BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #23
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Hopefully that means there will plenty of headroom in back!
Obviously we have different priorities - I would gladly sacrifice headroom out back for a true coupe look.

My first reactions to this car were pretty negative, but I am coming around and now find it easier to set aside the specific design faux pas around headlights etc. So it was a bit of a shock to see the comments on today's 1 coupe posting on the Jalopnick.com auto blog - there are a LOT of folks out there who think this is one ugly duckling. And considerable outrage over the lack of a LSD which leads some to state that the 1 series is just a poser as a driver's car. Oh well, if sales are slow that should make it easier to get hold of one, and at a reasonable price...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #24
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
there are a LOT of folks out there who think this is one ugly duckling. And considerable outrage over the lack of a LSD which leads some to state that the 1 series is just a poser as a driver's car. Oh well, if sales are slow that should make it easier to get hold of one, and at a reasonable price...

Yes, there appears to be a lot of criticism on both matters (exterior and LSD). If BMW NA misses the mark on the MSRP there will be plenty of 1er coupes sitting on Center lots.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #25
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
Yes, there appears to be a lot of criticism on both matters (exterior and LSD). If BMW NA misses the mark on the MSRP there will be plenty of 1er coupes sitting on Center lots.
does the 335 have a LSD? does any BMW in production besides an M have a LSD? did the 2002 have a LSD?
please correct me if i'm wrong about these.

it might be an ugly duckling ... to each their own ... but this other seems unrealistic criticism.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #26
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
does the 335 have a LSD? does any BMW in production besides an M have a LSD? did the 2002 have a LSD?

it might be an ugly duckling ... to each their own ... but this other seems unrealistic criticism.
Today, only M models get LSDs. Which is why the 335i with 300hp stock doesn't get one, and why, if you turn off the traction control and try to exit a turn on-power you might just end up lighting-up the inside rear. Of course the car will be a bit safer for ham-fisted, uh footed drivers.

The 135 seems to be blurring the line between M models and standard models w/ its standard big 'ole motor, M-aerokit and M bits in the interior. If it doesn't get and LSD (or some sort of device that mimics an LSD) then the fun factor for me has just been seriously reduced. Why bother putting so much power into the car if it can't 100% be taken advantage of? Why do you think Vishnu installed an LSD into their 335 as soon as they could?

I still like the car and am considering it, but the upgrade path now necessitates an extra $2k for an LSD. And that's after a suspension upgrade (don't loose traction in the first place).

-Mahlzeit
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #27
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:

I like the profile and the rear of the 135i. The front is still growing on me. BTW, I did not like the E90 when it was released, but I liked the way it drove and currently own. Furthermore, the E92 does very little for me.

No, the 335 does not have a LSD and that is a big complaint of many track junkies. I do not know about the 2002, but the '87-'90 E30 325is and the '87-88 E28 528is had an LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #28
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yeah i certainly appreciate that a LSD is needed to optimize this car.

it just seems to me that this car stock is a balance of cost and performance and should be measured by that standard.

if the rumors of bmw performance parts being released are true then i think that must be a compromise ... allow people to upgrade yet still provide the reasonably priced version for the mass market that meets their desired price-point.

personally i was planning on a 335i but never really was a big fan of its look and didn't need the larger car... the option of a 135i fit me perfectly.

and yeah i'll prob drop many mods into it as well
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #29
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
it just seems to me that this car stock is a balance of cost and performance and should be measured by that standard.
Good point. We won't really be able to make the value call until the prices are out and the road tests hit the net.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #30
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon K View Post
Obviously we have different priorities - I would gladly sacrifice headroom out back for a true coupe look.

My first reactions to this car were pretty negative, but I am coming around and now find it easier to set aside the specific design faux pas around headlights etc. So it was a bit of a shock to see the comments on today's 1 coupe posting on the Jalopnick.com auto blog - there are a LOT of folks out there who think this is one ugly duckling. And considerable outrage over the lack of a LSD which leads some to state that the 1 series is just a poser as a driver's car. Oh well, if sales are slow that should make it easier to get hold of one, and at a reasonable price...
Looks always have been very subjective, so I understand that. I love the way the car looks; I think its profile is about as true to BMW design as you can get. Also, all the non-car people that I have shown pictures to have had generally good reactions, so I guess we will see.

