BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

04-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #45
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

so how can we confirm this myth about the data logging ECU on Mar 1+ 1ners? Mythbusters possibly? If this is true, looks like Dinan is the way to go since mine was built after then to get the beige interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #46
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
Man just when i thought I was done now this. I may have to try this out when it comes out. Hell I know I will try this when it comes out.

Just buy a second one for MWF driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #47
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Just buy a second one for MWF driving.
There is an idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #48
1er Trojan
tEh uBeR BiMMeR
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
wonderful, thanks for the off-topic comment. FYI... I had a sstt for 3 weeks while I was waiting for my procede to arrive and got a limp mode with that. Enjoy!
you are approaching fanboy troll status....take a chill pill, Bill.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #49
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdh821 View Post
so how can we confirm this myth about the data logging ECU on Mar 1+ 1ners? Mythbusters possibly? If this is true, looks like Dinan is the way to go since mine was built after then to get the beige interior.
and also would march 1 be the day the build begins or is complete?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #50
Bravo1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Accord

Just as a fair warning, please be careful with these power mods. If you have more than one car and don't mind the potential problems / downtime then I am sure it would be fun to have.

Personally if and when I decide to get a 135 or 335, the first thing I would put in would be a LSD. Chances of having warranty related issues with that is going to be alot lower, plus it allows you to actually put the power you already have down.

I am not sure what has happened on the E92 boards with Vishnu, but either people treated him like a God or they had problems. Which one is valid is up to you to research and determine...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:01 PM   #51
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I may not be that easy to add an LSD. Just an FYI.
And, who know's, maybe the e-diff actually works?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #52
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
For Helix you listed an awkward way of switching maps. I thought you flip a switch and voila map-o is switched-o?
I mean getting new maps added to your piggyback. They send you a new one, and you mail the old one back.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #53
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Expect to spend a good 3.5k get get an LSD in this car, perhaps more. I've heard numbers upwards of 5.5 on the E90 boards.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #54
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Off topic... but... :biggrin:
e-diff works a lot better than I thought it would. Got autocross in 10 days, to find out for sure though. I know the bugger will power thru sweepers, where the e9x would toast the inside rear tire, with all nannies off.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #55
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
wonderful, thanks for the off-topic comment. FYI... I had a sstt for 3 weeks while I was waiting for my procede to arrive and got a limp mode with that. Enjoy!
And I am positive you had a load of other mods on your car too.

Procede has good numbers, but the most complaints period.

You can spin it all you want.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #56
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
one dyno doesn't prove it's the best non warranty. but it does prove it kicks dinans butt.
Dinan software does have its pluses for sure.

- Warranty
- True computer reflash through OBD-II port
- Doesn't just confuse factory ECU
- Controls boost, fuel, timing, cooling system
- Doesn't have thermal problems of other tunes

I would bet a lot of money some of haters would stop if it didn't cost $2k. Dinan software is the real deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #57
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickone View Post

- Warranty

I would bet a lot of money some of haters would stop if it didn't cost $2k. Dinan software is the real deal.
In addition to those, v3 will also uses boost logic based on TPS and IAT, along with mod specific maps. It will proactively use that data to prevent knock, and dial back boost in the event of increasing temperatures, in additon to offer superior boost control than either the stock ECU OR Dinan at part throttle. It also is programmed to on the fly adjust timing based on a combination of boost, AIT, and RPM, and will make these changes proactively rather than reactively like the stock DME. What's more, they haven't pushed the unit quite as far as it will go in terms of possible features the unit could allow. There's talk of launch control, and they'd only have to intercept a couple more wires to make it work. I'm pretty sure they have enough I/Os left to do that.

Dinan is nice for the warranty, but I don't see anything else you listed as a real advantage. True reflash through OBD2 port means that you can't sell the tune when you sell the car. Piggybacks my work by "confusing" the ECU, if one chooses to put it so simply, but how is that a disadvantage? Adding a piggyback doesn't take away any of the functionality the ECU already has, if it's programmed right. Instead, it adds many, many more options in terms of tunability, versatility, and additional capabilities. Also, I really haven't heard of anyone having any more or any less cooling problems because of a tune. The Dinan tune increasing water pump duty cycle is a nice touch. Basically, they add a low-temp thermostat for you, but given that most of the N54 cooling issues have been related to oil rather than coolant temperature, I'm not sure how big of a difference it will make.

