BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i 6MT

Seibon Carbon Fiber BM-style hood

Hey guys,

I was looking for some information on Seibon's BM-style hood. I wasn't able to find any threads about them. I really want a M3 style hood like this one, but I would like to see if others have one. If so, please help me out by posting pictures and answering a couple questions for me.

How's the fit and finish?
How much did you pay?
Where did you buy it from?
If painted, how much did it cost to paint?

Thanks for any input!

http://seiboncarbon.com/store/produc...l#!prettyPhoto
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I was trying to purchase the SLEK hood but unfortunately they are not being made any longer. So I ended up going with this Seibon BM unit and am very pleased with with!

How's the fit and finish?
Fit was nice but just a bit narrow. I would say another 1/8" on both sides and it would be perfect. Carbon weave is really nice.

How much did you pay? Where did you buy it from?
Purchased form Body-Kitz.com for $958 shipped. It arrived nicely packaged and without damage via box truck. For finish, I have left it raw carbon for now

If painted, how much did it cost to paint?

Still running without paint as I like the contrast with my color. The only downside here is that I think it attracts more kid racers... But my kill list keeps growing! lol

Additional Notes
Only run one OEM hood strut - Or switch to 1M struts
Add hood pins - I tried running without and there was so much shake it was scary... Due to the 135i only using 1 center latch point I think this will be an issue with any light hood...

Overall Experience
A - And would buy their product again.

Couple pix on my car.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Fidiman
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
The first foto is very badass !

Did you notice the difference between OEM hood and the CF one in term of weight ?

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep

Wow. That looks really good! I wouldn't mind just running carbon fiber without paint, but I have no idea how it would look on a cashmere silver 135i. What pins did you buy and where from? How hard were the pins to install? Lastly, did you install the hood yourself? Thanks for the input man. I love your car; it's absolutely beautiful.

edit: what front lip is that and does it match the hood perfectly?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
The first foto is very badass !
Did you notice the difference between OEM hood and the CF one in term of weight ?
Thanks man! There is a pretty good savings in weight. I did not weigh it but I would guess the stocker to weigh about 30-35lbs and the carbon one to weigh in around 15-20lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakelocati View Post
Wow. That looks really good! I wouldn't mind just running carbon fiber without paint, but I have no idea how it would look on a cashmere silver 135i. What pins did you buy and where from? How hard were the pins to install? Lastly, did you install the hood yourself? Thanks for the input man. I love your car; it's absolutely beautiful.
edit: what front lip is that and does it match the hood perfectly?
Blakelocati,
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

Hood Install:
I installed both the hood and pins myself. You will most likely need someone to help lift the old one off and new one on though.

Hood Pins:
http://www.aerocatch.com/
They look and function great. Install was a bit of a !@#$ but it was well worth it. If your not comfortable with cutting on your new hood you might want to have someone install them for you.

Lip:
I used this SLEK knockoff lip.
http://www.jl-motoring.com/PhotoGall...tCode=BMFS8201
My friend went with the SLEK and they are almost identical.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your feedback man. I'm pretty much convinced other than the I'm not sure how leaving it carbon fiber would look on my cashmere 135. And... money. haha
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
trickcruiser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback man. I'm pretty much convinced other than the I'm not sure how leaving it carbon fiber would look on my cashmere 135. And... money. haha
You can always install it without paint and see what you think. Rock that for a few weeks and if your not happy just have it painted then. All of the hardware pulls off your stock hood and goes right back on if you were to switch back and forth. I hope your purchase goes as well as mine!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickcruiser View Post
You can always install it without paint and see what you think. Rock that for a few weeks and if your not happy just have it painted then. All of the hardware pulls off your stock hood and goes right back on if you were to switch back and forth. I hope your purchase goes as well as mine!
Thanks for the input. I was looking for the icarbon hood too, but I can't find it anywhere. I just know if I go for this hood, I will end up painting it... and that's another $300 or more. So many decisions!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
love67
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I have it, looks good, fitment is good, but im worry about the vent that is on top of my BOV, my question is what if it's rain or washing my car, will the water go thu the BOV? I have the Tial bov.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep

please post pictures if you get a chance. As far as the vents go, I would be concerned with that too. I figure it would be easy enough to close the vents though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Henry_ME109
LUFTWAFFE PILOTEN
Rep
Drives: BMW135I

I purchased my hood trough Brian Echelon that sold me my Kerscher front lip.
I have a montego blue 135i and I will be painting my Seibon BM ///M hood to make it
More OEM. he sold me my hood for $850 shipped.
Brian is a great business man and has always come with the best price match in the market.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_ME109 View Post
I purchased my hood trough Brian Echelon that sold me my Kerscher front lip.
I have a montego blue 135i and I will be painting my Seibon BM ///M hood to make it
More OEM. he sold me my hood for $850 shipped.
Brian is a great business man and has always come with the best price match in the market.
That's an awesome price!! How's the fit? How would I get in contact with Brian? Lastly, how much do you think it's going to cost to get painted? Thanks for all the input dudes!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' Lemans Blue 135is

I have the iCarbon hood, supposedly the last M3 style with the front fake vents ever made by them. Good fit, but you HAVE to run the Aerocatch latches. There are two tabs above each headlight that work perfect for mounting.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHegeRm View Post
I have the iCarbon hood, supposedly the last M3 style with the front fake vents ever made by them. Good fit, but you HAVE to run the Aerocatch latches. There are two tabs above each headlight that work perfect for mounting.
I wonder why they stopped making them? So both Slek and iCarbon no longer make these hoods? That sucks. Seems like the Seibon is my only option.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder why they stopped making them? So both Slek and iCarbon no longer make these hoods? That sucks. Seems like the Seibon is my only option.
Yeah, been outta business for about a year now. Got lots of heat here on the forum with people who pre-ordered and waited months. I don't think they could stand all the heat they were taking here from users. Were located in Florida, I heard rumors about someone buying their molds however never saw any more parts after that...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Henry_ME109
LUFTWAFFE PILOTEN
Rep
Drives: BMW135I

I get my hood delivered this Monday Nov.4
I got a ball park estimate for the paint and install professionally for $700 and that is with the aerolatch install that will be CF.
I think leaving the hood CF. Takes away from what a BMW is.. (class)
Not a "too fast too furious boy"

http://www.echelonautosports.com/catalog/
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
blakelocati
thatnew135iguy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHegeRm View Post
Yeah, been outta business for about a year now. Got lots of heat here on the forum with people who pre-ordered and waited months. I don't think they could stand all the heat they were taking here from users. Were located in Florida, I heard rumors about someone buying their molds however never saw any more parts after that...
Wow! I had no idea that happened. How unfortunate for everyone involved in that deal.

Quote:
I got a ball park estimate for the paint and install professionally for $700 and that is with the aerolatch install that will be CF.

$700? That seems crazy for an install and paint. Does it include the pins as well? At over $1500, I'm not sure I think it's worth it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
tHegeRm
Got Turbs?
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Those aero-catches are carbon fiber look, you may not want that. Just a heads up.
Appreciate 0