BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #45
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Saace7. Your dyno stands out to me more for it's torque number than its Hp number. I've always heard Mustangs read that way on Hp, never heard what they do on torque.

What you really need to compare is get a prior generation M3 V8's numbers on that same dyno. We know the factory readings on that car are correct, so then you have a baseline to compare against.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #46
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: OneThreeFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
Saace7. Your dyno stands out to me more for it's torque number than its Hp number. I've always heard Mustangs read that way on Hp, never heard what they do on torque.

What you really need to compare is get a prior generation M3 V8's numbers on that same dyno. We know the factory readings on that car are correct, so then you have a baseline to compare against.

Thanks I'll see what I can do.
e90 m3? stock?

Last edited by saace7; 04-16-2015 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #47
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom
Map 5 all the way. Its smoother for sure with the flash, but TBH it was pretty smooth with just the JB4 on map 5.

Maybe you need plugs or coils or something? Once I left my JB4 only on map 5 for a day or 2 it would stay pretty smooth until I changed it. I'd wonder if there is a reason its dropping boost like that. Mine was MEGA boost all the time with just the JB4.

What octane? 93 octane for me so that is also a factor.
Just 91 octane. It definitely is faster at first and starts to slow down the longer I don't switch. Russel said it was supposed to do that but I kind of bugs me still
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #48
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7 View Post
You don't have stock turbo's silly goose! But for the hell of it why not? Show me what you got!
Was just having some fun In all seriousness, you can absolutely make 400WHP w/ stock frames on pump gas. It's trending towards the aggressive side and IMO, you should find more octane at those types of boost levels. But "is it doable?" For sure.

I have a 20PSI pump gas dyno around here somewhere, it's nothing heroic, think about 510WHP with pretty lazy spool since we hadn't done any VANOS tuning at the time. I'll post it up.

But right now, everyone posting here is making more power than my car. It's a paperweight - keeps frying the widebands so it hasn't moved in a few weeks

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:17 AM   #49
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
I'm a little confused or are you guys just bs'n? My torque is there but my HP is lacking.
I just got my car pro-tuned by COBB in plano (BTW awesome people ). But I don't understand why my numbers aren't as high. They have an AWD mustang dyno. They claimed their dyno read low and was a "heart-breaker".

I have all new plugs and coils, I don't have any codes, car runs smooth as butter, new stock turbos, good fluids, transmission shifts with no hiccups, I'm on top of maintenance at 82k miles.

6AT, 18inch rims, 3400lbs with out a driver.

Mod list: (Engine)

COBB AP pro-tuned
BMS DCI
Stett CP and dual forge DV
COBB FMIC
VRSF 3" catless DP
borla exhaust (I'm literally 2 straight pipes from each turbo back all the way to a single muffler right at the end, then dual tips, no resonators, 2.25'' piping).

I have a baseline map which was the stage 2+ compared to the 93 pro-tune if you guys want to see that too.

This is my 93 tune (dotted) and a 104 tune (solid). It read whp, wtq, and boost.

Does my lack of back pressure in my exhaust hinder my top end?

Can anyone see anything in the dyno sheet and with my mod list that might add up? Do you think the tune is conservative for our baby turbo's? Looking for some opinions! Thanks.
You got tuned by Calvin, right?

I had my STI tuned by him. He's VERY conservative. Not to say you wasted your money, but you wasted your money.

He's used to tuning Subaru's, which are known to self destruct when you start the car. I feel, because he's used to tuning engines made of glass, he has no interest in tuning a car even moderately aggressive. They have been at the hand of blown engines, so its a huge liability for them and they don't want a bad rep, obviously.

You should really contact Wedge or PTF if you want a better tune, IMO. Cobb is not recognized as a tuner who tunes 'fast cars'. Never saw a Cobb tuned car break a record in my time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #50
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post

I had my STI tuned by him. He's VERY conservative. Not to say you wasted your money, but you wasted your money.

He's used to tuning Subaru's, which are known to self destruct when you start the car. I feel, because he's used to tuning engines made of glass, he has no interest in tuning a car even moderately aggressive. They have been at the hand of blown engines, so its a huge liability for them and they don't want a bad rep, obviously.

