Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #68
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
This is what I had to post as my comment on all this debate continuing in relevant F80 thread with full speed. It was a reaction to a fellow Forum member:

"Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post

I am amazed by how this little thing has most here with your panties in a bunch.

I have owned an E46 M3, now E90 M3 & 1M.

I recently drove both the M135i and the M5 and they sound fantastic. Who gives a damn about this as long as the sound is believable and great.

Get a life people. I wish my 1M had this system. It needs it."

And my response is as follows:

"With due to respect to a fellow 1M owner, I disagree. In fact, I believe if you go and ask this in the 1M Forum as a poll, I bet you will be in absolute minority who thinks this is a much needed feature.

Not that the car has enough engine noise, in that sense yes it needs it.

But, it sure doesn't need to "fix" this lack of engine noise through controversial technology. And there will be lots of people like me who will think that "believable" is not good enough.

Because 1M is all about simplicity and rawness. It is a straightforward machine and doesn't need to cover its inherent weaknesses with anything, the rest of the car is good enough to make you forget about that and no need to try to make it feel like "perfect". I need some kind of intimacy with a car that I really love to drive and own, I don't need technology tries to show me that it is better than it actually is.

The fact that this technology is essentially in use just to imitate something which is not there, at least not as much as it used to be in the past, is in a way an admission of guilt and I perceive it as cheating, with good intention maybe but still it feels like cheating.

That's my 2 cents about all this."
I feel the same way.

I don't care if the M135i/M5 and M3/4 have that sound system. I don't see it as a problem and if I was going to buy one of those I wouldn't give a d4mn about that sound system. It's there and it works apparently.

BUT, as you already stated, the 1M doesn't need that. At all. The way the 1M's been designed/build and its character, totally different from the cars mentioned above, there is no need for more electronic gadgetry in a 1M.

The only active sound system a 1M problably needs(depending on taste) is a mechanical one:

A nice Akra/Eisenmann or other highend exhaust.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #69
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
The whole package looks and sounds good to me. EPS is my only worry(coming from a F30 335i) and the pricetag in my country....

Cheers
Robin

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Nice car but even the weight is under 1500kg i stick with my 1M coupe. Smaller wheelbase give you much agiler car. The 3 and 4 series are very big cars.

The engineering of the new M4 is perfect like throttle blip on 6 speed manual awesome.
Also carbon drive shaft.
carbon roof and rear boot
better brakes
lots of alu used

Now give us detuned engine of the M4 ---> 350hp is enough for me and 1360kg M2 then my 1M Coupe comes for sale.

Although the weight of 1500kg for such a big car is an engineering marvel, the wheel base indeed determines it` agility, now that wheelbase has grown again compared to the E92 M3, so high speed stability will be better, but at a cost; less agility IMHO

The M2 will also be bigger ( bigger wheelbase) compared to a 1M, so overall the choice for a successor for the 1M is NOT that easy to answer. Not easy at all. If it comes to agility territory that is.

Cayman S / GTS (whitch was confirmed yesterday with a +15 HP) could be after all the better choice, as comes to wheigt an agility, and best off all it`s NA
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #70
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I believe Scott26 later revised his statement, and indicated the N55/N54 hybrid would be allocated for the forthcoming F8x M3/M4. Perhaps somebody can locate that post.
I guess you refer to this post August 30, 2010 of forum fellow Scott26:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I see cars in the earliest stage but I have other projects to work on that I cannot afford to be distracted as I have many projects not only for cars but I also conceive stuff for BMWTV.de The German only BMW TV channel which in some cases do not involve cars. With each project now we have started to do Pre-visualisation on the computer because we can show it to the director and production crew and explain this is the angles we want to get the perfect shot.
The time window for this car is extremely tight and originally enthusiasm was not apparent until Dr. Kay Segler came to the M Division.
We had initially toyed with the idea of an 1M when we were conceiving the Coupe and did work with evaluation models then using the engine from the E46 and the upgraded E46 CSL engine but it proved to be too heavy for the car.
Originally in the early days of marketing the standard 135i was originally meant to be an M model.
The 1M that stands before you now has had possibly the most progressive stage from thought-production turnaround for a BMW. There had to be a lot of arm-twisting in the BMW Board because of the tight window between generation 1 and generation 2 of the Coupe. The proposal was greenlighted when BMW decided to use the Coupe model for the BMW eDrive evaluation.
Therefore slightly extending it's life cycle.
When I first saw the car it was in a design studio as a full scale claymodel but since then some designers ideas have to make way for aerodynamics and engineering. The initial engine proposal was the N55 but they were having issues that cannot be solved within the time window. BMW greenlit this car in July 09, now over a year later we see it as it intended , although testing still commences until the launch. Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3.
The best way to describe the engine of the 1M is a "Hybrid" but in the original form of Hybrid, nothing to do with "alternatives", but it is not a straightforward transplant.
There is a lot of this car that will carry over for the next generation 1M in which that car will switch to four cylinders to which the M Division engineers are already working on the basics without time constraints or restrictions.
1M (E82) is showing what is possible in a small timeframe 1M (F22) will show what is possible once you do not have restrictions.
      09-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #71
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
This is what I had to post as my comment on all this debate continuing in relevant F80 thread with full speed. It was a reaction to a fellow Forum member:
"Originally Posted by BMW M Power Mexico View Post
I am amazed by how this little thing has most here with your panties in a bunch.
I have owned an E46 M3, now E90 M3 & 1M.
I recently drove both the M135i and the M5 and they sound fantastic. Who gives a damn about this as long as the sound is believable and great.
Get a life people. I wish my 1M had this system. It needs it."

