BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA08 View Post
Suprgnat have you been able to install the AKG selector rod and shifter arm bushings? I would love to get your impressions on them as I'll be doing a shifter refresh soon as well
Soon. Very soon. Probably the weekend of 14 October.

I've been busy fixing up my garage, making it a little more friendly for winter work and restoring the Healey. Better (real) insulation on the garage door, better organized in general, quieter work space, a heater. I'm picking up a new compressor after work. It should be a lot quieter. Also a new, quieter shop vac that will take an exhaust diffusor is coming soon.
      10-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #24
VA08
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT MSport Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Quote:
Suprgnat have you been able to install the AKG selector rod and shifter arm bushings? I would love to get your impressions on them as I'll be doing a shifter refresh soon as well
Soon. Very soon. Probably the weekend of 14 October.

I've been busy fixing up my garage, making it a little more friendly for winter work and restoring the Healey. Better (real) insulation on the garage door, better organized in general, quieter work space, a heater. I'm picking up a new compressor after work. It should be a lot quieter. Also a new, quieter shop vac that will take an exhaust diffusor is coming soon.
Nice! Nothing like a clean, comfortable work space and some new tools. Hope you?re able to get that new shifter and components on soon
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #25
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Nice! Nothing like a clean, comfortable work space and some new tools. Hope you?re able to get that new shifter and components on soon
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...postcount=5815
      01-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
VA08
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for following up with the link, I appreciate you remembering this thread. I still haven't done the shifter refresh, but after a lot of reflection, I'm leaning towards skipping the AKG selector rod (or any dssr for that matter).

After living with it for a while, do you think it's a must?

I did get a set of delrin shifter arm bushings like the ones you installed, and I'm refreshing every single bushing, bearing, link and clip in the shifter assembly, so it'll feel like new or better even without the dssr.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #27
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks for following up with the link, I appreciate you remembering this thread. I still haven't done the shifter refresh, but after a lot of reflection, I'm leaning towards skipping the AKG selector rod (or any dssr for that matter).

I did get a set of delrin shifter arm bushings like the ones you installed, and I'm refreshing every single bushing, bearing, link and clip in the shifter assembly, so it'll feel like new or better even without the dssr.
I would suggest that since you are taking it all apart anyway, consider the DSSR because it will help take away whatever remaining slop is built into the system. I know it seems like a lot to pay for a piece of aluminum, but you're doing most of the work taking it all apart so the labour is already accounted for.

IMO, I did notice a very nice improvement in overall feel and reduction in slop.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #28
VA08
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:

I would suggest that since you are taking it all apart anyway, consider the DSSR because it will help take away whatever remaining slop is built into the system. I know it seems like a lot to pay for a piece of aluminum, but you're doing most of the work taking it all apart so the labour is already accounted for.

IMO, I did notice a very nice improvement in overall feel and reduction in slop.
I'm definitely gonna take your suggestion seriously and re-consider going with it.

Did you have to file down the plastic bit protruding from the gearshift rod joint to make it fit though?

That's another thing that made me hesitant to get it, not sure how that would go.

Thanks again for sharing your insight on this
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #29
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Did you have to file down the plastic bit protruding from the gearshift rod joint to make it fit though?
Both the "Gearshift rod joint" P/N 25117580281 and the the gear shift lever. It is easier to do the filing/removing of material off the car, so I bought a new gearshift rod joint, too (<$20), since I was down there.
VA081.50
      01-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Both the "Gearshift rod joint" P/N 25117580281 and the the gear shift lever. It is easier to do the filing/removing of material off the car, so I bought a new gearshift rod joint, too (<$20), since I was down there.
VA08 exactly the above....much easier to do this with parts off the car, so it makes sense to buy new ones. Did not take much filing at all....so go easy/in small increments.
Appreciate 1
VA081.50
      01-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #31
VA08
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
VA08 exactly the above....much easier to do this with parts off the car, so it makes sense to buy new ones. Did not take much filing at all....so go easy/in small increments.
I'm glad to hear that not much filing is required, I don't like the idea of having to modify the selector rod joint and the lever.

I did get a new selector rod joint, and new everything else in the linkage including a new SSK lever. I'm doing the refresh while replacing my driveshaft so I'll have the best possible access to the shifter area, so I decided to replace everything I could.

That's also why I'm considering the akg dssr, no better time to install it! Appreciate your help
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #32
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that not much filing is required, I don't like the idea of having to modify the selector rod joint and the lever.

I did get a new selector rod joint, and new everything else in the linkage including a new SSK lever. I'm doing the refresh while replacing my driveshaft so I'll have the best possible access to the shifter area, so I decided to replace everything I could.

That's also why I'm considering the akg dssr, no better time to install it! Appreciate your help
Excellent, best of luck! You should be able to "test fit" most of the parts as you're doing a full replacement....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #33
VA08
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Excellent, best of luck! You should be able to "test fit" most of the parts as you're doing a full replacement....
Thanks! I'll post back and let you guys know how it went. Might be a while before I get to it
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #34
B777flyboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i carbon black

Garage List
2013 Bmw 135  [0.00]
Is the SSK only available for the 128 and not the 135?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #35
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B777flyboy View Post
I know there used to be a 135i specific SSK, but I don't know if it's still available. There are non-BMW made alternatives.
      03-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #36
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Suprgnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by B777flyboy View Post
BMW use to offer a Performance SSK but they have stopped producing it.

I suspect a 128i Performance shift lever would give you 90% of the SSK feel shorter throws. But no one has posted that they have installed one.

I have the Perf SSK on my 135i and love it! But I also drive an e39 540i 6speed as my dailey and two years ago I installed the factory shifter from an e60 550i manual... that shifter is pure joy!! Really tighter throws and feels great - except on a cold day for the first few shifts... it can be quite notchy. But I LOVE it over my 135i Perf shifter.

One forum members tjswarbrick was able to install the e60 skifter in his 135i with some bending of the shift lever. It's easy to do if you have some hand tools and a vice.

IF you decide on going with the 128i SSK... please post some pics of your install and your thoughts. It would be helpful to others going down this path.

see post #80...

calling all 6MT SSK guys...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=414760&page=4

Dackel
Appreciate 0