BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3racer View Post
Yeah, I just found this in one of the threads here:

N51/N52/N52K: GS6-17BG or GS6-37BZ (128i)

Designation is as follows:

G = transmission
S = manual
6 = 6 forward gears
17 = I-transmission, 37 = H-transmission, 53 = G-transmission
B = petrol/gasoline gear ratio
Z = manufacturer is ZF, G = manufacturer is Getrag

And RealOEM only calls out the GS6-17BG for the U.S.
Yeah, it shows that part number (GS6-17BG) for all 128i's, but there are three different "suffixes" according to build date: TAH8, TAH9, and TAPX. I wonder what that's all about. Sometimes part numbers change even when the part doesn't, lol.
      04-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Yeah, it shows that part number (GS6-17BG) for all 128i's, but there are three different "suffixes" according to build date: TAH8, TAH9, and TAPX. I wonder what that's all about. Sometimes part numbers change even when the part doesn't, lol.
Yup.

As long as I get a good one, it won't matter... Six weeks (give or take) and counting....
      04-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yup.

As long as I get a good one, it won't matter... Six weeks (give or take) and counting....
It's a good one - trust me.

I think it's quite good out of the box, but you may look into adding a clutch stop, CDV delete, and/or BMW Performance SSK (you can buy just the shift lever and keep the stock knob and boot if you like). I did all three incrementally and found they all improved feel/action a little bit.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that our cars have ZF steering racks - I think that's what I was thinking of. I seem to remember somewhere on RealOEM where it specifically says "ZF" in the notes section (so no need to even decode part numbers).
      04-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Ah, I wasn't considering the number of gears. We are starting to see a lot of 7-speed and I think even some 8-speed autos.

What part of Spain is your family in? I was in Andalucia for 3 1/2 years, until last summer. Like I said, I didn't see too many autos then, but I wonder if your family is in a wealthier part of the country, maybe? As you know, the economy has been hit pretty hard over there, and I think Andalucia was the worst of the worst. Something like 25% unemployment.
My family is all in Sevilla which is the capital of that region Lucky for them they've all been lucky with all the economic issues there. They all live in the city where traffic has gotten bad, hence the automatics which make it much easier to deal with all the stop and go.
      04-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #27
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's a good one - trust me.
If you can't trust a guy with a Crimson Red 128i, who can you trust?

Quote:
I think it's quite good out of the box, but you may look into adding a clutch stop, CDV delete, and/or BMW Performance SSK (you can buy just the shift lever and keep the stock knob and boot if you like). I did all three incrementally and found they all improved feel/action a little bit.
Hmm, I'll look into those mods... Thanks.

Quote:
FWIW, I'm pretty sure that our cars have ZF steering racks - I think that's what I was thinking of. I seem to remember somewhere on RealOEM where it specifically says "ZF" in the notes section (so no need to even decode part numbers).
I thought I read something about the switch to electric steering racks from the time-tested hydraulic ones...
      04-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
My family is all in Sevilla which is the capital of that region Lucky for them they've all been lucky with all the economic issues there. They all live in the city where traffic has gotten bad, hence the automatics which make it much easier to deal with all the stop and go.
I was about 90 minutes from Sevilla. Getting there wasn't too bad, but yeah - traffic in the city was bad.

One thing I really miss about driving in Spain and Portugal is all the roundabouts. It's like you almost never have to stop. We'd probably screw it up in the US, though, lol.
      04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #29
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you can't trust a guy with a Crimson Red 128i, who can you trust?
Very good point.

Quote:
I thought I read something about the switch to electric steering racks from the time-tested hydraulic ones...
Oddly enough, some of the lower-output 1ers that aren't sold in the US do get electrically-assisted racks, but the 128i/135i were deliberately given hydraulic racks - I assume to retain more steering feel. Maybe you read something about the new 1er/3er? Seems like reviews of the new F30 3er have been mixed on the steering. I can only guess that BMW will be moving to electrically-assisted steering throughout the lineup before too long. IIRC, even the new Porsches are switching over...
      04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #30
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
I was about 90 minutes from Sevilla. Getting there wasn't too bad, but yeah - traffic in the city was bad.

