BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #23
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEpic View Post
I can understand - Bridgestone runflats are what originally came with my car, and I loved them. Eventually switched out my back tires for some Pirelli's which were even better.

Wouldn't know about on a 3 series though.

Downside to runflats in my opinion is they are more prone to bubbles and what not.
cost more too lol, and ride comfort sucks and handling sucks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #24
drtvinp
Jedi Wannabe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i ZSP

Great thread and glad I found it. This seems to be the best spot to talk decide between the two.

I'm currently in that position on my 128i w/sport sus.

I'm on Bridgestone Driveguards (205f/225R) and I have not had any problems with them at all. My previous bimmer was a 330ci and I had nonrft which I loved, but would not know what to expect on this car. On my 330, I also remember going through tires like crazy, with at least two flats - both of which I was in a vicinity of a shop to get it fixed quickly.

After reading this thread, these are my concerns that maybe you can be of help on:

1) First and foremost - getting a flat. With no spare and no RFT, its a matter of having AAA or calling someone, all of which may wind up being the extra cost I would save by going non-rft. A follow-up to this would be, do any of you have alternatives to making the roadside call?

2) performance - I drive fast. I corner tight, and basically drive the car like I want another one - I don't beat on it - I drive it like it was supposed to be driven. That being said, I have had no complaints on rfts in this regard. But it sounds as though performance will improve?

3) taking heed to the discussion about sidewalls, the stiffer RFT and the possibility of componentry that is specific - I do NOT want to be in a position where I change out tires to nonrft and then have to go messing with the control arms, the bushings or any of the other suspension parts. Right now, my suspension is holding on and I wasn't planning on changing anything but the shocks and springs. What are the odds that I would have to go messing with anything else?

4) Cost. RFTs are pricey as you all know, but again, by going non-rft I am saving about 2-300 but it will ultimately be the cost of a flat down the road.

5) longevity. These RFTs seem to have lasted forever. I bought the car with 49k in jan 2016, and am at 95k now. The rears are way ready to replace but the fronts look like they could still go a while Like I said about my 330 - I went through nonrfts like crazy it seemed so I worry about them lasting - especially if the drive is different.

6) one more thing: TPMS. WIll it work the same? Do I even need to f'in bother? I mean if yhou go nonrft and it goes flat, then it's flat - I don't need a system to tell me that and it would basically save cash. Plus I check my pressures so there's that lol

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your input!

Last edited by drtvinp; 07-17-2018 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: added to
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #25
drtvinp
Jedi Wannabe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 128i ZSP

… aaaaaand I'm swiching to non-rft

Figured I would take the risk. Every other flat I've had I was near a service place - I was basically thinking worst case scenario of being stranded on a long trip or something.

As far as performance, another risk I am taking but based on most of the stuff I've read on here, it seems nonrft is the way to go and I will not be disappointed. Going with BFG g-force comp2 as - seems like a decent tire for a fair price, and seems to fit my needs.

Still curious on any responses though so have at it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #26
gary_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Got those. No complaints.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #27
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Get the stiffest sidewall non-RF tires for the best price. Guys seem to like like the Firestone's. I'm planning to try those next.

Btw if you like the way the stock suspension rides with run flats I'm surprised. Mine was like riding on bricks.
      07-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #28
StuP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Get the stiffest sidewall non-RF tires for the best price. Guys seem to like like the Firestone's. I'm planning to try those next.

Btw if you like the way the stock suspension rides with run flats I'm surprised. Mine was like riding on bricks.
And the incessant road noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #29
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post

And the incessant road noise.
My stereo does sound better with the non-run flat tires. It was literally that loud when they were worn down.