BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #23
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Automatics don't have oil coolers. This 135i does have headlight washers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Finally saw the 1 in Detroit today.
1. The look is destined to be a classic, IMO. Grows on you in pictures, but absolutely grabs you in the flesh.
2. I was expecting to be surprised at how small it was, yet I was surprised by how small it was.
3. Ryephile had it right: don't ask your friends to get in and out of that back seat. They won't come out with you a second time. I'm six feet tall and I had to slide the passenger seat all the way up and still had trouble getting in. My head was touching the roof in the backseat. Another dude hopped up front, about my size and his knees were just off the dash.
4. Finish is comparable to the 3.
5. The car looks and feels as if it's going to be a riot once it's on the road.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Just got back from the show and I'm truly in love with the little sucker. It looks awesome in person, realy "beefy" you can tell that she's born to run like hell. I really like the way the rear fenders flare out to give it a muscular appearance. I also had the chance to meet a fellow 1addicts member.

Does anyone know what the little slot to the right of the shifter is, it looks like it would hold an ipod or something but I know that's not what it's for. Any ideas ??
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #26
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post
Just got back from the show and I'm truly in love with the little sucker. It looks awesome in person, realy "beefy" you can tell that she's born to run like hell. I really like the way the rear fenders flare out to give it a muscular appearance. I also had the chance to meet a fellow 1addicts member.

Does anyone know what the little slot to the right of the shifter is, it looks like it would hold an ipod or something but I know that's not what it's for. Any ideas ??
Nice to hear more positive in-the-metal impressions. :wink: The contraption to the passenger side of the shifter is a fold-out cupholder.

Edit: Ah ha, found the pic of it engaged...

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #27
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Coupe

I can hardly wait to get in mine....it's gonna fit me like a hand in a glove.

I presently use a CG lock on the seat belt in the MINI to keep from sliding around when I play in my favorite neighborhood twistys.

Sport Seat in the 1er is gonna be a dream come true...not to mention the rest of it.

Thanx for all those inspirational pix guys!!!
      01-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #28
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Sedona Red is a darker, richer color than represented in pictures. I'd take a pic, look down at the digital image, then look back up at the car...not the same. Not the color for me, but much nicer than I'd expected.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #29
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
Sedona Red is a darker, richer color than represented in pictures. I'd take a pic, look down at the digital image, then look back up at the car...not the same. Not the color for me, but much nicer than I'd expected.
Yep, I'm a "one red car in the garage" kinda person. Don't much think I'd like sedona either.
      01-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #30
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR2SLOW1 View Post

I have been to the detroit autoshow today and have spent some 6 hrs roaming around the 1 er from 9 in the morning:wub: telling my spouse at home that I have been looking at other cars

I also met ur2slow and we shared our enthusiasm together On my views, I like the 135's muscular stance and the rear fenders are awesome. They look a lot better in the real world than in the pics. Trust me on this. The front headlamps aren't as pronounced as in pics and the so called defect on the top middle of the headlamps is very very negligible. You can't feel it really. I am 6'2" and might be a 5'4" can sit in the back seat but I can't see myself convincing my friends to sit in the back:biggrin: The sports seats are fantastic and one should get the sports package just for the seats and the thick nice feeling steering wheel. The dash is clean & nice but the navi seems like an afterthought and doesn't blend well. there was a small alum shiny metallic thing on the passengers side with an opening and I didn't know what it was for.:iono: Trunk is decent and the battery compartment is very easily accessible if you wanna fiddle. I really like the cool exhaust tips and the rear lip is suttle but nice. I never thought I would like the taillights but in real they add to the fast and sporty nature of our little monster :biggrin:

The few gripes I had are the throws on the manny are long and I am not overawed by the clutch(I thought it would be much tighter or foot hugging). In comparision I felt the clutch and gears on the 08 subaru wrx were more slick. Might be the short throw available optional on the 335 might do the trick?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #31
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
there was a small alum shiny metallic thing on the passengers side with an opening and I didn't know what it was for.:iono:
Umm.... page-up like twice. :wink: Glad you liked it... gonna be a tough 2 months around here!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #32
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
Umm.... page-up like twice. :wink: Glad you liked it... gonna be a tough 2 months around here!
Thanks...! I just saw your earlier post:biggrin: Time to save money for the next 2 months in these bleak times:smile:
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #33
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Great first impressions guys. Can't wait get to mine.

The Power of M
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #34
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
Finally, someone whose seen Sedona Red and did not .

