07-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #23
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Oddly enough, not being a 1M owner, that's my least favorite thing about it. With any company that makes goods, from BMW to Rolex to Supreme to Hermes, artificially withholding supply rubs me the wrong way and makes me not want the product, despite the obvious retail/investment advantages of it.
I also hate to say this but 6000 1m produce worldwide is not low or even rare, its just a fun car and that everybody likes, so demand makes it rare. This is far from rare, was in new zealand last couple of weeks for vacation and saw a VO in Auckland, another fella just bought one here in my town. I wish all could have it and enjoy it, but for some, they just a collector and its a shame.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:40 PM   #24
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRSTM View Post
Quote:
Oddly enough, not being a 1M owner, that's my least favorite thing about it. With any company that makes goods, from BMW to Rolex to Supreme to Hermes, artificially withholding supply rubs me the wrong way and makes me not want the product, despite the obvious retail/investment advantages of it.
I also hate to say this but 6000 1m produce worldwide is not low or even rare, its just a fun car and that everybody likes, so demand makes it rare. This is far from rare, was in new zealand last couple of weeks for vacation and saw a VO in Auckland, another fella just bought one here in my town. I wish all could have it and enjoy it, but for some, they just a collector and its a shame.
740+ for the US is pretty rare; compared to other german cars and BMWs.
duder13767.00
      07-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #25
Sonicboy
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Quote:
740+ for the US is pretty rare; compared to other german cars and BMWs.

Only 450 in the U.K. I would say that's rare
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #26
touringteg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

220 for Canada and most have never even seen one in person.

Not rare worldwide but in some countries they are very rare cars.
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00
      07-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #27
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
As others have said, 740 of them in the US is pretty rare. To put that into perspective, that's about how many Lamborghinis were sold in the US in 2014. Granted, Lamborghini had two models with a few variations, but still.

Still, a BMW exec coming out and saying they limited the car to maintain value and artificially create rarity doesn't sit well with me.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #28
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
As others have said, 740 of them in the US is pretty rare. To put that into perspective, that's about how many Lamborghinis were sold in the US in 2014. Granted, Lamborghini had two models with a few variations, but still.

Still, a BMW exec coming out and saying they limited the car to maintain value and artificially create rarity doesn't sit well with me.
I know he said it, but he may have been blowing smoke. They weren't sure the car would sell well, which is why they hadn't greenlighted the product years earlier. Thanks to the secret project pyrat effort, we got the car. Production started as e82 series production was wrapping up and I believe they were surprised by the demand, and kept making them well beyond the original plan, until the e82 line had to be shutdown and retooled for a new model.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #29
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
So ill get in on the original question . . .

Two awesome things:
1) Bulldog stance - just plain stout. The car looks at a Cayman and says "f#&k you."
2) Raw driving experience - with the nannies off, the car does exactly what you instruct it to do, for better or for worse. You had better know what you are doing!

Two unfortunate things:
1) Power seats raise the seating position too much. I wish I were at least an inch lower, but don't want the programming headaches of aftermarket seats and refuse to drop coin for the overpriced performance seats. I wish I had the manual adjustable seats, but the allotment was already ordered when I put my deposit on the car.
2) Hmmm . . . can't think of anything else.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1201.50
10"4946.00
      07-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #30
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:

I know he said it, but he may have been blowing smoke. They weren't sure the car would sell well, which is why they hadn't greenlighted the product years earlier. Thanks to the secret project pyrat effort, we got the car. Production started as e82 series production was wrapping up and I believe they were surprised by the demand, and kept making them well beyond the original plan, until the e82 line had to be shutdown and retooled for a new model.
Is that true tho? Didn't they continue to make the 128 and 135 into 2013?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:00 PM   #31
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Didn't they continue to make the 128 and 135 into 2013?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #32
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Didn't they continue to make the 128 and 135 into 2013?
Yes
Hmmm....I didn't realize that. That is a shame then.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:55 AM   #33
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:

Is that true tho? Didn't they continue to make the 128 and 135 into 2013?
Yes and the talk about the N54 production being ceased is total nonsense too because the N54 stayed in production in the Z4 til when? 2015 or 2016?

It is a true mystery why the 1M was only made for 1 model year. My feeling was that it was to generate hysteria for the next gen 2-series which it did. Do you remember when the underwhelming M235 came out? All everyone wanted to do was compare it to the 1M. It was pretty comical really...
      07-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #34
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Not sure how much difference there is mounting a N55 vs N54 into a 1 series, but I think there were enough problems with the N54 to transition it out. 135i stock cars almost always overheat in Track days/HPDE... getting the S55 into the 2 series was a brilliant move though as the M3/M4 were just getting too big

I keep reading that the 1M were produced using the spare manufacturing capacity and in 2012, the 1 series switched to N55 in a planned move (which in my mind, more a cost cutting more than just reliability). If you think of it with the perspective of an unplanned execution, it makes more sense that they only made them for 1 year
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      07-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #35
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post

I keep reading that the 1M were produced using the spare manufacturing capacity and in 2012, the 1 series switched to N55 in a planned move (which in my mind, more a cost cutting more than just reliability).
Well, sure, because the newer engine cut down on complexity, but they likely weren’t ready to reliably add power to the N55 for the 1M. The same happened with the M2 using the N55, despite the B58 being available.