I don't mean to sound argumentative. Dinan is a very nice tune. However, the only real advantage it has over the high-end microchip piggybacks is that Dinan will warranty it. The disadvantage to this is if you use any non Dinan aftermarket parts, your warranty is shot.

In other words, when my car gets here, I can slap on my RR catless DPs, along with an FMIC and Procede, and end up with 400rwhp that's proven to be quite reliable. That's M5 or C6 fast, and it can be had for $4k with installation. That's about the price of a Dinan flash, and oil cooler minus laybor, that will net you about 80hp less at the wheels. My guess is, a Dinan package with that sort of power (what they'd call 460hp) would cost more than $10,000. I'd figure $2500 for flash, $2000 oil cooler, $2500 for intercooler, $1300 for axleback, $2000 for downpipes. They might even require more nonesense, like a $1000 intake, or sell it as part of a $22,000 package like the S2 335i in this month's Roundel.

You kept your warranty, but the amount of money I saved means that I can replace almost anything that explodes, short of a new shortblock. $6k+ is easily custom built forged internals, assuming the absolute worst.

The only issues I've heard of on any cars are toasted wastegates, which happens stock, and excessive oil temp, which hopefully won't be an issue with the stock secondary oil cooler on the 135.

Mods please feel free to delete this if it's too off topic, but I wanted to put in my two cents (ok, maybe more than two cents) worth on this. There seems to be a common perception that a reflash like Dinan is patently superior just because it's a reflash, when this simply isn't true when you compare it to a good, high tech micro-processor controlled piggyback. Dinan is a great option for someone who wants to pick up an extra 60hp or so and keep their warranty, but it really doesn't offer the richness of features, customizatbility, upgradeability, or potential that Procede or the other high processor power piggybacks with digital I/O do. If one is happy with 320-340whp, and never wants to touch anything again, it works GREAT, but if someone is bitten by the mod bug, a good piggyback like procede is the clear choice.

If I were deciding between a Procede v3 and Dinan Flash as my ONLY mod, I might go with the Dinan flash, because it wouldn't be THAT down on power, you don't need all the features v3 has at that point, and the warranty from Dinan is nice incase you get real unlucky and something goes wrong. However, given I plan on doing a good deal more modding than just a tune, a piggyback with the flexibility of Proced v3 would be a better choice. That way, I'm not limited in terms of who's supporting mods I have to buy. I'm quite sure the RR DPs are superior or equal to whatever Dinan will come up with, and probably 60% cheaper. If I wanted to use them with my Dinan flash, bye bye warranty. For intake work, I often custom build, because it's pretty easy to mold some fiberglass, and use it or PVC for ducting, combined with a high-flow filter. However, if I were to do this with Dinan, bye bye warranty. If I feel like paying less than untold thousands for an exhaust, bye bye warranty. Since I plan on doing reasonably substantial mods, something like Procede just makes much more sense for tuning. You pay the extra money for Dinan for the warranty, but if you plan on doing even a BPU level of modifications, you can kiss that warranty goodbye, or you can kiss 10 grand or more goodbye if you do it the Dinan way.

I want to make it clear that I have nothing against the Dinan tune, or people who buy it. It just isn't the best option for me, and seeing as this is a Procede thread, I don't see the harm in pointing out that a sofisticated and well tuned micro processor controlled piggyback is an excellent option for those that want to go beyond the 'chip only' level of tuning.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #58
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1er Trojan View Post
you are approaching fanboy troll status....take a chill pill, Bill.
Thats the reputation that e90post has. A lot of people in the BMW community dislike e90post, as do vendors because of the troll status of many of their users.