There's hope that my little baby will not be the ugly duckling on the roads in Sedona Red.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #35
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I was at the show yesterday and I do have to say car looks amazing in person. Fit and finish is good, steering wheel and shifter with sport package are nice, visibility from driver seat is good. I am not sure experiences that other people had with small coupes, but I am 5,11 and 170lbs and I DID NOT have too many problems getting in and out from the back seat. Yes it is a little tight, but it is not bad at all. My friend who is my height, sat on the front driver seat and I sat in the back, and easily I can spend 2 hours in the back. The front seats are nice and supportive and there is good amount of room on the front. If I push the seat all the way back, I can not completely depress the clutch. The funny thing was when I sat with my girlfriend on the front, she said: Where is 135? She thought we were sitting in 3 series, and could not believe that we were in 1 series and it wasn't tinny. To be honest with you, and it might sound crazy, but I wish that 135i could be a little smaller. So those of you that worry about car being too small, don't, you can have 4 adults that are average size easy. The colour of sedona red is not very nice in person, there is more orange than red to it, kind of orange that went bad. I did not like it. Overall I was very happy how the car looked, the size and quality, and looking at 335 coupe next to it, 135i looked so much better...(IMO)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #36
darknightohio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I got to experience the 1er at the Detroit auto show and the build quality is fantastic. The interior materials used inside look and feel great, the door also closes with a nice "thud". I sat in the M3 and actually preferred the 135i to the M3.

I can't wait to test drive the 135i.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 02:44 PM   #37
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
Just got back from the show! It was great to finally see and sit in the coupe! It certainly has met my expectations!

One area where pictures do no justice is the tail pipes. They are pretty big in diameter and will certainly offer a throaty growl when passing benzies and porche's!

In talking with some of the dealer reps who have driven the car, their impression is the 135 is quicker than the reported 5.1 sec, offering an insurance explanation for the advertised number. The impression was closer to 4.5 sec. We'll have to see!

Something I haven't read about, although somewhat negligible, is the IPOD accessory. there is a little pouch attached to the underneath part of the arm rest. It is obviously for an MP3 player or Ipod. It's right above the Aux and USB port in area. Not sure if it's standard or only for the IPOD option.

I sat in the back seat. Had a little trouble wedging myself out. I wouldn't want to sit back there, but would if required. Certainly the front passagers would here some complaining after about an hour. I'm 5'10, 190lbs.

The sedona doesn't seem to excentuate the lines much, maybe it was the lighting, or people surrounding the car so you couldn't get a good look from a distance, but . I should be pleased with the Jet Black with tinted windows I've ordered.

The shift throw is better than BMW's of old, but not nearly as quick as, say, an Acura S-type, which has one of the shortest I've ever driven. Same for the clutch throw. Despite, I'm very satisfied with the action. I'm sure a short throw kit will improve, but it's not really needed, per se. Depends on use. Die Hard track enthusiasts probably won't be satisfied, even though there is an improvement over previous years manuals.

The tires are certainly massive, and the brakes are certainly to be all that they should be. This car needs lowered another 3/4", in my opinion. I'm being picky here, though, as the tires certainly take up most of the wheel well area.

The glove box will barely hold a pack of matches, if anyone cares. The trunk is huge, for the size of the car. Very impressed.

I agree with the earlier post about visability. Blind spots will likely seem minimal, from what I could gather.

The engine compartment was very clean looking. The turbos barely visable. Hey, a little extra room to spare. Front strut brace hasn't gotten much attention, likely because it is mostly hidden.

I'm pretty sure that from the front seats, the ergonomic and cabin size is the same as a 335. I noticed very little difference between the two.

Happy to field any questions anyone might have........
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #38
dclee1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the extensive impressions bimmer! 4.5 sec is:eyebulge: but is that even realistic or is it a bit of puffery? Does a loss of ~200lbs (est) make that much difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #39
bimmer98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
1987 325is  [0.00]
Yeah, I'm skeptical, but they are the only ones I've talked to that actually have driven the car. There's more than just the weight issue, but I haven't really compared gear ratio's and that. I'm sure someone will have some opinions on that topic.

I tried to hit on areas that haven't gotten that much attention to avoid redundency, but couldn't help post what I was told by someone who actually drove the car.

I'll believe it when I drive it, I suppose.........but here's to wishing......
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #40
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclee1 View Post
Thanks for the extensive impressions bimmer! 4.5 sec is:eyebulge: but is that even realistic or is it a bit of puffery? Does a loss of ~200lbs (est) make that much difference?
Make what difference? :iono: The 335i has been clocked at around about 4.8 sec (IIRC). So 200lbs less weight for a 0.2 - 0.3 sec difference, I can't see why that would not be possible.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0