BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #45
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post

People keep worrying about the price, but it really doesnt matter. It will be supply and demand. If they price it really low, there will be a high demand, and dealers will mark them up to meet demand. If they are too high, the "gotta have it" buyers will pay the premium and then eventually when the rest don't move, you'll be able to get a deal on one. simple economics.

Um... The point isn't what's going to happen with pricing when the cars hit the dealers, and how dealers are going to adjust for demand level. The point is that BMW *could* price its target buyers right out of the ballpark.

If they are, in fact, shooting for educated people who previously purchased Japanese imports (as mentioned in a previous post), well then, there's no loyalty to BMW there (yet), and these people will just as quickly take their $3X,000 and plunk it down on one of the several excellent cars that are available.

I'm interested in the 1-series because of its capabilities, *not* because of its nameplate. If BMW wants to charge a $_K premium for the latter, I will take my money elsewhere.

I can assure you, what BMW does with the pricing DOES matter.
:smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #46
DCMotorer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
Agreed. Because BMW is a "premium" brand, the demand for its products are fairly inelastic compared to other brands. But given their target market for the 1, I would expect that price will have a much larger effect on demand.

As for the OP. WTF are you talking about? You're all over the map. All I can say is, English 101...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #47
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Look at it this way, if Michael Angelo and and Joe Random painted an exact copy of the same painting, say the Mona Lisa, then Joe Random took a bucket of red paint and threw it onto the center of the picture and finally sold his work for $5, the going rate for Michael Angelo's painting would be under $5.

At least from a production standpoint.

I get that the car enthusiast here worship the concept of balance and these fast small cars are really cool to them, but you have to understand that firstly how much YOU like the car is not important.

Most people if given the choice would take a CTS over a 135i, even if it is a full .9 second slower (according to manufacturer's statistics). Even if it probably does about 15% worse on the skid pad.

BMW isn't Ferrari here. It's BMW. It sells only 1/3rd as many cars as FORD in America.

Balance furthermore is great but it's what people SHOULD want, not what they DO want.

Us smart people may go for the 135i, but if we are talking lack of excess here, then what's the point of an unbalanced price?

Comparisons don't work at all especially if your PURPOSE is to absolutely have a car of a certain configuration like people here may want, but from an engineering a product standpoint they make sense very well.

onehots2k, please get your facts straight:

Brand name is irrelevant.
I like the pedals on the GTO.
On paper the 135i is rated at 5.5 in it's accelerating times. The GTO is 4.8, many Ferraris can't beat that.
It costs a tad under 32k not 35k
GTOs may weight 350 lbs more than the 135i but they post track times at the same pace as M3's.
could you find me a test other than a super speed way or a drag strip where a gto can compare to an m3 on the track. My best friend has a gto and just like my old 2000 camaro it goes great in a straight line but that's about it. brakes last about one lap on a road course 5 or 6 after we put better pads on it. and It just doesn't handle or feel that good.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 11:48 PM   #48
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
Um... The point isn't what's going to happen with pricing when the cars hit the dealers, and how dealers are going to adjust for demand level. The point is that BMW *could* price its target buyers right out of the ballpark.

If they are, in fact, shooting for educated people who previously purchased Japanese imports (as mentioned in a previous post), well then, there's no loyalty to BMW there (yet), and these people will just as quickly take their $3X,000 and plunk it down on one of the several excellent cars that are available.

I'm interested in the 1-series because of its capabilities, *not* because of its nameplate. If BMW wants to charge a $_K premium for the latter, I will take my money elsewhere.

still, all the speculation and worrying seems to be worthless. the pricing will be what the pricing will be. we can only wait to find out what it is, then start deciding if the car may be a good buy for us.

if BMW prices the car too high, it could very well flop and they could miss out on a lot of new first-time BMW buyers, which could have developed into future "brand loyalty" purchases. it will also dissapoint a lot of people who were looking for a "return to performance" as it has been advertised.

i know they don't want the car to flop, but its not impossible that BMW could totally go wrong on their pricing.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #49
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrann View Post
This guy makes a pretty good argument for the GTO. In fact, I think I'll get one instead of the 1. Oh wait, Pontiac dropped the GTO even though it was such a success.
Still lots of 06's on the lots to choose from :biggrin: Big discounts too !! :smile:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #50
M00C0W25
Rep
Drives:

I really hope English is not your first language, because otherwise you are just attempting to sound much more intelligent than you really are. Being verbose does not make your argument any more compelling, especially when what you are posting makes no sense. I am not trying to be harsh, but after reading through three pages of this my head hurts. :biggrin:

-Matt
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #51
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

+1^
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #52
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

Mustang,GTO,CTS > any BMW .. LOL

This guy is hilarious, give a talk show or something.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #53
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00C0W25 View Post
I really hope English is not your first language, because otherwise you are just attempting to sound much more intelligent than you really are. Being verbose does not make your argument any more compelling, especially when what you are posting makes no sense. I am not trying to be harsh, but after reading through three pages of this my head hurts. :biggrin:

-Matt
      09-20-2007, 12:48 AM   #54
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Numbers and figures aside I have driven Mustang, CTS, and 330i and the first two cars are pretty dismal in handling department. Unless you opt for a CTS-V or a Mustang Cobra you aren't not going to get a suspension that will satisfy a purist and these premium edition come with higher price tag. I don't have the exact figures but CTSV and Cobra must be in the 30k+s.

If all you are after is horse power then absolutely you can find cheaper horse power else where. If you want a more balanced sports sedan then BMW is your choice but it will cost you. People have different financial situations so I think it's a moot point to compare cars at different price range. What is cheap to you can be expensive to someone else and this changes the meaning of value. Only once in awhile you can find a car that screams value without scraficing something else.

That's my 2 cents.. I will have to take a hiatus from participating in this forum because of work/school but I will try to stop by everyday. So much of my valuable time is spent on this forum and I am sure it's the same way with all of you.
      09-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #55
torv
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

Any product's value is measured by how much people are willing to pay for it. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #56
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post

...On paper the 135i is rated at 5.5 in it's accelerating times. The GTO is 4.8, many Ferraris can't beat that.
I was reading the forums and had to join after reading this. What a tool. Someone should inform Ferrari that their cars don't do 0-60 in under 4.8.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #57
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-n-1 View Post
I was reading the forums and had to join after reading this. What a tool. Someone should inform Ferrari that their cars don't do 0-60 in under 4.8.
:headbang: ya hes probably talking about the 599
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #58
968PORSCHE
968PORSCHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE 968

I had to sign back in myself after reading this.

A couple of years ago I drove my 968 down to the Ford dealer and tested a Mach 1. The best way to describe the way it drove was this. If I filled a wheelbarrow with cement and strapped it to my hood, then let half the air out of my tires, the experience would have been similar. Oh and if I had my kid yelling car sounds into my ear I think you have it. VAAAAROOOOM!

HA! What a piece of crap it was. Loud and sloppy.

On the other hand my bosses 740i had a very similar handling feel as the Porsche. (At lease in everyday driving). Which is saying something.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #59
968PORSCHE
968PORSCHE
United_States
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE 968

where the hell did get your info Legion 5!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #60
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschelover View Post
I had to sign back in myself after reading this.

A couple of years ago I drove my 968 down to the Ford dealer and tested a Mach 1. The best way to describe the way it drove was this. If I filled a wheelbarrow with cement and strapped it to my hood, then let half the air out of my tires, the experience would have been similar. Oh and if I had my kid yelling car sounds into my ear I think you have it. VAAAAROOOOM!

HA! What a piece of crap it was. Loud and sloppy.

On the other hand my bosses 740i had a very similar handling feel as the Porsche. (At lease in everyday driving). Which is saying something.
Haha!! I've had a similar experience.
      09-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #61
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

It doesn't bother me that this guy feels the way he does, thats fine. FYI, you can get 360whp for 1400 with just a chip. that'll give you a hp to weight ratio of a gt500 and you still get the handling.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #62
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

this thread needs to die already and be filed under NOA 'Never Open Again'
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:06 AM   #63
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Where's that dead horse when you need it?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 08:29 AM   #64
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #65
chemhalo
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zba857 View Post
this thread needs to die already and be filed under NOA 'Never Open Again'
I just read through this thread for the first time.... i can never get those minutes of my life back!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:52 AM   #66
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemhalo View Post
I just read through this thread for the first time.... i can never get those minutes of my life back!!!

Best laugh of the week - thanks!!!
Appreciate 0