E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AMAZING crash avoidance capabilities

09-17-2005, 01:35 AM   #23
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I was SO close to getting side swiped today 2 times, occuring within 5 mins of each other. And i love how im honking my ass off to let them know, and finally they move back and put their hands up like its my fault. F YOU, open your damn eyes..
      09-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #24
connermd
What did I miss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

I just had a very close call when returning from the donut shop. Not sure if I could have avoided an accident had I been driving my old car. The brakes on this car are great.

I was not blocking the passing lane and was about to pass a large truck which was to my right...and suddenly a car speeds by me on the right at a very high rate of speed (Probably doing 80 - 85 in a 55 mph construction zone) and cuts in front of me with just a few feet to spare (the few feet was after I jammed on the brakes - there was no place to go on either side as the construction zone was closed in with cement barriers).

The other driver that was driving recklessly and at a very high rate of speed that almost caused an accident was driving a BMW :mad:

I am all for driving fast and fun..but it pisses me off when somone puts my life, and the life of my child at risk doing it.
      09-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #25
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
I actually get tired of idiots going 110 mph on I5 while I'm going at the common-speed-law limit of around 80 on the left lane - am I still obligated to frequently move out of the left lane for those going at ridiculously high speeds? This isn't Germany, and the I5 isn't the autobahn. Most of the time, however, I usually see these fast pacers (M3's, 911's, what have you not) pass me up on the right...perhaps they're tired of repititously high beaming people from behind to move out of their way. U.S. major highways usually end up being only 2 lanes out of cities, with slow traffic going at about 65 on the right lane - who the hell goes 100+ knowing that the left lane mainly occupies 80 mph vehicles? On top of that, I think it's absurd for people going the common limit to have to repeatedly 'get out of the way' for the speeders.
Absurdity.
Aha, here is classic "me-centric" (why should I move?) thinking that is common in US traffic. RoW traffic has its downsides as well, but this kind of "enforcement" and ridiculuousness does not exist.

How would you like it if three cars going 65mph lined up on all three lanes when you wanted to go your "reasonable" 80? From their point of view, what you want to do is illegal, why should they move over for you? Cruising in the left lane is impolite, it should be kept open for passing. That also goes for the original poster who seemed to have been passing "glacially". As much as I hate it (I learned to drive in Europe), I have to pass on the right to avoid the bigger evil of tailgating - all caused by the likes of you who - nice car or not - have no clue about courteous driving...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #26
pony_trekker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535 x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
Right lane was wide open, and I think the truck came from the middle lane once he ran up the Fire Repair truck.
Right lane's not for passing. I'll throw on the blinker if I am about to move over, not that this guy would've gotten it.

Speaking of handling I had a deer cross in front of me. I double footted the brakes and actually smelled 'em smoke. But the car stopped and didn't fishtail in any way.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Define "glacially." I consider myself a very courteous driver. Regardless of my speed, if I see a car coming up, I make an effort to get out of the way. There is a difference between passing a car at a reasonable speed relative to the car you are passing (maybe I was over his speed by 5-10 MPH), and taking 2-3 miles to pass a car. In this particular situation, the truck came from nowhere and was on my ass in under 5 seconds. From time he appeared to cutting me off MIGHT have been 10 seconds. I don't think that glacially applies to my situation.
Conversely, if I come up on a vehicle that is passing, but going slower than myself, I typically grant at least 1/4 mile to see any progress in the pass before I do a single flash to pass on the headlights. I then get closer and flash again, all the while looking for the opportunity to pass in a different lane so that I do not need to tailgate. I signal all my actions, and have never entered a lane which was currently occupied to "make a point" to a driver who did not complete his/her pass in what I considered a timely manner.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #28
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

I had my own 'crash avoidance' test last weekend in a E90 325i. I was coming home in a torrential downpour going down a hill. To my right was an intersecting street with a driver coming towards the stop sign. This guy (drunk probably) ran the stop sign and I had to take some evasive manuevers to avoid him. The car didnt twitch or complain at all as i manuvered around this idiot in the monsoon I was driving in. Quite amazed and impressed at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #29
saalim
Non Resident
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
IMO, aggressive tailgating is bad. But so is not letting someone pass on the fast lane.

NJ drivers are pretty agressive and I have often had to pass ppl on the right lane. I dont know if its because they dont notice me or is it because they feel like they dont have to move for me . In both cases, it gets a bit frustrating after you have been behind them for a couple of mins.

I was tailgating [not aggressively] this girl one time and she tapped her brakes!! Whats up with that.....the right lane was empty too. Anyways, I passed her on the right.....and she was pissed off as hell....was shouting and givin me the finger and stuff. I tend not to loose my cool while drivin, so I just smiled, drove by and tailgated the next idiot that was in my way.
:rocks:

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 04:14 PM   #30
saalim
Non Resident
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ
Aha, here is classic "me-centric" (why should I move?) thinking that is common in US traffic. RoW traffic has its downsides as well, but this kind of "enforcement" and ridiculuousness does not exist.

How would you like it if three cars going 65mph lined up on all three lanes when you wanted to go your "reasonable" 80? From their point of view, what you want to do is illegal, why should they move over for you? Cruising in the left lane is impolite, it should be kept open for passing. That also goes for the original poster who seemed to have been passing "glacially". As much as I hate it (I learned to drive in Europe), I have to pass on the right to avoid the bigger evil of tailgating - all caused by the likes of you who - nice car or not - have no clue about courteous driving...
rite on bro....

2006 325i | 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic/Terra Leather/Burl Walnut | ZPP/ZCW | Premium Sound/Navigation/Xenon/PDC/Satellite Radio
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 04:26 PM   #31
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Even works in the rain, how great is that?!!!! You were obviously wide awake to see him/her coming, and the fact that s/he was not stopping. You didn't happen to notice the cell phone?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #32
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Yea so i got in my first collision today

I was leaving my college and this 40 yr old lady was infront of me as we were leaving. Well she was taking an incredibly slow time leaving the parking lot, so i was watching to see if any cars were coming (wondering whats the hold up).. so i guess i was creeping forward *didnt realize it* and BOOM i rear end her. Thank GOD there was no damage to her or my car. I was prob going like 4mph. She still took my #.. but a guy waiting for the bus inspected the cars also and he said there was no marks at all. Whew!
Talk about a bad morning..

Last edited by BellasBmw; 09-22-2005 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2005, 08:46 PM   #33
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
hahahhahaaaaaaa!!! women!!...lol...jk
      09-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #34
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck724
hahahhahaaaaaaa!!! women!!...lol...jk
that's mean!

sorry about that, bella

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 12:57 AM   #35
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki
that's mean!

sorry about that, bella
im sorry nikki, i meant it as a joke, bella told me what happend before i read the post thats why i thought it was funny when i read it again...beleive me, i felt her pain!!!...
      09-23-2005, 05:25 AM   #36
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
so i guess i was creeping forward *didnt realize it* and BOOM i rear end her. Thank GOD there was no damage to her or my car. I was prob going like 4mph.
Here's some info from the UK 3-series brochure:

"Bumpers with reversible aluminium impact absorbers at the front (steel impact absorbers at the rear) withstand impacts at upto 2.5mph without damage.
Special deformation zones at the front & rear absorb impact forces at up to 9mph without damage to the car's body."

So it looks like you had that bump in a pretty safe car Bella, but don't take that safety for granted !
Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #37
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
Should've dumped 1/2 tank washer fluid when he was on your rear
Good Idea! I never thought of that. Some people will throw a roll of pennies out there sunroof and some bikers carry bricks or anything that will mess up a car. I dislike when someone rides my ass, but i hate when i see them doing it to a motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 06:03 AM   #38
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Yea so i got in my first collision today

I was leaving my college and this 40 yr old lady was infront of me as we were leaving. Well she was taking an incredibly slow time leaving the parking lot, so i was watching to see if any cars were coming (wondering whats the hold up).. so i guess i was creeping forward *didnt realize it* and BOOM i rear end her. Thank GOD there was no damage to her or my car. I was prob going like 4mph. She still took my #.. but a guy waiting for the bus inspected the cars also and he said there was no marks at all. Whew!
Talk about a bad morning..
OH THAT SUCKS, I am glad you and baby are ok!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 06:06 AM   #39
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saalim
IMO, aggressive tailgating is bad. But so is not letting someone pass on the fast lane.

NJ drivers are pretty agressive and I have often had to pass ppl on the right lane. I dont know if its because they dont notice me or is it because they feel like they dont have to move for me . In both cases, it gets a bit frustrating after you have been behind them for a couple of mins.

I was tailgating [not aggressively] this girl one time and she tapped her brakes!! Whats up with that.....the right lane was empty too. Anyways, I passed her on the right.....and she was pissed off as hell....was shouting and givin me the finger and stuff. I tend not to loose my cool while drivin, so I just smiled, drove by and tailgated the next idiot that was in my way.
:rocks:
I get that everyday! lol. That why I just haul ass on the GSP in the slow lane most of the time. F it pass all them on the right. I hate people in the fast lane doing 65mph. wtf is that move over and if they did traffic would flow so much better.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #40
saalim
Non Resident
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
I get that everyday! lol. That why I just haul ass on the GSP in the slow lane most of the time. F it pass all them on the right. I hate people in the fast lane doing 65mph. wtf is that move over and if they did traffic would flow so much better.

scottz5:

Have you tinted ur front and rear windows?

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #41
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
Rep
Drives: das gut

since taking delivery i've taken *great* pains on the freeway to drive as slowly (which means 80 and under) and as carefully as i can to avoid every tool on the road who seems to be gunning for me (a circa mid-80's porsche 928 last night). i need the time to break the car in and to become as familiar as possible with its operation and handling at lower and more maneuverable speeds so that when i really need to i'll be able to drive the car as completely as possible.
until then, i'm a mellow right-lane driver who respectfully yields to the crack-headed, gun-toting, speed freaks who seem to overpopulate our roads these days.
but for the sake of discussion, what does one do when left-lane driving as fast as traffic allows and someone wants to pass and there's no room on the right to yield (a common situation out here)?
-e-
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #42
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ
How would you like it if three cars going 65mph lined up on all three lanes when you wanted to go your "reasonable" 80?
Uh, the answer is ridiculously easy for me to answer, as it happens all the time: I don't tailgate, I wait, I pass when the time comes. I deserve a cookie.

Hey, I want to ride my bike on the sidewalks - pedestrians should move out of my way. This is analogous to speeders on the highway - what they're doing is illegal, and they expect other law-abiders to move out of the way.

It's common sense, folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2005, 12:56 PM   #43
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
I agree! God that is so annoying! They have 3 lanes of open free traffic but no they have to stay in the fast lane and go slow as hell. They deserve to be tail gated. Hey you know whats funny- ever since i got my car, ppl always move over now. When i was in my jetta, no one ever got over to let me pass.. Now they see this sexy aggressive car coming towards them and they all let me go. Interesting..