Quote:

- Warranty

Just to make it clear, Dinan does void the factory warranty. Not pointed towards you, but I am sick of people believing this. Dinan will warranty their product for the remainder of your factory warranty. FI if you have 10000 miles on your one year old car, you have a 3 year 30000 mile warranty on your product. Since Dinan products are dealer installed they sometimes may "look the other way" when you come in with an issue, just the same if you are cool with your SA and you walk in with a AA system or procede, or any other. On top of that many dealers sell AA parts, they sell the SSTT and procede, if they sell it to you they will also look the other way. Plus you are not in the system. Now this is the big problem with dinan parts. If you have Dinan SW and you blow your motor, you are in the Database and BMW USA knows you have dinan SW. When the field tech comes to inspect your car, they WILL void your warranty on your car. When you have any other system you can take it right off and they will not know. The Dinan warranty only works for the Dinan part itself, not the actual car. Many people with e46 m3's S/Ced have had this issue. Look it up.
      04-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #59
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Motorsports_3

very good point and there have been people caught in the middle with Dinan saying its not our responsibility and BMW saying it not their issue either, leaving the customer with a "full warranty" high and dry... Now this does not happen often but it has happened.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:42 PM   #60
lamini
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

are you a vendor for Helix?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:47 PM   #61
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

I believe the Helix is sold directly from the tuner http://www.helix13.com/bmw/products/engine-intake

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #62
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
Mods please feel free to delete this if it's too off topic, but I wanted to put in my two cents (ok, maybe more than two cents) worth on this.
I can say that it would be nice if we kept tunes in separate threads, if the topic was about one specific tune. It might save a few problems down the road. Seems as though the regulars are behaving nicely though... Thanks for keeping it all pretty much civil.

E82TT6, if you're affiliated with Helix, it would not too cool to chime in, obviously. I don't think you are though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #63
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
I mean getting new maps added to your piggyback. They send you a new one, and you mail the old one back.
Stock & balls to the wall are the only maps I need.

Though I do understand what you mean, you either have the unit there with you and they change it for you or you swap units with different maps. I do understand that being a pain. The ability to switch maps & the fact that I have not heard one reliability issue with the Attaché has me sold for now. Have them keep you at low boost/stock for your daily grind, and on those sunny days flip the switch and you have a whole new animal.

I will be stopping in their shop hopefully on Thursday. See if I can have someone there post some info up on here or if they want to give me the inside scoop.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #64
imported_tek818
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
And I am positive you had a load of other mods on your car too.

Procede has good numbers, but the most complaints period.

You can spin it all you want.
the only other mod I had on my car at that time was a front aero lip... I am not trying to spin anything, just sharing facts from my EXPERIENCES. And LOL at u ppl thinking I am some kind of fanboy and/or have some kind of stigma because I have an E92 and a member of e90post.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #65
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I can say that it would be nice if we kept tunes in separate threads, if the topic was about one specific tune. It might save a few problems down the road. Seems as though the regulars are behaving nicely though... Thanks for keeping it all pretty much civil.

E82TT6, if you're affiliated with Helix, it would not too cool to chime in, obviously. I don't think you are though.
I am assosciated with them in no way, shape or form. Sorry if I left that impression, or one of fanboism .

I was using Helix as an example in this case because they currently have all the nifty stuff that Vishnu is planning on adding with v3. I'll edit my post to make it more clear. They should both be pretty darn equivalent in terms of functionality when the new firmware/harness for Procede is available.

Maybe we can move all the Dinan vs Piggybacks stuff to a different thread if it's casuing clutter? I thought it wasn't a terrible place to talk about it, given that one can draw some pretty clear contrasts between it and Procede. As in most cases, it's a matter of pros/cons rather than good or bad. Though I will personally go the piggyback route, Dinan would be a better option for many people. I just get the impression that some think it's superior for all purposes, and I don't agree with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 10:39 PM   #66
1er Trojan
tEh uBeR BiMMeR
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
the only other mod I had on my car at that time was a front aero lip... I am not trying to spin anything, just sharing facts from my EXPERIENCES. And LOL at u ppl thinking I am some kind of fanboy and/or have some kind of stigma because I have an E92 and a member of e90post.
Actually, I made my comment due to your attitude throughout this thread...especially on posts like the one I quoted....

Quote:
I couldn't care if you belong to e90post or have a E92....I can only comment on what I read here--and in this case it seems to be that you are deeply passionate about Procede, Vishnu etc. and don't care to accept that other tuners may have superior products or the fact that Procede *may not be perfect*
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread