BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #45
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM BWM 135iC

[QUOTE=ceb;7747142][QUOTE=michifan;7746600]....
BMW would be guilty of Tying if they said that the only parts you could put on your car would be BMW Performance. Or by saying that if you put anything other than BMW Performance or BMW Approved parts on your car, you will lose your warranty (which Track Rat had stated earlier)...
Quote:

Actually, that is exactly what says in the warranty document that comes with your car. Page 33 of the manual that comes with the 335's

Federal Law trumps everything and anything that they put in the manual and the warranty. You cannot waive your MMA rights.

Let me be honest about this issue. I've known some very intelligent and wealthy people that have been snowballed by the dealers on this issue. Since leaving the auto industry 10 years ago, I've helped a number of my bosses and their bosses when it comes to working with dealers.

The reality is that most people don't push back. Perfect example is this afternoon. I went to a local BMW mechanic to have them replace my CDV and swap out my manual and diff fluid. I literally was standing next to my car from start to finish and the whole job took an hour and 10 minutes.

When I was presented with the bill, they charged me close to 2 hours of labor. My arrangement with this shop has always been by the hour - so that if things take longer than expected I'm in the hole and vice versa.

I ended up getting it straightened out, but the balls to overcharge with me right in the shop was pretty frustrating.

Moral of the story is that you must know your rights and be vigilant because someone will take advantage of you if you let them.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:26 PM   #46
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
I think michifan is right that BMW can only deny certain warranty repair if the dealer thinks certain mod in your car caused the problem, as simple as that. BMW cannot deny a HPFP failure because I have suspension mod. I think some people here is reading the lines too much.
By God I Think He's Got It!

It's amazing how people can make something so simple, so complicated.

You break it, you bought it.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #47
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Here is the best answer yet, just posted seconds ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
It voids waranty only on parts you removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #48
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Here is the best answer yet, just posted seconds ago:

True Dat.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #49
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Here is BMWNA's official policy as of April 2008.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #50
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport /w PDC and ComAcc

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Yep sounds good.

Oh and by the way...sucks to be an N54 owner. Your car and turbo cars in general will last much shorter.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #51
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
If people had just read and headed post #2 they'd already know the facts... Copy below.

Post #2.

"2. The MM Act in no way states that you can ALTER the vehicle or Mod the vehicle engineered specifications and retain your warranty. This is an issue that many folks have a problem understanding. So OE spec replacement service parts = YES. MODS or ALTERATIONS of the OE engineered specs = Warranty Gone - on the part of the vehicle Modded, such as the powertrain or suspension. The other areas of the warranty remain as long as the Alteration/Mod does not affect that area of the vehicle"

Reality check 101.

The warrantor can only 'void' / not repair the specific components that have been damaged by the modification. They cannot void the whole powertrain or suspension.

There is no such thing as an 'area' of the warranty. The FTC/MMA doesn't allow for this. It has to be a cause-effect relationship.

For example, I have a Dual Intake - this not only puts more air into the car than the original spec, altering the fuel/air mix and because its open, increase air temps into the engine. However, BMW cannot deny my warranty preemptively because I have made such a modification. If I bring my car in for a faulty fuel pump, it's a pretty impossible engineering jump to say that its caused by the increased flow and temperatures at the intake.

Similarly, BMW knows every single Dinan tune in your car. If a Dinan tunes causes a problem, they'll send you to the Dinan shop for repair. They are not, however, sending people to Dinan for fuel pumps, water pumps or catalyst issues (unless you get a Dinan tune that affects these parts).

A warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of unauthorized articles or service.

And Federal Law trumps all State Laws.

Last edited by michifan; 07-31-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #52
GaryS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I waited to see how each of you would interpret BMWNA's language. Their lawyers made it intentionally ambiguous, so if they end up in court and it is used as evidence against them, they can say the definition of "affected components" is "where the modification, alteration or installation of a non approved aftermarket part was responsible for the failure." Because as you can see, they are trying to tie warranty service on the original car to purchase of BMW Performance mods only. The last paragraph might as well say, "Nice little luxury car you've got there. It would be a shame if anything happened to it."
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #53
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I waited to see how each of you would interpret BMWNA's language. Their lawyers made it intentionally ambiguous, so if they end up in court and it is used as evidence against them, they can say the definition of "affected components" is "where the modification, alteration or installation of a non approved aftermarket part was responsible for the failure." Because as you can see, they are trying to tie warranty service on the original car to purchase of BMW Performance mods only. The last paragraph might as well say, "Nice little luxury car you've got there. It would be a shame if anything happened to it."
Their language is ambiguous enough to allow people to be afraid enough to do mods, but really isn't outside of the law. It really doesn't matter what they write in their warranty on this matter because the MMA/FTC reigns over anything they write.

The problem is that this isn't a hypothetical issue and BMW nor any other manufacturer are challenging the current law. I challenge someone to call BMW corporate and ask them point blank, if I make a modification and there is a warranty problem, if that modification has nothing to do with the warranty problem, am I covered. I will bet any amount the answer will be yes. Of course you ask a SA that same question and you'll probably get a 'that depends'

But a little known fact is that SA's are under commission in many/most dealers. They get paid more for non-warranty work than warranty work. They aren't your buddy or friend, they are just trying to make a buck just like the salesman.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #54
Sexual Philanthropist
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Once again, I agree with most of what Michifan is saying but you keep saying that the federal law trumps the written agreement. While that can be true it is not the case in this context. The federal law allows for enforcement of the written agreement. They are not trumping anything except in the tie in provisions and madated servicing provisions. There is no law that says a manufacturer has to provide a warranty at all. It is part of their marketing. This is why you have different manufacturers providing different warranty terms. 5 year bumper to bumper, 7 year powertrain, 10 year corrosion, etc. Emmissions systems are the only required coverage items.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #55
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post
Once again, I agree with most of what Michifan is saying but you keep saying that the federal law trumps the written agreement. While that can be true it is not the case in this context. The federal law allows for enforcement of the written agreement. They are not trumping anything except in the tie in provisions and madated servicing provisions. There is no law that says a manufacturer has to provide a warranty at all. It is part of their marketing. This is why you have different manufacturers providing different warranty terms. 5 year bumper to bumper, 7 year powertrain, 10 year corrosion, etc. Emmissions systems are the only required coverage items.
Like I said earlier, people (customers, techs, service advisers) often confuse terms like "voiding the warranty" and "refusing warranty service."

Here is reality (like it or not)

If a dealership believes that your mod has caused a failure, then they are under an obligation to the manufacturer to refuse warranty repairs on that failure.

If you disagree then you can complain to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will then contact the dealership and get specifics. If the manufacturer sides with the dealership then you have two choices - pay for the repair or not get it fixed.

You can, of course, file suit or go to arbitration (depending on the situation and your state laws.)

Many people file suit. If the manufacturer/dealer lets it come to that, then you can bet your last dollar that they believe that they have enough convincing evidence to prevail.

Accordingly, this whole "Federal trumps state law that trumps..." is academic.

Where the rubber meets the road is that if it goes to court and you have a modded car (that is remotely connected to the failure) then there is a good chance that you might just lose.

Play "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon" and see if you can connect any failure to virtually any mod - you'll be surprised. Play by the sames rules as the court would - the modification of any part has an affect of the next related part.

For example, remember that BMW claims that the suspension is calibrated for the extra sidewall stiffness of RFTs - or that the use of aftermarket LEDs causes a change in the electrical draw, affecting the entire circuit.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #56
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Like I said earlier, people (customers, techs, service advisers) often confuse terms like "voiding the warranty" and "refusing warranty service."

Here is reality (like it or not)

If a dealership believes that your mod has caused a failure, then they are under an obligation to the manufacturer to refuse warranty repairs on that failure.

If you disagree then you can complain to the manufacturer. The manufacturer will then contact the dealership and get specifics. If the manufacturer sides with the dealership then you have two choices - pay for the repair or not get it fixed.

You can, of course, file suit or go to arbitration (depending on the situation and your state laws.)

