BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #23
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Last night I finally got around to ordering a set of Michelin PS4A performance snow tires on wheels, a square 18" set, for my M2. There is a rebate active now, plus I got a slight reduction on the wheels, and of course everything is cheaper by going down a size and staying square, which is a good idea with snow tires.

I placed my order with the Tire Rack, and on the order comments, put in that I wanted the "newest age DOT tires." Then for good measure, I called in this morning, spoke with a customer service agent, and made sure that the comment about the newest tires available was on the order. The lady said it was all in there and that's what I was going to get.

Just now, 3 hours later (today is a Saturday, also, so I don't think they are actually mounting tires today), I got a phone call from a guy who I am assuming is a more senior person than the lady I spoke with earlier. He said that the way their warehouses are set up, it's first in, first out on all tires orders. He said that there are about 500 of the specific tire in the specific size I ordered in the warehouse (in Nevada) where the tires will be assembled. He said there is no way that they can go through those 500 tires and pick out the 4 newest ones for me, plus they rotate their stock and that would defeat the purpose of doing that. He also said that the tires are stored in a cool and dark warehouse and that they don't deteriorate in that storage, without exposure to the elements and especially to light.

Further, he said that tires are good for 6 years on the vehicle (or less due to mileage and wear), that the clock starts when mounted and put on the car, and that as long as the tires are less than 4 years old when mounted you should still get the 6 years on the car that is considered normal, before dry rot sets in.

I asked him how old were the oldest tires of the type and size that I had ordered sitting in that Nevada warehouse. He said the oldest ones were manufactured at the end of 2016, so my tires could conceivably be as old as about 20 months at this stage. He then said that he wanted to be sure that I was comfortable with that before they proceeded on the order, and if I wasn't, that I should cancel it.

I left the order in place.

I'm not reporting this from the standpoint that I know anything about this subject, and that I necessarily agree or disagree with what I was told, I'm just putting this into the thread for the consideration of those who have read this far, and the experience of a current buyer.
      09-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Last night I finally got around to ordering a set of Michelin PS4A performance snow tires on wheels, a square 18" set, for my M2. There is a rebate active now, plus I got a slight reduction on the wheels, and of course everything is cheaper by going down a size and staying square, which is a good idea with snow tires.

I placed my order with the Tire Rack, and on the order comments, put in that I wanted the "newest age DOT tires." Then for good measure, I called in this morning, spoke with a customer service agent, and made sure that the comment about the newest tires available was on the order. The lady said it was all in there and that's what I was going to get.

Just now, 3 hours later (today is a Saturday, also, so I don't think they are actually mounting tires today), I got a phone call from a guy who I am assuming is a more senior person than the lady I spoke with earlier. He said that the way their warehouses are set up, it's first in, first out on all tires orders. He said that there are about 500 of the specific tire in the specific size I ordered in the warehouse (in Nevada) where the tires will be assembled. He said there is no way that they can go through those 500 tires and pick out the 4 newest ones for me, plus they rotate their stock and that would defeat the purpose of doing that. He also said that the tires are stored in a cool and dark warehouse and that they don't deteriorate in that storage, without exposure to the elements and especially to light.

Further, he said that tires are good for 6 years on the vehicle (or less due to mileage and wear), that the clock starts when mounted and put on the car, and that as long as the tires are less than 4 years old when mounted you should still get the 6 years on the car that is considered normal, before dry rot sets in.

I asked him how old were the oldest tires of the type and size that I had ordered sitting in that Nevada warehouse. He said the oldest ones were manufactured at the end of 2016, so my tires could conceivably be as old as about 20 months at this stage. He then said that he wanted to be sure that I was comfortable with that before they proceeded on the order, and if I wasn't, that I should cancel it.

I'm not reporting this from the standpoint that I know anything about this subject, and that I necessarily agree or disagree with what I was told, I'm just putting this into the thread for the consideration of those who have read this far, and the experience of a current buyer.
That warehouse is most likely the one up near Reno & Sparks Nevada. Low humidity, freezing in winter & hot in summer. If it's one near Vegas then HOT in summer. I used to live in both places.

So is that dark warehouse climate controlled? Doubtful but possible.

20 months old, no concerns. You have 4 years after mounting to wear them out. I'd do it in 2 years but I think I own FAR less cars than you do. (I have 1 one).
      09-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #25
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
That warehouse is most likely the one up near Reno & Sparks Nevada. Low humidity, freezing in winter & hot in summer. If it's one near Vegas then HOT in summer. I used to live in both places.

20 months old, no concerns. You have 4 years after mounting to wear them out. I'd do it in 2 years but I think I own FAR less cars than you do. (I have 1 one).
I would let them go for 6 years, as long as they look good and have respectable tread life left. But then my cars are always garaged, and the garage is heated to 55-ish in the winter, and never gets over maybe 80-85 in the summer, and then only for a few weeks. If the car was stored outside, and in temperature extremes, I would be more conservative.
      09-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #26
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

I would let them go for 6 years, as long as they look good and have respectable tread life left. But then my cars are always garaged, and the garage is heated to 55-ish in the winter, and never gets over maybe 80-85 in the summer, and then only for a few weeks. If the car was stored outside, and in temperature extremes, I would be more conservative.
Agreed.
      09-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #27
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:

Interesting experience. I was told to specify that I wanted the newest DOT's on my order if I didn't want 3 year old tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #28
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
Interesting experience. I was told to specify that I wanted the newest DOT's on my order if I didn't want 3 year old tires.
No way to know what really goes on in those capacious warehouses and assembly buildings. If you were ordering a staggered set of tires in somewhat uncommon sizes, I'd imagine that rather than 500 of a given tire, that maybe they would just have 20. In that case it might be easier to get you what you want. It may also depend upon the supervisor on duty, and even the specific warehouse. They only reason they called me was presumably because I had called in about this. If I had just left it to my notes on the actual order, I doubt they would have called and I wouldn't have had any idea whether or not they were responsive to the request, other than looking at the date codes on the tires, which still wouldn't tell you what other tires they had in the warehouse when they assembled your order . . . .