As far as the lack of an LSD, well, if a 335i that weighs more, has lesser brakes, and supposidely a softer suspension can out run an RS4 at VIR, I would say this car is going to be quite a performer. A poser as a drivers car? I think not...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #31
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
As far as the lack of an LSD, well, if a 335i that weighs more, has lesser brakes, and supposidely a softer suspension can out run an RS4 at VIR, I would say this car is going to be quite a performer. A poser as a drivers car? I think not...
Looks like I'll just have to drive the darn thing and then make up my mind. But my dirty little secret is that when no one is looking, I turn off my M's traction control for a little power induced tail-out fun. I'm just wondering if that will be possible in a stock 135.

Speculation is so annoying, I just want to drive it and see.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #32
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Alpine Weiss

Quote:
Absolutely. I think this car will look awesome in real life in black but i'd really like to see other colors as well.

Till about 2 days ago I was set on the 335. Apparently I was living under a rock because I just discovered this car. I have zero reason (personally) to go for the 335 now and can't wait to see this thing IRL.
I thought the same thing, until I drove the 335i. For me, it had zero torque. I highly prefer my M3 over that car, but now with the 135i coming out, my mind has changed. I feel it will definitely destroy the E46 M3 in a straight line and possibly in the bend (I guess we will see once we get to drive one). Essentially, its an M car, we all know that. Heck I even think it will rival the E92.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #33
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp, 2021 X7

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Won35i View Post
I thought the same thing, until I drove the 335i. For me, it had zero torque. I highly prefer my M3 over that car, but now with the 135i coming out, my mind has changed. I feel it will definitely destroy the E46 M3 in a straight line and possibly in the bend (I guess we will see once we get to drive one). Essentially, its an M car, we all know that. Heck I even think it will rival the E92.
Im sorry, but this post honestly makes zero sense.
      07-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #34
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH007 View Post
Im sorry, but this post honestly makes zero sense.
Haha, I know. There goes all of his credibility.
      07-21-2007, 07:57 PM   #35
fishbulb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

nice shots!

I am sick for them as well. My wife doesn;t want to hear about the 135 any more. Even my car crazed friends are also starting to roll there eyes...

can';t wait to see one in the flesh! THen drive one.....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2007, 12:08 AM   #36
dumesday4u
Rep
Drives:

first time i saw pics of the 135i the only thing i could say was "wow what an ugly car." but man has things changed. im like addicted to this car now and im loving these pics, i just hate that awful sedona red color!
      07-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #37
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumesday4u View Post
first time i saw pics of the 135i the only thing i could say was "wow what an ugly car." but man has things changed. im like addicted to this car now and im loving these pics, i just hate that awful sedona red color!
You took the words out of my mouth. WTF. to :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #38
Won35i
Unofficial Official "IN"
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi Alpine Weiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Haha, I know. There goes all of his credibility.
How so? The 335 has no pull, you can barely tell that its a bi turbo system. In an essence thats good, but bad for the performance minded looking for raw power. Have you driven both a 335i coupe and e46 M3? Driven them hard?

I have.... I can say I prefer my M3 over that car, but with that same motor(N52) in a smaller, slightly lighter car there might be a difference. I guess I shouldnt say it would beat the E46 in a straight line. It might... Im only speculating this because BMW called a 5.3 in the 335i 0-62. Meanwhile, it did it in 4.9. So, the 135i should be quicker. Those times are already quicker than the E46 M3. If and this is a big IF, the 135i does have an M suspension package, I hope that it is better than the e46 M. Theres no reason why it shouldnt be. BMW has had plenty of time to perfect this car.

And face it, even though none of us have driven the E92 M, its not getting very good reviews (past a good suspension and frame). Maybe it will be the best handling M, but I highly doubt it. Its large and heavy. Take for instance, a GXP-R vs GT Porsches in the Rolex Cup, theres no comparison there. The porsches are much more nimble. We might be seeing the same thing here with the 135 and new M. Should we? Heck no, the M should be the top dog, but again until we have all three cars to test its all speculation.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #39
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i believe their point was that the 335i actually has more peak torque (300 ft-lbs) than the e46 m3 (255 ft-lbs) yet you claimed the 335i had "zero torque".

i haven't compared dyno charts so i'm not exactly an expert on this. :drinking:
Appreciate 0