Ultimately, the N55 had lots of design improvements over the N54, like better engine block cooling, and the N54’s only real advantage over it is when going for massive power mods, because of the twin-turbo (and maybe the forged crank.)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:51 PM   #36
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Not sure how much difference there is mounting a N55 vs N54 into a 1 series, but I think there were enough problems with the N54 to transition it out. 135i stock cars almost always overheat in Track days/HPDE... getting the S55 into the 2 series was a brilliant move though as the M3/M4 were just getting too big

I keep reading that the 1M were produced using the spare manufacturing capacity and in 2012, the 1 series switched to N55 in a planned move (which in my mind, more a cost cutting more than just reliability). If you think of it with the perspective of an unplanned execution, it makes more sense that they only made them for 1 year
The official reason was emissions standards changing. The Z4 continued with the N54 but it's very low volume even compared with the 135 and 335. The N55 was a much cheaper engine to make. No forged internals, single turbo, and really good performance. That being said it was no N54. The S55 was largely built in the basis of the N54 idea.
      07-30-2019, 01:06 AM   #37
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The official reason was emissions standards changing. The Z4 continued with the N54 but it's very low volume even compared with the 135 and 335. The N55 was a much cheaper engine to make. No forged internals, single turbo, and really good performance. That being said it was no N54. The S55 was largely built in the basis of the N54 idea.
The N55 was undoubtedly simpler and cheaper to make, but it’s really only the N54’s forged crank that is an advantage, assuming stock power levels, and even the advantage of that is dubious at stock’ish power, since failure is unlikely to happen. Both had forged pistons, and the N55 has better cooling channels in the block, valvetronic, is smoother, has a larger powerband, sounds better, is more environmentally friendly, and is generally more reliable, among other things.

Of course, all of that goes out the window if you’re going for big gains, since you’d want those twin-turbos, but, for anyone not going for 450hp+, I’d pick the N55.

Last edited by duder13; 07-30-2019 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:12 AM   #38
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The N55 was undoubtedly simpler and cheaper to make, but it’s really only the N54’s forged crank that is an advantage, assuming stock power levels, and even the advantage of that is dubious at stock’ish power, since failure is unlikely to happen. Both had forged pistons, and the N55 has better cooling channels in the block, valvetronic, is smoother, has a larger powerband, sounds better, is more environmentally friendly, and is generally more reliable, among other things.

Of course, all of that goes out the window if you’re going for big gains, since you’d want those twin-turbos, but, for anyone not going for 450hp+, I’d pick the N55.
I really liked the N55 I had in my 135is...but in terms of power and performance the N54 feels more cavernous and bold. The N54 is very reliable when kept stock; the peeps who modify the N54 run into trouble...
ayao627.50
Tornado1M1201.50
      07-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #39
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I really liked the N55 I had in my 135is...but in terms of power and performance the N54 feels more cavernous and bold. The N54 is very reliable when kept stock; the peeps who modify the N54 run into trouble...
Interesting. I have to wonder how much of that has to do with it being in the 1M, because, when I was shopping for a regular 135i, I didn't find much in it. Did you ever compare stock N54 135i vs. N55 135i? The N54 maybe felt slightly more jumpy, but the N55 was smoother and sounded better. All in all, not much in it at stock levels, and reliability of the N55 is better, even at stock levels. That was a reason for the redesign.

Either way, I'm certainly not here M bashing. I love the 1M, big time! I just like talking nuance. I'll trade ya any time.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 05:03 PM   #40
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I have to wonder how much of that has to do with it being in the 1M, because, when I was shopping for a regular 135i, I didn't find much in it. Did you ever compare stock N54 135i vs. N55 135i? The N54 maybe felt slightly more jumpy, but the N55 was smoother and sounded better. All in all, not much in it at stock levels, and reliability of the N55 is better, even at stock levels. That was a reason for the redesign.

Either way, I'm certainly not here M bashing. I love the 1M, big time! I just like talking nuance. I'll trade ya any time.
They feel very different to me. The N55 has less turbo lag and felt almost closer to an N/A the turbo is so smooth. I felt it revved out better at higher RPMs. The N54 feels like an ass kicker from 1k through 4K RPM.

I have driven a regular 135 with an N54 and the twin turbos feel different compared to the N55. In the 1M the twin turbos feel a bit more dramatic but similar...

I do agree the N55 sounds better!!! Definitely
      08-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #41
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
They feel very different to me. The N55 has less turbo lag and felt almost closer to an N/A the turbo is so smooth. I felt it revved out better at higher RPMs. The N54 feels like an ass kicker from 1k through 4K RPM.

I have driven a regular 135 with an N54 and the twin turbos feel different compared to the N55. In the 1M the twin turbos feel a bit more dramatic but similar...

Yeah, I’m running a linear throttle program on my N55 car, so it is even smoother! Have you considered that on your 1M? It gets rid of the weird, 80% of the power in the first couple of inches feeling that manufacturers have been doing since throttle-by-wire started.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #42
asn993
asn993
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6m 1M conversion

Only 300 Down Under
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #43
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I’m running a linear throttle program on my N55 car, so it is even smoother! Have you considered that on your 1M? It gets rid of the weird, 80% of the power in the first couple of inches feeling that manufacturers have been doing since throttle-by-wire started.
Haha really there's a program for that? Interesting. I don't really want to change anything on my car! But interesting that even exists!
      08-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #44
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haha really there's a program for that? Interesting. I don't really want to change anything on my car! But interesting that even exists!
Yeah, it’s an option on the simple MHD tune.

I never understood why the M button on M cars makes the throttle jumpier. If anything, it seems like one would want more control, not less, in a track car. I guess it just makes the car “feel” faster when a small press of the throttle launches the car forward, which sells.
Appreciate 0