is the enemy!
My car's photo history: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1570551
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
2672
Rep
7,262
Posts

Drives: E82 Mutt
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
He's using spindle and knuckle interchangeably. The knuckle (spindle) is toast because the shop stripped the M12 bolt hole for mounting the wishbone. Rear bearings are not reusable, but the knuckle is trash anyway. A junk yard take-off is the best bet. If the bearing is no good, it's $63 for a genuine replacement. If the replacement knuckle is from a 3-series, the another $88 for a hub flange.

Or maybe I misinterpreted your response.
Lol yes I wasn't paying attention and assumed we were talking about the front end.

Yeah. This reading comprehension thing...
__________________
2010 135i 6MT Jet Black
N54/3 Converted ///Mutt | BUILD THREAD | GARAGE SALE
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST