BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Aftermarket BOV questions/feed back

So. The Wastegates on my N54 engine are of course rattling. I can adjust them.

However, if am going to be in there, is it worth replacing with an after market system like the Forge Recirculation.

Just looking for some feedback from the forum. Has anyone done this. Level of diffculty. How do you like it, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
gmane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Hmm wastegates aren't the same things as BOV's.. To my knowledge the wastegate is related to regulating the boost, while a BOV will release "excess" boost.
Are the waste gates on these cars internal or external waste gates?? I know on some turbos the wastegates are built right in which would mean replacing the entire turbo but again I'm not sure how it's setup on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
So. The Wastegates on my N54 engine are of course rattling. I can adjust them.

However, if am going to be in there, is it worth replacing with an after market system like the Forge Recirculation.

Just looking for some feedback from the forum. Has anyone done this. Level of diffculty. How do you like it, etc.
The wastegates are entirely independent of the recirculation system, they are simply not related. The wastegates obviously are on the hot side, and are internal to the turbocharger. So you don’t have an external WG like on a custom single turbo setup. Of course do what you gotta do to calm down the actuator rattle, but Forge diverter valves won’t do a thing for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmane View Post
Hmm wastegates aren't the same things as BOV's.. To my knowledge the wastegate is related to regulating the boost, while a BOV will release "excess" boost.
Are the waste gates on these cars internal or external waste gates?? I know on some turbos the wastegates are built right in which would mean replacing the entire turbo but again I'm not sure how it's setup on these cars.
WGs are internal on the stock TD turbos.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Thanks for the clarification on the BOV.

Actually the wastegates are accesible from outside the turbo. Hence the ability to adjust the rattle out of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
Thanks for the clarification on the BOV.

Actually the wastegates are accesible from outside the turbo. Hence the ability to adjust the rattle out of them.
It is the actuator arm that rattles for the most part, and that can be adjusted and tightened. Additionally, the internal wastegate can be played with via tuning.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0