You should really contact Wedge or PTF if you want a better tune, IMO. Cobb is not recognized as a tuner who tunes 'fast cars'. Never saw a Cobb tuned car break a record in my time.
Yep, Calvin did it. After finding multiple sources about the difference between mustang and dynojets, I believe if I got on a dyno jet I'd make right around 390-400whp. Which what everyone else is making on 93. If I did the same for my 104 I'd have around ~430whp. Which again is pretty close to a pure 85 tune. I'm going to spend a few extra bucks just for the hell of it and find a dyno jet and make a few pulls for a comparison. Also, as much as i would love 450whp on pump with stock turbos, I'm not looking to blow up my motor getting every pinch of power I can on already sub par turbo's. So I wouldn't say I wasted my money, everything about my pro tune is better than the OTS map. Once my wave Trac is installed I'm hoping to get 11.9 on race gas. Ran 12.3 on OTS map with an open diff and 93. That is my goal with this car until founds allow for a big turbo swap and transmission build to make that 500whp club!

Another thing I realized, at COBB they have a wall of fastest dyno numbers. Well a 335i with RB turbo's made 394 on 93. Well if u put that on a dyno jet it's about 440-450whp. Which is what everyone else is making as far as most power most efficiently. If I have to sacrifice 10hp to insure consistent, reliable power, I'm ok with that.

But I'll give those other two a look and see what they are about. Are they flash tunes or piggybacks? I don't want a piggyback on my car.

Last edited by saace7; 04-17-2015 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #51
EVL1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Project 1k 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saace7
Quote:

Yep, Calvin did it. After finding multiple sources about the difference between mustang and dynojets, I believe if I got on a dyno jet I'd make right around 390-400whp. Which what everyone else is making on 93. If I did the same for my 104 I'd have around ~430whp. Which again is pretty close to a pure 85 tune. I'm going to spend a few extra bucks just for the hell of it and find a dyno jet and make a few pulls for a comparison. Also, as much as i would love 450whp on pump with stock turbos, I'm not looking to blow up my motor getting every pinch of power I can on already sub par turbo's. So I wouldn't say I wasted my money, everything about my pro tune is better than the OTS map. Once my wave Trac is installed I'm hoping to get 11.9 on race gas. Ran 12.3 on OTS map with an open diff and 93. That is my goal with this car until founds allow for a big turbo swap and transmission build to make that 500whp club!

Another thing I realized, at COBB they have a wall of fastest dyno numbers. Well a 335i with RB turbo's made 394 on 93. Well if u put that on a dyno jet it's about 440-450whp. Which is what everyone else is making as far as most power most efficiently. If I have to sacrifice 10hp to insure consistent, reliable power, I'm ok with that.

But I'll give those other two a look and see what they are about. Are they flash tunes or piggybacks? I don't want a piggyback on my car.
You wouldn't be blowing up your engine at the 450 mark. There's a couple N54s with stock internals around me running 600whp and a few RB turbo ones running 500+ hp on stock internals aswell. I'm personally dailying my car at 445whp on my e85 mix tune with no problem. Soon to be more since my new turbos just shipped out today

But with your tune and mods. You should see faster than 11.9. Just going to the track, a few have put down numbers as fast as 11.4 on the 1/4 on FBO and a custom tune. Sticky tires is what you need
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #52
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Snow View Post
You wouldn't be blowing up your engine at the 450 mark. There's a couple N54s with stock internals around me running 600whp and a few RB turbo ones running 500+ hp on stock internals aswell. I'm personally dailying my car at 445whp on my e85 mix tune with no problem. Soon to be more since my new turbos just shipped out today

But with your tune and mods. You should see faster than 11.9. Just going to the track, a few have put down numbers as fast as 11.4 on the 1/4 on FBO and a custom tune. Sticky tires is what you need
Maybe I worded that wrong. As I've seen our stock internal engine hold 700hp. But to get higher boost levels I need better fuel which I only have access to 93 pump and 104 race gas. No e85 here and I'd rather not run meth. I'd run 100% e85 if I could. But with out the higher Oct our stock turbos will only produce so much power efficiently. My goal is a 11 second car and honestly, that's all the power I'll need as a DD. Also, I'm still on run flats. I'll have Michelin Pss hopefully by Nov b4 the next IFO.

Also those people with RB making over 500whp are not on pump. They either run meth or e85 or both to get those numbers.