One thing I really miss about driving in Spain and Portugal is all the roundabouts. It's like you almost never have to stop. We'd probably screw it up in the US, though, lol.
Roundabouts are fun and I've started to see more pop up here in the US...people get confused with them though. They aid is keeping congestion down. I really miss the mountain drives/rides there...such beautiful country. I grew in Rota I miss the beaches and relaxed living more than anything. Ooooo and Fanta de Limon...ah los recuerdos que tengo. Ojala regreso un dia.
      04-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe you read something about the new 1er/3er?
Maybe.

I've been on this crazy mad search for every little droplet of information (techno-geek here) on the 128i and related that I might've got some info mixed up here and there...

Quote:
Seems like reviews of the new F30 3er have been mixed on the steering. I can only guess that BMW will be moving to electrically-assisted steering throughout the lineup before too long. IIRC, even the new Porsches are switching over...
Top Gear's review of the latest M5 pointed out that the steering was still hydraulic... And they were very happy about that.
      04-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #32
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I grew in Rota I miss the beaches and relaxed living more than anything. Ooooo and Fanta de Limon...ah los recuerdos que tengo. Ojala regreso un dia.
Small world - I lived in Rota! Stationed there in the Navy. I miss the beaches, too, especially in the summers when all the chiringuitos would open. Overall, I really miss the pace of life - so much less hectic than life here!
      04-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #33
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

According to my window stick I have a ZF tranny in my auto 135

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #34
Black Prinz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 545i-128i-X3x35i-M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
EPA emissions. It is far harder to make a manual trans pass their tests.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ies-20987.html

Mistatement

It's the cost to federalize a low take option.

In the (not so distant) past the manual trannys usually achieved higher mpg than autos, therfore allowing the manufacturer to claim a slightly higher CAFE number since it was available in the base model. With modern autos providing equal or greater mpg than manuals, coupled with the low take rate for manuals, the benefit of federalizing the manual is gone.

Sorry but the market has spoken.
The Black Prinz | 09E82N51 | BMW 3-Stage Intake Manifold | BILSTEIN B12 Pro-System+ | ///M Control Arms | ///M Bushing kit | ///M Strut Brace | DINAN Camber Plates & Rear Shock Mounts | ECS Performance Trailing Arms | aFe Magnum Force Intake System [Dynamic Air Scoops+Stage 2 CAI] | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Brakes | GOODRIDGE G-Stop SS | DEPO V2 | Style 220M reps |
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #35
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I don't think anyone has touched on it but the newer autos have many more gears than the 3-4-or5 speed autos of the not so distant past. It's not uncommon to see a 7 or 8 speed auto in a new car. This is directly related to tighter MPG requirements being mandated by the feds. Combine this with the low take rate and I think you have your answer. Audi is surely aware of this as their more fuel hungry, non-S, AWD models have had 2 pedals for a few years now. Manual tranny gets you FWD.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Modern automatic transmissions aren't anything like their old counterparts. They're faster, more efficient, and more reliable than their manual counterparts nowadays.
Not true in the slightest.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #37
The Transporter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
6MTs are still alive and well in the S4/A4 sedan models, with Quattro, at least according to the 2012 configurator. In fact, if you order a 6MT, you must get Quattro.

My wife rows the gears in her 2011 A4 6MT Quattro every day. It is a wonderful car. According to the dashboard display, 34+ mpg highway requires no special effort--35,36 numbers are common if you stay around 60mph, such as on the freeways in the city limits. I think that is awesome for a midsize sedan with AWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #38
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:

There was a roundabout in the town I grew up in. It was 5 roads coming in at odd angles except from one direction where two roads were at a 90 degree offset.

So many people caused accidents by missing the roundabout and just going left that they repaved the whole sections and added a left turn lane there and a yield sign for traffic at the round about.

So in short, yes, americans dont understand roundabouts.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #39
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Yes, you can get 6MT with AWD on the A4 Sedan, however if you change it to an Avant, no dice. The A3 doesn't offer a manual in AWD either... or with the diesel plant.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #40
Järppä
Old fart
Finland
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xdrive25 + E53 X5 V8

Quote:
Yeah, I just found this in one of the threads here:

N51/N52/N52K: GS6-17BG or GS6-37BZ (128i)

Designation is as follows:

G = transmission
S = manual
6 = 6 forward gears
17 = I-transmission, 37 = H-transmission, 53 = G-transmission
B = petrol/gasoline gear ratio
Z = manufacturer is ZF, G = manufacturer is Getrag

And RealOEM only calls out the GS6-17BG for the U.S.
I have to interfere to this whit
Diesel engine 123 automatic transmission GA6HP19Z
123 and 135 has lots of similarity