Many people file suit. If the manufacturer/dealer lets it come to that, then you can bet your last dollar that they believe that they have enough convincing evidence to prevail.

Accordingly, this whole "Federal trumps state law that trumps..." is academic.

Where the rubber meets the road is that if it goes to court and you have a modded car (that is remotely connected to the failure) then there is a good chance that you might just lose.

Play "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon" and see if you can connect any failure to virtually any mod - you'll be surprised. Play by the sames rules as the court would - the modification of any part has an affect of the next related part.

For example, remember that BMW claims that the suspension is calibrated for the extra sidewall stiffness of RFTs - or that the use of aftermarket LEDs causes a change in the electrical draw, affecting the entire circuit.

This whole debate started with the concept that BMW dealers could just void warranties and say that a mod voids a warranty regardless of whether it has anything to do with the problem.

I agree that once you get into a finding of facts, you'd better be right because the dealer / manufacturer will have better experts than you. I would always recommend that before you decide to sue, that you at least see an independent mechanic and ensure that he'd be willing to testify as an expert that the mod could not have caused the problem.

In my professional experience working for Ford, as a manufacturer we only got into litigation when we knew with certainty that a modification caused a serious problem. We settled cases where we had reasonable cause, but given the customer bad-will AND the costs of litigation (losing manufacturers have to pay the consumer, and not vice versa), we had to be certain before we moved forward.

Your take on this issue is spot on. The only point I have been trying to make was that the mod needs to cause the problem in order for the dealer to refuse service.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #57
Sexual Philanthropist
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I agree^^. We are not talking about inalienable rights here. Many statutory laws and precedent can be contracted around and are done so everyday. But it has to be expressed in a bilateral agreement supplemented by a statement of sophistication and understanding.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #58
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008 View Post
There are no laws that require a warranty, but there is very specific laws around what a warranty is - limited or full. Don't know of a single OEM that offers a 'limited' warranty, the full warranty is specific.

As far as extended periods for specific systems, it falls into the same rubric. In other words, the powertrain has to be defined and taken as a full system. If you modify the intake, they still have to prove that that modification caused a problem with the water pump. They cannot void the waterpump because you put in a aftermarket intake - UNLESS the aftermarket intake caused the waterpump to fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #59
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
There are no laws that require a warranty, but there is very specific laws around what a warranty is - limited or full. Don't know of a single OEM that offers a 'limited' warranty, the full warranty is specific.

As far as extended periods for specific systems, it falls into the same rubric. In other words, the powertrain has to be defined and taken as a full system. If you modify the intake, they still have to prove that that modification caused a problem with the water pump. They cannot void the waterpump because you put in a aftermarket intake - UNLESS the aftermarket intake caused the waterpump to fail.
Every single manufacturer offers only a limited warranty.

A full warranty would mean that the manufacturer is responsible for every failure - customer inflicted as well.

The BMW, Ford, Chevy, RR, MB, VW and any other automotive warranty on the planet (and possibly in the universe) is a limited warranty. It spells out what is, and isn't covered. It also specifies what the owner/operator must do in order to keep the warranty intact (periodic maintenance for example, not making certain mods)

Pick up any warranty manual - the first words you see (usually in bold) are Limited Warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #60
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Just read through this entire thread. Very interesting info and it has given me a whole new aspect on MM and modding cars still under warranty.

The reason I am bring this thread back is because I am wondering what happens if you show up to a dealer with say the following mods: lowering springs, air filter, intake pipe, and aftermarket wheels (I will leave tune seperate for now).....You brought the car to the dealer not because you need a repair, in fact the car is running better than ever. You are simply bringing it in to have the oil changed and/or brake pads replaced.

Does/can the dealer "tag" you car and/or make a notation in the computer that this car has the following mods etc....then say later down the road if the car was reverted back to stock and you had an issue in one of the areas you had a mod they could deny warranty?

If this is the case do BMW dealers have the ability to "tag" the car in a broader sense besides just at that specific dealer...ie...in "BMW's main" computer so that any time any dealer or BMW pulls up your vin it would show that the car was modded at some point in time?