Last edited by saace7; 04-17-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #53
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Also important to remember that the peak power figure isn't the only factor in what you can make "safely". 450WHP from stock frame turbos is going to require a lot of boost, and a lot of advance. Your margins get thin, backpressure is almost certainly at an unacceptable ratio, and EGTs are likely in suit.

Tuning the motor safely is about a lot more than WHP. Compressor maps matter.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 10:39 AM   #54
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Also important to remember that the peak power figure isn't the only factor in what you can make "safely". 450WHP from stock frame turbos is going to require a lot of boost, and a lot of advance. Your margins get thin, backpressure is almost certainly at an unacceptable ratio, and EGTs are likely in suit.

Tuning the motor safely is about a lot more than WHP. Compressor maps matter.
This is where I believe COBB shines. Calvin and I had a long conversation about this and he really knows his stuff and I have all the faith in his tune. He insured I got as much power as the car will efficiently make. I don't have to worry about codes and after a drag session my car is more than ok to drive the hour back home. First time I drove it after the pro tune, the car felt like BMW designed the car like this from the factory. Everything was smoother and better. Smooth power, throttle response feels similar to a N/A and pulls all the way to about ~6300.

Last edited by saace7; 04-17-2015 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #55
n54door
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is where I believe COBB shines. Calvin and I had a long conversation about this and he really knows his stuff and I have all the faith in his tune. He insured I got as much power as the car will efficiently make. I don't have to worry about codes and after a drag session my car is more than ok to drive the hour back home. First time I drove it after the pro tune, the car felt like BMW designed the car like this from the factory. Everything was smoother and better. Smooth power, throttle response feels similar to a N/A and pulls all the way to about ~6300.
I'm in Plano as well. We should run them sometime. I'm using MHD's stg2 map flash (mhd is like Cobb flasher, but for android phones and a third of the price). I don't do piggybacks either, not anymore anyway.

Calvin is a knowledgeable dude, but he's a little shy on his tunes. Granted, he may have only left only 10-15 on the table, but with this platform people don't blow motors so I'd rather have a slightly more aggressive tune.

The only one I've heard of blowing had their knock sensor turned off, which was a terrible idea to say the least. Post a log when you get a chance, I'd love to see it!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #56
saace7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Plano as well. We should run them sometime. I'm using MHD's stg2 map flash (mhd is like Cobb flasher, but for android phones and a third of the price). I don't do piggybacks either, not anymore anyway.

Calvin is a knowledgeable dude, but he's a little shy on his tunes. Granted, he may have only left only 10-15 on the table, but with this platform people don't blow motors so I'd rather have a slightly more aggressive tune.

The only one I've heard of blowing had their knock sensor turned off, which was a terrible idea to say the least. Post a log when you get a chance, I'd love to see it!
I'd love to but I'm actually from southeast LA. I hauled the car on a trailer 8 hours to their shop. (Yah yah, I know I am crazy, I've heard. lol)

It's been raining on and off the last week so as soon as the sun shine's a little I'll go log a pull.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #57
n54door
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to but I'm actually from southeast LA. I hauled the car on a trailer 8 hours to their shop. (Yah yah, I know I am crazy, I've heard. lol)

It's been raining on and off the last week so as soon as the sun shine's a little I'll go log a pull.
lol, the things we do for our cars. No worries, glad it all worked out. Looking forward to the log!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #58
BMW135pls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bucket of screws and sadness

Quote:
Maybe I worded that wrong. As I've seen our stock internal engine hold 700hp. But to get higher boost levels I need better fuel which I only have access to 93 pump and 104 race gas. No e85 here and I'd rather not run meth. I'd run 100% e85 if I could. But with out the higher Oct our stock turbos will only produce so much power efficiently. My goal is a 11 second car and honestly, that's all the power I'll need as a DD. Also, I'm still on run flats. I'll have Michelin Pss hopefully by Nov b4 the next IFO.

Also those people with RB making over 500whp are not on pump. They either run meth or e85 or both to get those numbers.
Yeah ditch the runflats as priority one, all other priorities rescinded. Once I did I realized the car was by comparison barely drivable on runflats. Not sure I would even trust dyno charts on tires that were designed for the opposite of performance (do tires matter on a dyno?) I don't even know, but something tells me the lack of give and momentary traction on RFTs may even affect torque or HP readings on a dyno