And my response is as follows:
"With due to respect to a fellow 1M owner, I disagree. In fact, I believe if you go and ask this in the 1M Forum as a poll, I bet you will be in absolute minority who thinks this is a much needed feature.
Not that the car has enough engine noise, in that sense yes it needs it.
But, it sure doesn't need to "fix" this lack of engine noise through controversial technology. And there will be lots of people like me who will think that "believable" is not good enough.
Because 1M is all about simplicity and rawness. It is a straightforward machine and doesn't need to cover its inherent weaknesses with anything, the rest of the car is good enough to make you forget about that and no need to try to make it feel like "perfect". I need some kind of intimacy with a car that I really love to drive and own, I don't need technology tries to show me that it is better than it actually is.
The fact that this technology is essentially in use just to imitate something which is not there, at least not as much as it used to be in the past, is in a way an admission of guilt and I perceive it as cheating, with good intention maybe but still it feels like cheating.
That's my 2 cents about all this."
+1

« Active Sound Design » device - Now available at your BMW dealer - M135i, M3, M4 and M5 approved.

Name:  Megaphone_1.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  21.0 KBName:  Megaphone_2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  20.0 KB
      09-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #72
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

It would be pretty interesting to see the M2 with a four banger. Surprised as some people would be, we'd have to admit Scott did say it would have 4 cylinders 3 years ago.

They should just stick the s55 in it and call it a day. Lighter with a smaller wheelbase, that would make for one hell of a car.

Even then I wouldn't find the M2 anything more than supplementary to the 1M
      09-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #73
Artemis
Rep

In the almost 150K views M3/M4 specs thread, Scott26 and Jason also provided the following interesting through-the-grapevine-information:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
From my conversations at Pebble Beach during the unveiling of the M4 Concept, BMW is trying its best to hold pricing close to the outgoing M3, albeit with adjustments made to reflect additional standard equipment that the F80 M3 and F82 M4 will come with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The weight reduction is an interesting factor because further down the line (Not tomorrow) there could be additional models under the GTS or CSL designation which are certainly under discussion because of the advancement of CFRP.
So as always this journey will be...interesting.
But there must be the establishment period first and foremost.
But what you can take from this is that for the competition , adding a CFRP roof like the M3 E92 adds extra cost, look at the M4 and M3? They have completely re-written the rules here in terms of advancement of lightweight technology.
A new era has begun under BMWi and today so it begins for BMW M.
In 2015 it begins for BMW. Which shows how exciting the future will be for all BMW brands.
Welcome to the Carbon Age.
In principle (read: logically), M2 pricing will be coined somewhere in-between M235i and F80 M3 pricing (except if different standard equipment packages complicate comparisons).

As a matter of fact, time will tell how decently the base M2 will be equipped when compared to the base M3/M4. Hopefully BMW does not adopt the Porsche pricing approach (i.e. allowing fashionable pricing by keeping the base car pretty 'stripped' as regards standard equipment, requiring virtually all prospective daily driver customers to tick several boxes in the lavishly lengthy Por$ch options list).

As regards standard equipment, BMW hopefully continues its tradition to decently equip its ///M cars (apart from all the integrated state-of-the-art high end technology, of course).