BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Did I just tear my meniscus?

So I did legs yesterday with my coworker, went pretty hard but I thought I maintained great form throughout, wasn't concerned. Today was my push day. Towards the end of my workout, I was getting ready to do another set on seated tricep dips when all of a sudden something went wrong with my knee. It just started to go numb and feel like it was swelling up. Before I knew it, I couldn't fold my knee (heel towards butt). I walked to the locker room, rested for a bit and it seemed to get back to normal, got mobility again. Right now I'm fine again. I tried jogging in place a bit to see what it feels like, and I feel some kind of light pressure, so I stopped (and I'll be laying off high impact cardio for a while).

Now it's occasionally giving me a weird sensation that I have to try and bend/crack/pop it. I've been doing this with my left knee for years, maybe that one is torn too?

Any input? I'm more scared that I won't be able to play any recreational sports anymore.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #2
///WORK-F36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Glacier silver F36

Seems really strange you could tear something when there was no stress on the joint.... maybe you just pinched a nerve? I'd wear a neoprene sleeve on it, and if it keeps bothering you, go see the doctor. I strained my MCL playing hockey, and put the sleeve on there for a week or so and it was fine
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 05:01 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Bursitis ? http://www.m.webmd.com/pain-manageme...ritis-bursitis

Btw, I had confirmed torn miniscus, even walking could be painful. Took months off to rest. Now, back to running.

Everything will turn out fine.
Had whole history of my knee injuries I was going to jot down here. However almost everyone who plays to the max will experience an issue.
Cross train, rest and avoid over use repetitive.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
So I did legs yesterday with my coworker, went pretty hard but I thought I maintained great form throughout, wasn't concerned. Today was my push day. Towards the end of my workout, I was getting ready to do another set on seated tricep dips when all of a sudden something went wrong with my knee. It just started to go numb and feel like it was swelling up. Before I knew it, I couldn't fold my knee (heel towards butt). I walked to the locker room, rested for a bit and it seemed to get back to normal, got mobility again. Right now I'm fine again. I tried jogging in place a bit to see what it feels like, and I feel some kind of light pressure, so I stopped (and I'll be laying off high impact cardio for a while).

Now it's occasionally giving me a weird sensation that I have to try and bend/crack/pop it. I've been doing this with my left knee for years, maybe that one is torn too?

Any input? I'm more scared that I won't be able to play any recreational sports anymore.
I've torn both of mine. You would definitely know. However, a slight tear could still give you pain. Is it still swollen? I would still go see an ortho. Mine were both bad tears so the pain is very evident. (Thanks soccer!)
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

If u use insurance they won't authorize anything useful (MRI) until after a period of anti-inflamatories so you could save some time by starting RICE and over the counter now.
Appreciate 0