BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2023, 09:20 AM   #1
Ricsimas
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Thinking of a 128

Makeshift M-sport kit for a 128i?

Hello,

New to the forum. I searched for this topic unsuccessfully, so hopefully it’s not repetitive.

I’m thinking of purchasing a 128i and was generally looking for models with sport/m-sport suspension. Then I found what seems to be a good example without it.

I know the full kits are no longer available (right?), but was wondering if there was a way to replicate it with all OE parts? If yes, does anyone know what is needed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 08:01 PM   #2
Robhagen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4, X5-35d, 2x128i

Differences

Hello,
Sport Models offer sport seats and sport suspension (about 1/2 inch lower and a bit stiffer), M-Sport adds M inspired front/rear bumper and rocker trim. Both Sport and M-Sport have shadowline (black) exterior window trim. M-Sport gets black headliner.
On automatics Sport and M-Sport trim levels both get paddle shifters.

I believe that about covers it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 06:25 AM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Effectively the only thing you really want from msport are the seats.

Hard to find slicktop anthracite headliners too, I'd definitely look for a slicktop 128i. Deleted my sunroof and definitely a best ever move kinda thing.
      08-10-2023, 03:32 PM   #4
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Hey man,

I just did this with my 128i I purchased back in late March. Car was a base model but otherwise seemed like an OK deal. If you're handy with wrenches, you can source all the stuff you need to convert your car to a Sport package car.

The comfort suspension sucks! The comfort seats aren't so bad, but if you drive like a jackass on the regular like I do, the sport seats are really nice for keeping you and your co-driver(s) in place.

I sourced used 128i manual springs on this here forum, and replaced my shocks with factory 128i sport package Bilsteins. Everyone here seems to go with upgraded stuff (Bilstein B6, B8, coilovers, Konis, etc.) but I'm very happy with my factory spec stuff (all four shocks were $280 shipped). You will also need a full mount kit (Turner has one they've put together). You need front upper mounts (tophats), rear lower mounts, bumpstops, and possibly bellows. I also added Dinan fixed camber plates while I was in there to add in a touch of camber.

The other thing your base model car will be missing is a rear sway bar (got a used E90 rear bar with endlinks shipped to my door for $90). This may be difficult to install if you are new to wrenching. I was able to finaggle one into my car by lowering the subframe and removing 3 of 4 bolts, supporting the subframe with a jack. Definitely a 2-person job.

So far, I've put together all of the components listed above for ~$1500, and I'm very happy with the car I've built.

I see this post is over a month old but thought I would add my experience in here to show that it most certainly can be done. Just takes some perseverance and effort.

Last edited by cerealwars; 08-10-2023 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #5
BikeNHV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i, F-350, Cooper SE

^ I did something similar to the above with a minor difference in approach. My car is a base model with a fair bit of miles, and I didn't care to replicate a factory package part-for-part.

My understanding is even the sport/m-sport suspension was designed around the hard, run flat tires that these cars were originally sold with. Most of us don't have run-flats anymore, and those who do presumably have a newer version of the technology.

With that in mind, I went with BMW performance springs that were matched to the vin. These are available new. Lots of options for shocks, but I went with Koni Orange which seemed like a happy medium choice.

Added the rear swaybar, and perhaps most importantly the M rear subframe bushings. Totally different car.
23 Battery-powered MINI
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:24 PM   #6
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
BikeNHV's right on, seems like everyone who has upgraded their suspension seems happy.

I wasn't prepared to drop quite that kind of cash at the time, so I went the economy route. Honestly I'm really happy with the way it rides, feels like the right compromise for me (~10k miles/year, a fair amount of rough Detroit streets, and 2 or 3 track days). I also ditched the runflats very soon after getting the car.

Rear subframe bushings are coming up soon on my list, I'm interested to see if that will change my opinion on the stock suspension.
Appreciate 0