I have seen tires listed occasionally on the Tirerack website that were discounted and that mentioned in the listing that the tires were new old stock, and when they were manufactured. I even bought a set of such snow tires once, for a car that I didn't intend to keep for more than another year or 2, and I didn't.
      09-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #29
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

I ordered four Scottozero 3s for either the 323Ci or the 128i from tire rack. $56 each after the rebate instead of $165 each. Production is 2015 and they were on closeout.

If I paid full price and got 3 year old rubber for a winter tire that is going on one of my summer cars I would be ticked. But, at $56 each I am psyched.
      09-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #30
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
I ordered four Scottozero 3s for either the 323Ci or the 128i from tire rack. $56 each after the rebate instead of $165 each. Production is 2015 and they were on closeout.

If I paid full price and got 3 year old rubber for a winter tire that is going on one of my summer cars I would be ticked. But, at $56 each I am psyched.
its all perspective. I did pay full pop AND got 3 year old tires. Pissed is an understatement.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #31
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
its all perspective. I did pay full pop AND got 3 year old tires. Pissed is an understatement.
Well my perspective just changed. To say I am not thrilled is an understatement too.
I ordered the tires two weeks ago. Called last week and was told they would be in the Denver warehouse before today. Called today and was told the 21st. Then the salesman called. Nice guy, and up front too. Said Pirelli was fulfilling the order, but there is a set in MN they can ship to my house. They wont ship the MN set to the warehouse I drive past to and from work.

He acknowledged that Pirelli may cancel the set on order for me, and if the set in MN is gone I am shyt out of luck.

So for $40 more than I planned on spending for a car that may not see snow (and I went out and bought a set of rims just for these tires), I will get the winter tires. If they weren't going to come through with the tires I could pick up, why did they offer it? I thought he would split the shipping with me. When I ordered a set of tires from Discount, and then couldn't use them because the motor blew on the car, Discount paid the return shipping. There are five cars in my household. Four use winter and summer tires, one uses summer and R Comps. That $40 will sway future purchases.

For $40 I will think hard before I hit order from Tire Rack again - on principal. Too bad there won't be a rep I can speak to when I am coaching at Street Survival in a few weeks. I know I wont push Tire Rack like I have at the other Street Survivals I volunteered to coach at. I may just wear a yellow shirt without their name embroidered on it.

Last edited by Tommm; 09-17-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #32
Moooshay
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible 6M

Quote:
Well my perspective just changed. To say I am not thrilled is an understatement too.
I ordered the tires two weeks ago. Called last week and was told they would be in the Denver warehouse before today. Called today and was told the 21st. Then the salesman called. Nice guy, and up front too. Said Pirelli was fulfilling the order, but there is a set in MN they can ship to my house. They wont ship the MN set to the warehouse I drive past to and from work.

He acknowledged that Pirelli may cancel the set on order for me, and if the set in MN is gone I am shyt out of luck.

So for $40 more than I planned on spending for a car that may not see snow (and I went out and bought a set of rims just for these tires), I will get the winter tires. If they weren't going to come through with the tires I could pick up, why did they offer it? I thought he would split the shipping with me. When I ordered a set of tires from Discount, and then couldn't use them because the motor blew on the car, Discount paid the return shipping. There are five cars in my household. Four use winter and summer tires, one uses summer and R Comps. That $40 will sway future purchases.

For $40 I will think hard before I hit order from Tire Rack again - on principal. Too bad there won't be a rep I can speak to when I am coaching at Street Survival in a few weeks. I know I wont push Tire Rack like I have at the other Street Survivals I volunteered to coach at. I may just wear a yellow shirt without their name embroidered on it.

And thank you for the volunteer coaching! Took my son to it at 16, and it was quite a perspective change for him and a blast to attend as a parent.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #33
bmwisme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i conv. Sport Pkg.

I've been purchasing tires from TireRack for quite a few years. Last year (07/2017) I purchased a new set of Potenza's that were on clearance (very good price!) - the DOT dates were 04/17 and 05/17. This isn't saying they don't sell old stock from time to time but I've never had issues. My $.02
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #34
VF08822
Hydraulic Steering Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2008 E82 128i

Just checked my Conti ExtremeContact Sports ordered from Tire Rack in December of last year- rear are 23/16, front are 25/17. Not awful, but I would've liked the rears to be a little newer.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:26 PM   #35
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moooshay View Post
And thank you for the volunteer coaching! Took my son to it at 16, and it was quite a perspective change for him and a blast to attend as a parent.
Happy to. My way of paying back the car community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwisme View Post
I've been purchasing tires from TireRack for quite a few years. Last year (07/2017) I purchased a new set of Potenza's that were on clearance (very good price!) - the DOT dates were 04/17 and 05/17. This isn't saying they don't sell old stock from time to time but I've never had issues. My $.02
That's the point of this whole thread. Issues were practically unheard of because they took care of them, etc. Maybe there is new mid management that is putting a few cents profit over long term loyalty. I used both Tire Rack and Discount (because they are down the road from my house). Any potential issue with Discount was taken care of before it could become an issue.

9/20/18 Update - The moderator of the tire site ignored my post on our site and in a thread he posted so I called the company. Stated my case, and they are mailing me a gift certificate. If there are strings attached to the certificate I will post and update.

Last edited by Tommm; 09-20-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0