Now after the above, let's throw a tune into the mix (above items plus tune)....how would that affect the situation.

Again, you are simply bringing the car in for routine stuff such as brake pads, oil changes, etc....nothing is damaged.

Thanks in advance for input!
      09-23-2010, 11:32 AM   #61
jaf89f
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

I'm sure they could "tag" your car because in the end they are only going to want to repair the bare minimum. I have brought my car in for so many little things that they won't fix because they can't replicate the problem in the shop. That may be a little different than what you are asking, but still, if they can find any reason (you modding the car) for a defect that is not on them, I'm sure they will try to use it. Then again, they have to prove that the mod actually caused the problem. Also, with my experience, every dealer is different as well. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #62
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

There is no such thing as 'tagging' a car.

Dealers can and do put notes on your file. Anything from the depth of the tread on your tires to anything else that is relevant. If the guy working on your car finds it 'relevant' that you have an aftermarket intake - it will be there for anyone to see.

HOWEVER, the only thing you need to concern yourself with is whether the modifications you make to your car can somehow create a problem that would otherwise be a warrantable repair. If the dealer can demonstrate that your modifications are the source of the problem, they may under the MMA act decline to fix the problem under warranty.

A manufacturer cannot, by Federal Law, not comply with the warranty because there are aftermarket parts on the car and those parts cannot be demonstrated to be the cause of the problem. If you take the dealer to court, and win, you will not only get reimbursed (because you'll probably pay to get your car running), but your attorneys fees as well.

I've never pulled my mods out of my car when I go in for service. I've had my clutch replaced, my A/C compressor fixed, 3 oil changes and 3 tires replaced. None of the problems were related to my modifications and nothing was brought to my attention regarding my mods (FMIC, Dual Cones, Oil Catch Can). Worst I've gotten was a friendly 'slap'/comment about being a bit more gentle on my clutch - but fixed with no issues.

Further, somebody above posted something about BMWs having 'limited' warranties. That is incorrect. All manufacturers provide 'full' warranties for their vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
Just read through this entire thread. Very interesting info and it has given me a whole new aspect on MM and modding cars still under warranty.

The reason I am bring this thread back is because I am wondering what happens if you show up to a dealer with say the following mods: lowering springs, air filter, intake pipe, and aftermarket wheels (I will leave tune seperate for now).....You brought the car to the dealer not because you need a repair, in fact the car is running better than ever. You are simply bringing it in to have the oil changed and/or brake pads replaced.

Does/can the dealer "tag" you car and/or make a notation in the computer that this car has the following mods etc....then say later down the road if the car was reverted back to stock and you had an issue in one of the areas you had a mod they could deny warranty?

If this is the case do BMW dealers have the ability to "tag" the car in a broader sense besides just at that specific dealer...ie...in "BMW's main" computer so that any time any dealer or BMW pulls up your vin it would show that the car was modded at some point in time?

Now after the above, let's throw a tune into the mix (above items plus tune)....how would that affect the situation.

Again, you are simply bringing the car in for routine stuff such as brake pads, oil changes, etc....nothing is damaged.

Thanks in advance for input!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #63
My535i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Thanks for the reply. Would these "notations" be something that would only be available at that particular dealer or is that something that would carry with the car regardless of the dealer?

Lets take it one step further. Say you have a leased vehicle and you do the same/similar mods to it. Nothing goes wrong at all and the car only goes into the dealer for routine stuff. Lease is ending so you pull your items off (wheels, etc..) and revert the car back to stock. A year later something goes wrong in one of those areas. What can/would happen then?

Thanks again.

BTW michifan...do you have a tune on your car? Would you say it is something to worry about if taking your car for routine service with a tune installed...again even if there is nothing wrong with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michifan View Post
There is no such thing as 'tagging' a car.

Dealers can and do put notes on your file. Anything from the depth of the tread on your tires to anything else that is relevant. If the guy working on your car finds it 'relevant' that you have an aftermarket intake - it will be there for anyone to see.

HOWEVER, the only thing you need to concern yourself with is whether the modifications you make to your car can somehow create a problem that would otherwise be a warrantable repair. If the dealer can demonstrate that your modifications are the source of the problem, they may under the MMA act decline to fix the problem under warranty.

A manufacturer cannot, by Federal Law, not comply with the warranty because there are aftermarket parts on the car and those parts cannot be demonstrated to be the cause of the problem. If you take the dealer to court, and win, you will not only get reimbursed (because you'll probably pay to get your car running), but your attorneys fees as well.

I've never pulled my mods out of my car when I go in for service. I've had my clutch replaced, my A/C compressor fixed, 3 oil changes and 3 tires replaced. None of the problems were related to my modifications and nothing was brought to my attention regarding my mods (FMIC, Dual Cones, Oil Catch Can). Worst I've gotten was a friendly 'slap'/comment about being a bit more gentle on my clutch - but fixed with no issues.

Further, somebody above posted something about BMWs having 'limited' warranties. That is incorrect. All manufacturers provide 'full' warranties for their vehicles.
      09-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #64
michifan
Old Soul
United_States
Rep

BMW's system is global, so any notes in one dealer are available to another.

A lot of people on this board have more paranoia about dealers than necessary. Sure they are looking to make a buck, but as far as the MMA goes, this is between you and the manufacturer - and the law is biased towards the consumer - not the other way around.

End of the day, the dealer has to prove that whatever you modified on the car directly was responsible for the otherwise warrantable repair that the dealer/manufacturer is denying. I don't care if the dealer notes that I have a upgraded air intake, oil catch can and larger Intercooler. All three are preventative maintenance and would mean a serious failure on their part before it could cause any problems to the rest of the vehicle.

A tune, on the other hand, can lead to fried turbos, compression issues and a whole host of other issues. That is why many people recommend that you remove the tune before you go into the dealership for any work. Sometimes I have removed my tune, sometimes I haven't. I ALWAYS scan to make sure I have no tuning codes, set the tune to stock and have fair confidence that the dealer won't be inspecting my EMS. That being said, I wouldn't tell anybody anything other than remove your tune before you go into the dealer.

BMW wants to keep you as a customer. They aren't going to take a aggressive stand unless they are pretty certain that your modifications led to the problem they are denying. They have good mechanics, so typically they know what happened regardless of what is on the car when you bring it in.

As far as lease goes, I have a leased vehicle that I am considering turning in. I'm getting value from the mods I made and most (if not all) can be resold used if I decide not to buy my car off lease. You will need to pull all of your mods if you want your car 'certified' (extended BMW warranty) - but other than that, no worries.

The simplest advice I give to people is don't do a mod that can reasonably harm your car. If you do, you need to man-up to that responsibility. But don't NOT do a mod because you are paranoid that something else will go wrong and your mod will be blamed. That is pretty unusual, and I don't care how much you've done to your car, BMW is going to have a hard time denying a HPFP given the thousands of non-modified failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My535i View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would these "notations" be something that would only be available at that particular dealer or is that something that would carry with the car regardless of the dealer?

Lets take it one step further. Say you have a leased vehicle and you do the same/similar mods to it. Nothing goes wrong at all and the car only goes into the dealer for routine stuff. Lease is ending so you pull your items off (wheels, etc..) and revert the car back to stock. A year later something goes wrong in one of those areas. What can/would happen then?

Thanks again.

BTW michifan...do you have a tune on your car? Would you say it is something to worry about if taking your car for routine service with a tune installed...again even if there is nothing wrong with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #65
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
So, what's everyone's opinion on a CAI? I have a case opened with BMW about getting my lease bought out due to multiple fuel systems issues. My dealership is pushing hard, but immediately got some push back when the service notes showed a CAI installed. I removed it a while ago, but it was already noted. Now, I would think that most people would agree that this did not cause HPFP failures and control modules, etc. How strong is my case?
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #66
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

The purpose of "tagging" is to indicate to other BMW dealers that form now on, this car cannot be re-sell as a CPO. My son works in Honda service department told me this; and Honda did the same thing too. A tune will automatically put any car into non-CPO status.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0